Wow, the Vmax sure eats tires. Cost of doing business with the sport bikes...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acammer

Reaction score
I was giving Mr. Max the once over before my ride into work this morning, and I notice just how much I've work that OEM Dunlop K525 in the 1500 miles I've put on the bike since buying it this winter. When I bought it, I had a decent amount of depth to that center groove. At this point, it just doesn't really exist, and I have significant wear into the shoulders of the tire.

How well wearing is that K525 tire? I've only had experience with Avons and Metzlers, the ME880's will be going on this bike once that K525 is done. Any other replacements I should consider? The ME880 was always a bit hard, but it wore well.

I am not complaining, I certainly have been working that tire hard. Every chance I get to line up with a sport bike at a light I make sure to take some pride from an unsuspecting fool thinking he's going to dust that guy next to him on the cruiser. Just last night I took a couple of guys with 600's, and even one poorly ridden 'Busa with a stretch... that guy I had expected to give me a run for my money. Nobody seems to know how to launch a bike these days - guys giving their "best effort" off the line are for the most part easily crushed from a stop. Most of the smaller (under 1000cc) sport bikes I can take a good lead at the launch and they don't have enough to catch up even into the triple digits. The bigger bore (R1, GSXR1000, etc) guys still get trashed off the line, but if they are determined, they can usually make that up by the time we get into the higher speeds.

Go to a 170 Metzler on the rear, They rock and still left me with 1/4" clearance...

I run into a lot of inexperience myself. Took a ZX-7 once on my 1200 Sportster... Outran 1, R1, he got a jump on me but I passed him at 125. Caught up with another R1 that had 6 extra teeth on his rear sprocket but when he saw me beside him he hit the next gear and went up to 150. Left me in the dust. He did admit SkullDuggery ( My 89 ) is very fast though...:biglaugh:

Go to a 170 Metzler on the rear, They rock and still left me with 1/4" clearance...

I run into a lot of inexperience myself. Took a ZX-7 once on my 1200 Sportster... Outran 1, R1, he got a jump on me but I passed him at 125. Caught up with another R1 that had 6 extra teeth on his rear sprocket but when he saw me beside him he hit the next gear and went up to 150. Left me in the dust. He did admit SkullDuggery ( My 89 ) is very fast though...:biglaugh:
Dave, what mods have you done to your 89...just curious. My 95 is bone stock. All the kids around here think they will blow my Max away, however, haven't raced anyone yet. I really baby the Max and to be honest, I would not know how to launch it. :confused2:

Last edited:
Dave, what mods have you done to your 89...just curious. My 95 is bone stock. All the kids around here think they will blow my Max away, however, haven't raced anyone yet. I really baby the Max and to be honest, I would not know how to launch it. :confused2:

Launching Mr. Max isn't too bad... for all out I hold about 6000rpm, left foot on the foot peg, right foot supporting the bike nice and straight up. I sit in the middle of the seat, but with lean forwards. When the green drops, I get off that clutch pretty quick (not the same as dumping it, but not playing around with slip much), and as the revs start to fall I quickly roll on the throttle (again, not the same as slamming it open). Feet both on the pegs immediately, moving to a shifting position - I'm not worried about the tuck yet, just getting off a clean 1-2 shift. I usually have to lean into the bars pretty good to keep the front tire from climbing too high, if I've launched it right it'll usually carry for most of first gear just a few inches off the ground. As soon as I light the shfit light at 8800 rpm I make my first shift, for the I feather the clutch and throttle, and try to be intention and make full travel into second with my foot, or else I'm going to just find neutral. Third comes up pretty quick, and I remain focused on make that shift count too. Most street races end somewhere in third for me, but if we're really going all out, I at that point get down into a good tuck and try to make a fat guy skinny.

My Max is pretty much stock, and I haven't had trouble with ANYTHING from a stop yet. I have fought some good roll ons and lost again similar displacement sport bikes, but from the stop light, Mr. Max with its weight, gears, and torque, has the big advantage.

I love how a thread about tires turns into a thread about launching :) See what the Max does to a person.

I love how a thread about tires turns into a thread about launching :) See what the Max does to a person.

I think there is probably a pretty good cause and effect lesson here... the launching has caused the wear, and the thread about tires. And you'll notice we haven't had a word about tire recommendations, thoughts on the K525, the ME880, and others. Well, SpecOps did give a nod toward the Metzlers... all is not lost.

And you'll notice we haven't had a word about tire recommendations, thoughts on the K525, the ME880, and others. Well, SpecOps did give a nod toward the Metzlers... all is not lost.

True, very true. My rear K525 is showing fabric in a place or two now. I hear a lot of positive about the ME880. However I am still second guessing the $$. I am also curious about the Bridgestone Exedras and a couple different Pirellis Night Dragons.

And you'll notice we haven't had a word about tire recommendations, thoughts on the K525, the ME880, and others. Well, SpecOps did give a nod toward the Metzlers... all is not lost.

Heard nothing but bad reviews on the dunlop
Heard nothing but good on 880's. Good grip and wear
I like the shinkos. CHEAP. Great grip. Shitty mileage
Bridgestone excedras had good grip IMO. I didn't get many miles out of them though.

If you ride hard no tire that actually hooks up is going to last very long.

I like the Dunlop D404's but not the K525. I had D404's on my other bike and they handled great. But the Dunlop K525 on the rear of the vmax right now really sucks. Feels really unstable on the rear. No traction at all either.

I run a D404 110 tire on the front. I love the tire doesn't track the road and has great grip.

Latest posts

Back