Wow, This is Insane Driving. :-))))))

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, thanks for posting that. The track happened to be the last race for one of the greatest pre-WW II drivers ever, Alberto Ascari (below).

Aaahhh, Montlhery, where Ettoire Bugatti added to his reputation. When Duesenbergs developed juice brakes and Bugatti didn't adopt them, staying w/cable-operated brakes, someone asked him, "why not?"

His reply: "I build my cars to go, not to stop!"

That kinda makes me think this driver has the same idea-use it up and discard it. I don't follow rallying, but would assume that's some AWD Ford rally car w/twin turbos. I kept wincing, hearing it stutter from the rev limiter. From the sound of that engine, I bet the wheels and tires weren't the only thing that was disposed-of after filming that!

FRANCE

AUTODROME DE LINAS-MONTLH?RY - Paris (F)

hery.gif

Type: Autodrome + road course
Length, Full course: 12.492 km (7.762 mi)
Shorter variant: 6.276 km (3.9 mi) [SIZE=-1](Note 1)http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/t1.htm#NOTE1,[/SIZE]
"Circuit routier" 5.0 km (3.1 mi),
"Piste de Vitesse" 2.55 km (1.583 mi) [SIZE=-1](Note 2)
http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/t1.htm#NOTE1
Location: Between the towns of Montlh?ry and Arpajon, south of Paris, France.
Used: 1924 -
[/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Designed by Raymond Jamin and financed by newspaper magnate Lamblin the Montlh?ry racetrack was built in 1924 amid the heather and trees on the St Eutrope plateau south of Paris as an steeply banked oval for record breaking. The oval consited of two constant 250m radius curves and four parabolic sectors that connected the curves with the straights that were just 179m long. The autodrome section known as the "Piste de Vitesse" included the pits, main stands, start and finish. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The next year a road course was added. From the autodrome the track went westwards out in the woods and the cars could either do the full course or turn back earlier at the "Les Quatre Bornes" link (5 km) or at the "Coulard link" (6.3 km). Even if the road course was slower than the autodrome it still consisted of several long straights making the track into one of the fastest in Europe.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The first French GP at Montlh?ry in 1925 ended in tragedy as Alfa Romeo driver Antonio Ascari crashed fatally near Les Biscornes. The track held the French GP again in 1927, 1931 and 1933. The 1934 race saw the international debut for the Auto Union and Mercedes but the German teams had not yet found the reliability and Chiron could take a popular victory for Alfa Romeo. A minor car event organized that year by the French Motorcycle club used the 5 km track permutation.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For the 1935 Grand Prix the organizers added three chicanes (as seen in the picture) to hinder a German walkover but to no avail as Mercedes took a double victory. In 1935 the GP de l'U.M.F. (Union motocycliste francaise) used the 6.3 km track. To hinder a repeat in 1936 the French automobile club decided to turn the French GP into a sports car event. Wimille & Sommer in Bugatti won in 1936 and Chiron with a Talbot in 1937. In 1937 Montlh?ry also saw the "Fonds de Courses" million francs duel between Wimille's Bugatti and Dreyfus' Delahaye, with the latter ending up as the winner. In 1938 Montlh?ry lost the French GP to Reims and was never able to regain it. However a good 12 h our sports car race sponsored by the fuel company Olazur was run but the plans to repeat the race the next year was interrupted by the war. A minor race, the Coupe de Paris, sponsored by the same fuel company was however held in 1939.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In 1939 the track was sold to the government and taken over by the War Ministry. Just like Brooklands, Montlh?ry suffered badly during the war years. Under a long time lease from the government racing returned after the war. After a two year renovation the track was used for sports car racing and many record attempts until it was no longer fit for major events and had to be closed in 1973. In the 1990's a short variant of the track was re-opened and racing continues on to this day in a small scale. [/FONT]
For the French GP see also Reims.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Footnote:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1. 6.276 km is a suspicious number as it is exactly 3.9 miles.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2. Total length according to plans were 2494 m. (http://autodrome.over-blog.com/arti...de-l-autodrome-de-montlhery-1-3-74751399.html)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Montlh?ry own site says 2 548.24 m (http://www.montlhery.com/autodrom_eng.htm) [/FONT]

Fire-medic, I still hear that rev limiter bounce and I haven't watched the video since I posted it.
Drove me NUTS and still is....:confused2::ummm::rofl_200:

that is ken block for you that dude can drive. i would ride in a sec.............:punk:

Love Ken's video's. :biglaugh: Hadn't seen that one.

There was much less evidence of repeated takes of shots, which made me smile! (Apart from the donuts) Some of his earlier vid's were quite bad like that. Keep the fans happy Ken, don't go over the same black marks over and over. :biglaugh:

Which I could do it ...

Latest posts

Back