• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 4 Brush Starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my 88 after being stranded at a few gas stations. Used is fine so long as it works as new.
So far as I know the new starter will fit my bike and is the best way to get rid of hot start issues? Already bought a new odyssey battery.

Thanks,

Connor

I bought a 4 brush cheap on e-bay and it works well. Do check out the crimp fix, and clean, & load test all your cables. Especially the grounds. A good battery is a great start. Make sure the charging system is up to snuff too. The early R/R weren't very good. 1988 has the early R/R. Once upgraded and maintained, hot start issues are in your past.
Steve-o

I bought a 4 brush cheap on e-bay and it works well. Do check out the crimp fix, and clean, & load test all your cables. Especially the grounds. A good battery is a great start. Make sure the charging system is up to snuff too. The early R/R weren't very good. 1988 has the early R/R. Once upgraded and maintained, hot start issues are in your past.
Steve-o

True dat !!:biglaugh:

I've got a few used 4 brush starters but i'm not going to be as cheap as an unwarrantied ebay part.

Steve-o

Do you remember which specific one you got off eBay?

Just put the oddessey battery in and WOW what a difference. Starts like a normal bike now, even when I restarted it hot! Not even gonna bother installing the 4 brush starter I bought. I highly recommend this battery.

Just put the oddessey battery in and WOW what a difference. Starts like a normal bike now, even when I restarted it hot! Not even gonna bother installing the 4 brush starter I bought. I highly recommend this battery.

If you're not going to use the 4 brush starter you want to sell it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2 brush starter in my 85 was replaced at about 20,000 miles. There were no 4 brush starters available then, so another 2 brush unit went in. I had years of starting problems,even after the replacement, until I followed Sean's advice and did the Gold Wing battery mod. Upgrading to a Series voltage regulator was another positive change. Bike charges great, at 14.4 volts, and the relay operated headlight, (another good mod by the way..) will start grass fires it's so bright. As far as the starter, it turns the engine over like the plugs are out. Totally effortlessly.

No starter will work well if there isn't enough juice to operate efficiently. The starter I replaced back in the day is still working fine, I never touched it since it went in, and it's lasted over 100,000 miles.

If you're not going to use the 4 brush starter you want to sell it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Already sold it, but it's on eBay for ~$70 if you want one. It's the one with the yellow background if you just search vmax starters.

Can't base it on fact yet but my 84 XVZ 1200, the pre vmax engine basis, uses a 91 & up Venture 1300 Mitsubiishi sm13 as the 4 brush upgrade. Should be the same as the Vmax and should be easier to fine cheaper.

Steve-o

Are the benefits worth the purchase of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it spin faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't really say since I made other changes at the same time, like a Shorie battery, crimp eliminated and cleaned all the wiring contacts up. The 4 brush should have more torque, but a 2 brush in good condition works ok. A good internal cleanup does wonders for them.

Latest posts

Back