• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Clutch lever Assembly

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMaxx

Reaction score
Clutch master cylinder is leaking. Bike is sitting for winter and the leak has ruined the clear coat on the left scoop, pretty disappointing. I suppose I could try and replace just the master cylinder, but it appears that the bike has tipped over at some point in it's life and the clutch lever is a little wobbly and I figure its safer to replace the whole lever assembly.

The lever can likely be saved and made better with one of our bearing kits ($20) which makes a smoother operation anyway. It is very common for there to be some up/down play in them. Also, i'd suggest getting a rebuild kit (which we should also have on hand) and simply rebuild yours. I am sure I have good used masters on hand but cost would be higher then simply fixing your own.

ANOTHER alternative is to take yours apart. Clean up the bore and piston/seals and simply reassemble. Many times it's just a little corrosion in there causing the leak.

Thanks for laying out some options. The bike did live near an ocean before I bought it, so the corrosion theory is most likely true. I popped the lid off and there was gross black sludge at the bottom of the reservoir. Maybe I'll try to take the master cylinder apart and see what kind of condition the core is in and see if it's salvageable.

Can you please give me pricing for each of those options?

Email me at [email protected] if you would. Way more then 50% of the time they can simply be cleaned up and be just fine. Close to the rest of the others can be cleaned and new internals put in.

For a quick fix, I used a spring washer with nickle-based Never-Seez to take out the floppy play in the levers:
wave-spring-washer-beryllium-copper-steel.jpg

I am now going to look into one of those bearing kits Sean mentioned!

Latest posts

Back