• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB yamaha backrest and rack

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unnormal

Reaction score
Looking to buy an oem yamaha backrest and luggage rack for a Gen 1.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I just picked up a vmax. Is that a fair price?

Is that your listing?

I just picked up a vmax. Is that a fair price?

Is that your listing?

That is an OK price.....but for that price you would expect it to look a little bit nicer. Usually they will run 250-350.

Rusty live in California.....and the listing is from Corpus Tx.

Buy either the whole thing, that's the backrest hoop/pad, and the two sidemount handgrips (grabrails), which are connected by a small stamped steel piece, and the luggage rack, w/its two stamped-steel mounting points which attach to the sissy bar combo.

If you buy things 'piecemeal,' you're probably going to buy it at a higher cost. I would say the going price for one in decent shape is $300 and they have gone for considerably-more than that.

Many have cosmetic issues. The backpads are prone to deterioration. It's just a piece of plywood, foam rubber and naugahyde, but getting one made is gonna be expensive. There are some 'close-approximations' you can find for aftermarket replacement.

The side grabmount handbars are probably $100 apiece if they aren't cracked or the holes stripped.

A real-world price is the four pieces (two grabrails, sissy bar, luggage rack) in good shape at $100 apiece, and that's counting the stamped steel piece under the passenger seat holding the two grabrails/sissy bar hoop assembly, the backpad, and the luggage rack mounts in the price.

They have gone at much-higher prices for freshly-powdercoated ones comparable to N.O.S.

You should consider the Cycle-istic backrest/rack in the banner ad. http://www.cycle-istic.com/index.php

I agree with FM unless you are just set on oem. A backrest is a backrest and mine was $19.

I think the OEM backrest has a lot of appearance value, the bike can definitely feel 'more-safe' to a passenger, but it really becomes a 'wheelie-machine' if someone is back-there, and your right wrist starts rotating, hard.

Having any backrest at all is better for a passenger, the Cycle-istic is a much better product than the stocker in function, it can carry more on the rack, which is larger, and easier to load/secure due to the notches and pattern. If I recall the stock rack has a 'load capacity' of something like 8 lbs! I'd guess that's about a 12-pack of suds.

I agree with FM unless you are just set on oem. A backrest is a backrest and mine was $19.

A member on here has a rack that he wants $150 for. He is also selling his Vmax and when I looked at pictures I saw a backrest so I asked if he wanted to sell it. I offered $150 for a starting price because he was asking $150 for his rack so I figured that would be $300 total. He said no thanks, so I asked what he wanted and I didn't get a response. I was willing to pay more but oh well..... I guess I insulted him with my offer.

Also, Davesax36 has a cycle-istic one for sale. I wanted one and now I'm kind of on the fence.

I've got a few in the sale album in better condition for similar prices (or cheaper for similar condition)

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not a big fan of backrests but the wife feels better about riding with one so I guess I need one. Styling wise I like the flow of the oem one best I think.

I saw your post Sean, thank you for responding to my email so quickly.

I guess I have some decisions to make.

Back