WTF is a Plug Chop????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[SIZE=+1]1. Get new spark plug(s), but don't put them in yet.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]2. Warm up motor to operating temp on old plugs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]3. Install new plugs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]4. Accelerate through all gears to top gear with throttle pinned.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]5. When you hit the top of the top gear, hit the kill switch and[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]pull in the clutch.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]6. Remove the spark plug(s) and ride home on the old plug(s).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]7. Hold the new plug in a vise and use a hacksaw to cut the threads[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]away from the center electrode.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]8. You should see a brown 2mm "smoke ring" at the base of the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]white center electrode if the main jets are dialed in perfect.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]9. if the smoke ring is darker than chocolate brown or taller[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]than 2mm, you're rich on the mains, but if it revs clean to full[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]throttle, you can leave it there and be on the rich side.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]10. If the smoke ring is smaller than 2mm or lighter than chocolate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]brown, you're lean on the mains, go up a size and try again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Chopped plug Illustration:[/SIZE]
plugchops2.jpg
Below is a series of plug chops ranging from extremely rich to slightly lean.
plugchops.jpg

Blaxmax, you forgot between #5 & #6:

#5.5 Try desperately to recover from the tank slapper death wobble just induced by killing the engine at 150 MPH. :surprise:

#5.75 Adjust ass on seat to minimize that horrible feeling of having crap in your pants. :blink000:

I think on a Vmax redline in 4th would suffice to get a good reading on the plugs. :biglaugh:

#5.5 Try desperately to recover from the tank slapper death wobble just induced by killing the engine at 150 MPH. :surprise:

#5.75 Adjust ass on seat to minimize that horrible feeling of having crap in your pants. :blink000:

I think on a Vmax redline in 4th would suffice to get a good reading on the plugs. :biglaugh:

That's the way I did it Mark, but being crouched down beside my bike at the Taconic Pkwy southbound scenic overlook....after just red lining it in forth a quarter mile up the road....made me feel too much like LEO bait! :biglaugh:

So I only did it the once! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

That's the way I did it Mark, but being crouched down beside my bike at the Taconic Pkwy southbound scenic overlook....after just red lining it in forth a quarter mile up the road....made me feel too much like LEO bait! :biglaugh:

:punk: not best place to tempt fait lol I've seen that first hand....

It's not mine- I only go through 1st gear then shut off.

:punk: not best place to tempt fait lol I've seen that first hand....

There are lots of ways to do a plug chop (altho I don't think the name actually means to 'chop' a new set of plugs apart :biglaugh:). I like the 4K in 4th gear and whack it WOT to redline and shut down. But those Mark's, Holeshots & Kerkers draw even the hearing impaired LEO's in from the next county.

Yeah, we've seen that firsthand alright!!

There are lots of ways to do a plug chop (altho I don't think the name actually means to 'chop' a new set of plugs apart :biglaugh:). I like the 4K in 4th gear and whack it WOT to redline and shut down. But those Mark's, Holeshots & Kerkers draw even the hearing impaired LEO's in from the next county.

Yeah, we've seen that firsthand alright!!

Hell my UFO perks their ears up just off idle...lol

LOL!

I the only time I ever did a plug chop it was around 95 degrees out and I burned my knuckles several times as sweat poured into my eyes. That was on the shoulder of RTE 287.......with no shade in sight for several miles. Not fun.

Should have planned that better :)

LOL!

I the only time I ever did a plug chop it was around 95 degrees out and I burned my knuckles several times as sweat poured into my eyes. That was on the shoulder of RTE 287.......with no shade in sight for several miles. Not fun.

Should have planned that better :)

I know exactly what you mean Mark!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I was in town, stopped at a red light, and then turned right. 1/2 a block up 2 LEOS had pulled someone over and all of them were on the shoulder of the road. As I went past (driving normally) all 3 STOPPED what they were doing, and watched me as I went past.

I have to admit though.....thats a GREAT feeling.
Yes it is.
I have actually been stopped a few times just because the Police Officer wanted to check out my Vmax. :punk:

As far as doing a Plug Chop goes,.
It's a good tool to diagnose issues but luckily my plugs have always looked great so I have never bothered doing a plug chop.

Back