WyoTech 22nd Annual Horsepower Shootout

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax_nc

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Well its that time again and I:thumbs up::thumbs up: well be running the 1570 max at the shootout tomorrow at WyoTech. Made a pull today and got 207.53 HP. My shootout finals will be at 12:15am. Anyone in Daytona come on by, Maybe I can pull it off again this year.

Marcus

God damn. *shakes head* Sadly I dont think I will ever afford to get motor work done like that on my vmax lol.

Congrats.

Hey everyone, Well its that time again and I:thumbs up::thumbs up: well be running the 1570 max at the shootout tomorrow at WyoTech. Made a pull today and got 207.53 HP. My shootout finals will be at 12:15am. Maybe I can pull it off again this year.

Marcus
Good luck, show them who is boss

I am guessing that is 12:15 p.m.! I will probably be asleep at 12:15 a.m. :biglaugh:
Good luck w/the contest. If we are close-by I will stop in..

Hey everyone, Well its that time again and I:thumbs up::thumbs up: well be running the 1570 max at the shootout tomorrow at WyoTech. Made a pull today and got 207.53 HP. My shootout finals will be at 12:15am. Anyone in Daytona come on by, Maybe I can pull it off again this year.

Marcus

Sorry I did not get there, I was @ the J. Wood auction @ the Volusia Co. fairgrounds. No VMaxes in the auction, plenty of other Yamahas. A TDM850 in good shape w/extras like a Corbin seat went for $1600, but there were dreamers & hopers like the guy who had a reserve of $1800 on his 1971 DT1 Enduro Yamaha, it came within $1000 of that & would have been a fair deal @ that as that is > it sold for new (the $ it was bid to).

I bought a fair complete 1973 360 Yamaha Enduro gas tank & a n.o.s. K & N alum. fork brace for my Enduro collection (2-360's & a 250) for $40 total.

In the pkg lot I saw 1 VMax. After that I went to Hooters across from the Speedway before the Fri. National flattrack race & saw a GA '10 Gen. 2 but no idea who it was. During the final for the first TH & FR combined results poinys race, on FR I saw a pile up on the last turn by the 3rd place rider trying to crowd the 2nd place rider, the 3rd place rider went down & got up to finish about 9th.

I did buy the Motorcyclist issue from 1986 which had a road test of the VMax & a Baylands CA shootout between the new GSXR 1100 & the 2nd year VMax. Stone-stock, no fiddling, the VMax was faster but then they messed around w/the suspension of the GSXR to get it to beat the VMax's best. They completely removed the spring preload nuts for the rear shock & used tiedowns to lower the front end.

A guy from WI had a 10K 1982 750 Yamaha Maxim transverse 4 cruiser in really nice shape, & would take $700 after advertising it in the parts area for $1100. Started right up & ran. Use this as a daily rider & save the Vmax for fun rides.

There was a lot of interest in Triumphs from Meriden, mostly Bonnevilles & Tridents, selling for in the $3-4.5K range, probably < owners had in them given their condition. A nice restored old Indian Chief sold for $21K. A ZX11C w/nitrous & a Ninja 750 tail, looked like it needed nothing, sold for $2.1K. Overall, I would say maybe < 1/2 of bikes sold going across the auction block. The buyer's market is tight.

Tomorrow I am going to try & make Boxenstopp as well as the vendors in front of the Speedway. I haven't noticed any spiked VMax riders.

I bought a fair complete 1973 360 Yamaha Enduro gas tank

Ahhh, the 73 360 Enduro ! Isn't that the year of the beautiful silver color Fire-medic? Used to work on them at a dealership in Fenton, Mi. If the timing wasn't set right on those 360's, it would back-fire while kick starting and throw you over the handlebars ! What a bike !!:punk:

You are right about the timing. The plain silver tank w/Yamaha inlaid in black block lettering was the '72, for '73 they had a Nike-swoosh-looking stripe & the 250/360's were dark green or orange I believe. The bike would also run backwards if it backfired while starting, leaving a very surprised rider when it took-off in the wrong direction when the clutch was released. The compression release was required to heelp protect your tarsal & metatarsals in your right foot when you tried to start it. Also, if you didn't wear boots & it kicked-back, you would end up w/those same bones, cracked, leaving you limping for weeks. Mine cost me $1016 o.t.d. New in May of '72, bought from M&M Yamaha in Kalamazoo Mi. That bike taught me about bike dynamics & maintenance better than anything else. I raced hare scrambles & enduros all over MI & then in FL when I moved. I had a choice to buy a BSA Rocket III for less $ used, from a soldier in Vietnam @ the time, from his family, but enjoyed dirt riding in sand & gravel pits w/my dirt bike riding friends more, so I bought the Yamaha.

Ahhh, the 73 360 Enduro ! Isn't that the year of the beautiful silver color Fire-medic? Used to work on them at a dealership in Fenton, Mi. If the timing wasn't set right on those 360's, it would back-fire while kick starting and throw you over the handlebars ! What a bike !!:punk:

VMax _nc, what was the final outcome?

I never got over there. Did stop by Boxenstopp & saw some funny stuff.

Back