Xr650r Street Legal Frame

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zmaxx

Reaction score
I've been to most of the XR sites and they don't seem to have too much recent activity and you guys always seem to have the answers.:clapping: So I was wondering if anyone on here has any idea where a guy could purchase a street legal frame for a Xr650r. Just bought a really clean '01 and would like to plate it but in Iowa it really isn't doable anymore.:bang head:

Yes the the xl and the xrl were factory street legal and a lot of the xrr have been converted in the past. Unfortunately the DMV is making it harder to get a plate on a converted dirt bike. In Iowa right now if it doesn't have an Federal Safety Label on it you can't get the inspector to pass it, so a conversion is out of the question. About the only way to get a plate is to find one already plated or a frame that was previously plated.

Thanks for the link. I have been there and didn't find anything, not even a classified section. I will register and post looking for a frame. Thanks again.

Had a friend who did the frame swap on his 650 a few years ago. It took him several months to finally track down a street legal frame and about $700 dollars. Then he had the hassles from Fla DMV to get it registered because there was no speedo on the frame. He got it done but it was a pain. Good luck in ur search! Wish I could help more.

There's a frame on eBay in N.C. Seller is: erin51695
Says it's titled but does not state street legal. Asking $750

Thanks for the input guys. I have a brother in law in SD looking into plating it over there for me right now. The only real issue that I can see so far is that I don't have a title and the only title I can get from Iowa is offroad only. Figured if I start there then it will never be considered street legal. I will look into the frame on Ebay also.

Found the frame on Ebay. It is for a xr650l and factory street legal. As a last resort I would consider buying one and just using it to put a plate on the xr650r. But will try to exhaust most other legalish options first. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back