xv550 vision experiences

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a fellow that has a beautiful 'like new' Vision. The only problem he mentions is the carbs had design issues that can make it run erratically. There was a service bulletin for the early models.

Ironically, he did say that one of the popular fixes is to substitute Vmax carbs. It only came up because we were at a rally last fall. He had his Vision and I had my Vmax, which provoked the conversation.

What do you mean by "crossover with the vmax"?

-Mike

Well yes, they're both Yamahas... .

I recall that the problem was traced to a carb design issue, and the fellow who began Factory Pro was who discovered the issue. It's been many years, but I think that a casting flaw/issue in the carbs was found to be the cause. It supposedly was the first year's production, and that the subsequent years were OK.

The Vision is similar to a VMax in that they're both V-engines w/DOHC valvetrains. It was considered to be quite the technological achievement when it was released. Magazines said, "it's one-quarter of a Cosworth-Ford DFV Indy car engine!" because of the design. The styling was a bit outside the norm, perhaps if the initial carb issue wasn't a black-eye, and it was a bit-more 'mainstream' in the styling, it would have been a more-successful bike. After all the one litre Suzuki TL1000 v-twin was a larger version of the same design, and when it was released, it and the V-twin Honda Superhawk 1000 cc (same design) were received with great acclaim.

here's one for $250 in NC:
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/mpo/d/high-point-1982-yamaha-vision-with-title/7063260888.html

call or text:
(336) 698-5461

1982 vision 550. 6700 original miles. Needs new battery and new starter. Also needs brake fluid for front brake. Has good compression and spark, as well as I just cleaned and bench synched both carbs. Little bit of rust speckles on gas tank but the inside is clean. All lights work and have the title in hand. May trade

Last edited:
I have a vision we're about done cleaning up and will have it ready for sale soon. It's got the full fairing kit too. Surprisingly peppy for a 550 and handles well.

Attachments

• Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 22
thanks guys. I have been reading up on them. I remember when they came out . I wonder if the pistons are close enough to use the vmax big bore to increase it to 750ish. I had considered using the left carb pair off a vmax.
Btw the vision in nc is the one I am considering.

A Vision uses an 80 mm piston, a 1200 VMax is 76 mm. Depending on how-thick the cylinder is, where you won't end-up in the water jacket, maybe you can go to a 82 mm piston, but I really don't know the particulars of the casting, other than the info here. Cometic offers up to an 85 mm head gasket, for the VMax, so I assume somewhere you can get a 85 mm piston.

well I bought it. starter was toast. someone had sottered the brush wire together and shorted it to the case. armature is ok and i got new brush set coming tomorrow. after i get it running and test it out planning on doing a cafe. it only has 6700 miles but time takes its toll

Attachments

• DSCF1420.JPG
    DSCF1420.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 14
Back