Ya gotta be shattin me

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theemax

Reaction score
Had to run to the bank this morning from work, so I jumped in my personal car and took off. I come up to a stop sign and am going to cross a highway and keep going straight, but had to wait for two HD posers who are slowing to turn the direction I am going. So to set the scene here, I am in my work car which is a 2000 Bonneville, 236,000 miles, weighs 3,400 pounds, and has a 3.8 liter engine. These two are in their early 20s, HD sleeveless shirts, bandannas, shades, and both are running ape-hangers and straight pipes. As they turn they both give me their "check me out, am I badass or what" look then lay into the bikes. Me, being curious, or maybe just an asshole, floor the car just to see how fast they will walk on me...........when they backed out at around 80 mph, I was still there, and the one dude kept checking his mirror. That is some sad sad shit, I figured they would walk away at a decent clip. When they turned a few miles up the road the one guy turned to look at me and I was just grinning.:rofl_200:

Ha, Ha, Ha...I went a Fat Boy a couple years ago with my pickup.
It is a slammed shortbox with a healthy 355/700R/373 driveline.
You know the stop light throttle thing with HD owners, well I mocked him.
He would bump the throttle...I would, he did it again and so did I.
He looked at me and I knew I had realed him in.
He went up on the throttle and stayed there, so here we go.
The truck is sick to the end of second gear, needless to say I was gone..left him like he was tied to a stump.
In third I backed out just long enough to let him see me light a cigarette, wave and walk away a second time.
When I buy a motorcycle, I at least want it to be faster than a pickup truck...ha, ha, ha!

Last edited:
Nope, HD isn't shattin' you at all. They're overweight, overpriced, and underpowered la-z-boys for the road. Someone who buys a HD with the intent of performance is either truly delusional or drank too much Kool-Aid at the dealer.

Browsing through the last Cycle World a friend gave me, they pitted the so-called "fast" HD XR1200 sportster against a Kawi Z1000 and a MVAugusta Brutale 990. The HD maxed out at a paltry 118mph....bouncing off the rev limited in top gear. Both other bikes were good for 150, and got to their top speed before the Hog did, and the HD was TWO FULL SECONDS slower through the 1/4. The "ups and downs" of each bike are hilarious and reveal how HD biased CW really is. And they chose

"Ups" for the HD's tested include:
"Classic styling"
"Voted Best Standard in 2009"(who is not given)
"The Hog to Flog"(whatever that means)
"Stylish"
"The Real Deal"
"It Looks Cool" (seriously, they said this)
"Amazing Accessory Catalog"
"Self Cancelling Turn Signals" (never mind other bikes have had that for 20+ years)
All vague terms that mean absolutely nothing. All those are verbatim from the mag.

"Ups" for all other brands include:
"Comfortable seat
"Smooth, precise transmission"
"Huge torque down low"
"Clear, easy to read gauges"
"Huge storage"
"Excellent ergos"

Yet despite them trashing the HD's on terrible ride, underperformance, and price, almost all their "shootouts" seem to place the HD as number one for such compelling reasons as "classic looks" and "great exhaust note". They actually conceded that the Triumph Bonneville was a better choice than a Sportster 883, but noted it was a close decision, decided only by petty factors like power, quality, and price. Also funny....a 883 sportster cranks out a whopping 44 horsepower, and runs high 14's at around 85mph. The Bonneville ran low 13's at around 100mph, and cost $400 less.

Nope, HD isn't shattin' you at all. They're overweight, overpriced, and underpowered la-z-boys for the road. Someone who buys a HD with the intent of performance is either truly delusional or drank too much Kool-Aid at the dealer.

Browsing through the last Cycle World a friend gave me, they pitted the so-called "fast" HD XR1200 sportster against a Kawi Z1000 and a MVAugusta Brutale 990. The HD maxed out at a paltry 118mph....bouncing off the rev limited in top gear. Both other bikes were good for 150, and got to their top speed before the Hog did, and the HD was TWO FULL SECONDS slower through the 1/4. The "ups and downs" of each bike are hilarious and reveal how HD biased CW really is. And they chose

"Ups" for the HD's tested include:
"Classic styling"
"Voted Best Standard in 2009"(who is not given)
"The Hog to Flog"(whatever that means)
"Stylish"
"The Real Deal"
"It Looks Cool" (seriously, they said this)
"Amazing Accessory Catalog"
"Self Cancelling Turn Signals" (never mind other bikes have had that for 20+ years)
All vague terms that mean absolutely nothing. All those are verbatim from the mag.

"Ups" for all other brands include:
"Comfortable seat
"Smooth, precise transmission"
"Huge torque down low"
"Clear, easy to read gauges"
"Huge storage"
"Excellent ergos"

Yet despite them trashing the HD's on terrible ride, underperformance, and price, almost all their "shootouts" seem to place the HD as number one for such compelling reasons as "classic looks" and "great exhaust note". They actually conceded that the Triumph Bonneville was a better choice than a Sportster 883, but noted it was a close decision, decided only by petty factors like power, quality, and price. Also funny....a 883 sportster cranks out a whopping 44 horsepower, and runs high 14's at around 85mph. The Bonneville ran low 13's at around 100mph, and cost $400 less.

What's so sad about such articles is the fact that many of them don't want to sour their (magazines) relationship with their advertisers.
Hence they are not really independent reviews but SUCK UP to their advertisers/sponsors instead in fear of lost revenue.

I looked at a z1000 before gettin the Max. The Kawasaki is a nice bike, and to compare it in any way to the Sportster is B.S.

I've said this before, ya gotta give HD credit for one thing: their marketing ability. What other company in the world could put out an over-priced, under-performing product, and still have people lined up to get them? (And yes, I have heard HD owner say "If i have to explain, you wouldn't understand.") They're right, I don't understand it.

I've said this before, ya gotta give HD credit for one thing: their marketing ability. What other company in the world could put out an over-priced, under-performing product, and still have people lined up to get them? (And yes, I have heard HD owner say "If i have to explain, you wouldn't understand.") They're right, I don't understand it.

I don't know if you are a hockey fan but, the answer is the Toronto Maple Leafs...ha, ha, ha!

My roommate is really into Wranglers and off-roading, though he seldom takes his jeep anywhere than any ordinary car couldn't go. Honestly, I don't get it. It's a super small car, no space to put anything inside. It's 4 liter I6 can barely muster 70mph on the highway, downshifting to 4th is required for even the slightest grade. It gets absymal fuel mileage to the tune of about 15mpg. It's uncomfortable and has a terrible ride on the road. Yet he loves it, saying "it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". If you're going to pay the price of poor fuel mileage, you'd at least want something back, like a lot of power or space. My truck gets mileage like that, but will cruise up a hill at 75 no problem and a u-haul trailer isn't required for runs to the grocery store. He's right, I don't get it. :confused2:

As far as business, HD are geniuses. Why bother spending money on R&D and innovation when year after year, people get on waiting lists to pay full sticker price for the same old shit? The couple times HD makes anything more than a change to the shininess of the gas cap, all the "purists" complain and whine about "tradition" and "heritage" of the styling, so to people who buy HD's, innovation and improvements are actually negative selling points.

"I'd like a Super Heritage Night King Ultra Glide Classic FTLHXELBUTTRAPE with the factory American Mega Patriot Vintage chrome package, the 1850cc boat anchor upgrade, chrome spoke wheels(my wife is a bitch, I need as much time in the garage polishing shit as possible), and toss in the dual saddlebags to carry spare parts in, I'm planning on taking this baby all the way across town and I want to be prepared".

"I'm sorry, we're all out of that model and are taking a waiting list. Would you like to look at the Heritage King Classic Ultra Night Super Glide MYBTHLEGTFINGERED instead? It has the 1500cc dinghy anchor, but with the Stage 3 kit for extra anchoring performance when tossed overboard in rough waters. This has cast wheels we bought off Honda in the 70's, but can special-order you the 21" spoked front wheel for the shitty- I mean traditional easy handling you've come to expect from the Harley Davidson brand".

"Wait, what? I don't want any of that jap garbage on my HD(tm)! What gives? I thought Harley was a patriotic American company"

"Oh, it is. However, Harley Davidson is sensitive to the downturn in the economy and outsourcing some nonessential parts like engines, forks, brakes, and suspension out from other manufacturers. We wouldn't dream of passing the savings on to you, we're just making more money than ever and are on track for our prediction of not needing a government bailout for nearly 3 years. Since this is a wheel from a 1971 CB750, it is aged to perfection like a fine wine and will complement your "new" bike, engineered by red-blooded flag-waving hardworking Americans in the same year. See? This is part of the 2010 Harley-Davidson experience. Now, will you be paying cash, check, or signing up for financing? Only 10% down and 0%APR for 30 minutes!"

My roommate is really into Wranglers and off-roading, though he seldom takes his jeep anywhere than any ordinary car couldn't go. Honestly, I don't get it. It's a super small car, no space to put anything inside. It's 4 liter I6 can barely muster 70mph on the highway, downshifting to 4th is required for even the slightest grade. It gets absymal fuel mileage to the tune of about 15mpg. It's uncomfortable and has a terrible ride on the road. Yet he loves it, saying "it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". If you're going to pay the price of poor fuel mileage, you'd at least want something back, like a lot of power or space. My truck gets mileage like that, but will cruise up a hill at 75 no problem and a u-haul trailer isn't required for runs to the grocery store. He's right, I don't get it. :confused2:

As far as business, HD are geniuses. Why bother spending money on R&D and innovation when year after year, people get on waiting lists to pay full sticker price for the same old shit? The couple times HD makes anything more than a change to the shininess of the gas cap, all the "purists" complain and whine about "tradition" and "heritage" of the styling, so to people who buy HD's, innovation and improvements are actually negative selling points.

"I'd like a Super Heritage Night King Ultra Glide Classic FTLHXELBUTTRAPE with the factory American Mega Patriot Vintage chrome package, the 1850cc boat anchor upgrade, chrome spoke wheels(my wife is a bitch, I need as much time in the garage polishing shit as possible), and toss in the dual saddlebags to carry spare parts in, I'm planning on taking this baby all the way across town and I want to be prepared".

"I'm sorry, we're all out of that model and are taking a waiting list. Would you like to look at the Heritage King Classic Ultra Night Super Glide MYBTHLEGTFINGERED instead? It has the 1500cc dinghy anchor, but with the Stage 3 kit for extra anchoring performance when tossed overboard in rough waters. This has cast wheels we bought off Honda in the 70's, but can special-order you the 21" spoked front wheel for the shitty- I mean traditional easy handling you've come to expect from the Harley Davidson brand".

"Wait, what? I don't want any of that jap garbage on my HD(tm)! What gives? I thought Harley was a patriotic American company"

"Oh, it is. However, Harley Davidson is sensitive to the downturn in the economy and outsourcing some nonessential parts like engines, forks, brakes, and suspension out from other manufacturers. We wouldn't dream of passing the savings on to you, we're just making more money than ever and are on track for our prediction of not needing a government bailout for nearly 3 years. Since this is a wheel from a 1971 CB750, it is aged to perfection like a fine wine and will complement your "new" bike, engineered by red-blooded flag-waving hardworking Americans in the same year. See? This is part of the 2010 Harley-Davidson experience. Now, will you be paying cash, check, or signing up for financing? Only 10% down and 0%APR for 30 minutes!"
I just happen to go into the "Baldwin Park" Laidlaw harley Davidson dealer with a friend who rides a Harley and I rode my vmax and lo and behold who comes out of his office but Mr. Laidlaw himself, so I got a chance to speak with him and after trying to get me to trade in my max for an oil leaker, he told me that many after market and some stock parts are made overseas and if bikers found out, they would be pissed so they only have the Harley emblem but don`t say made in america. WOW Ifelt like asking him if you got a gallon of "drive away"cleaner and a bundle of oil rags with the purchase of a bike, but that would be rude and he`s an old guy so I thought I`d be nice
<<Dave>>:punk:

Now that is funny . Good story . LOL :rofl_200:

If I remember correctly.....Harley DID take a fistful of government bailout money....at least for their credit arm....:damn angry:

Latest posts

Back