Yamaha and product liability

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this post on the Two Wheeled Texans board. Very sobering. At the bottom of the quoted text, there's a link that's worth a look.

What did they know, and when did they know it? I suspect it's issues just like this that have helped foster the huge delay in the new VMax. It was once technology limitations that determined which company had the biggest and baddest on the market. No more. All of the bike makers could build a mass produced two wheeled rocket ship, but the 'should they build it and sell it' concerns have overridden the technology issue, at least that's how I see it.

I have posted before about my 10 year old daughter who was a passenger on a Yamaha Rhino, driven by an adult on FLAT ground. The Rhino tipped over killing my daughter.

Many have said Rhinos just do not tip over on FLAT ground going at a moderate speed.

Many have said a Rhino is not intended for recreational use.

Many have said Yamaha has not been aware that they tip over.

Many have said they had doors put on for safety.

Here is my website with the results of my research. On it I will prove that Yamaha HAS know for YEARS they tip over, I will show you warnings and complaints from customers (on Yamaha's OWN letterhead) of them tipping over. A list of 150 lawsuits against Yamaha (on their OWN document). Their OWN advertisement, showing they ARE for recreational use (and high performance). Their OWN advertisement stating the purpose of the doors (not safety). And the US governments own investigation. No where could I find anything like this about any other brand side by side. My opinion is the problem is not with the side by side itself or the driver, but the way Yamaha made the Rhino.

Here it is: http://www.yamaha-rhino-information.com

Please check it out

I cant say whether or not that particular case has had any affect on the development of the new VMax but I do believe the increasing reaction to sue over just about anything certainly has. Companies are having to think about liability alot more than they used to which definately increases R&D substantially. Before someone reams me about this particular case I will say that if he can prove Yamaha had known this was an issue and did nothing then by all means he deserves to get whatever he can for his loss.

I feel very sorry for the Sand family's tragic loss, no parent should ever have to bury a child, and my heart goes out to them.

Unfortunately there's a lot more going on here than the loss of that beautiful young girl's life. What I'm seeing is the foundation being layed for a multi-billion dollar class action law suit against Yamaha. This, in my mind, is where the real crime is, the clever tort lawyers steering these things to ridiculous levels for the sole purpose of lining their own pockets.

The Rhino is a prime target, as a recreational vehicle it's going to be abused and people are going to be hurt and killed on them, and Yamaha's deep liability insurance pockets would look pretty good to a tort lawyer. It won't matter that Yamaha has plastered these things with so many warning stickers you can hardly tell the paint color, that will all be overshadowed by the misrepresentations of the lawyers. And they will be the only winners!

How many things do you buy where the owners manual consists mainly of warnings and don't do's? You can thank the "bloodsuckers" for that!!

Now I'm climbing down off my soap box to go watch the NASCAR race.....Whew!!

How many things do you buy where the owners manual consists mainly of warnings and don't do's? You can thank the "bloodsuckers" for that!!

Damn, I hate to agree with you. Just venture to Home Depot and have a look at all the warnings on a new ladder.

A few years ago, my mom and dad were sued. They contracted with a guy to do some work on their roof while Mom and Dad were away on vacation. While they were gone, one of the workers fell off the roof and fractured both wrists. He somehow managed to sue my parents, and their insurance company settled the suit out of court. What a friggin' joke.

Damn, I hate to agree with you. Just venture to Home Depot and have a look at all the warnings on a new ladder.

Wonder if anybody has ever slipped on a ladder warning label, taken a tumble, and sued the warning label manufacturer? If not, stand by, it'll happen soon. Just a matter of some little hot-shot ambulance chaser getting ahold of it and running!

"Gary Hanes Day In Court" in the V Boost mag got me all fired up on this subject. The poor guy had some clown in a cage pull in front of him, Gary couldn't avoid it and hit the car. The guys lawyer tore Gary apart in court for being a "biker," or tried to tear him apart. Gary was well prepared, presented his side very well and the jury ended up awarding him more than he was asking for.

I'm just totally pissed that the system is so effed up it would allow that twisted shit to even make it into a courtroom. Friggin' lawyer should have been disbarred for even THINKING of pulling that shit.

Latest posts

Back