yamaha engines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
is it possible to order a crate engine off of yamaha like a vmax engine for example?

i mean would they actually ship out an assembled engine ready to go? ive heard of another manufacturer doing that but cant recall which atm.

sean?

If Yamaha does it I'm sure it would be pricy, especially for a Gen1! Who am I kidding, the Gen2 would be way up there as well. Salvage yards for Gen2 and Sean/ Ebay for Gen1.

I can Check, Let me know if you REALLY want to know how many $$$$

Well, I'd guess $5,999.99 + shipping, Gen 1 but I'm probably low. Too bad Yamaha isn't like Harley in respect to crate motors....:ummm:

I inquired for a new motor in 2006 as was told repeatedly that a crate motor was not offered, not available, not buyable. Exchange motors are available from Boxenstopp. Occasionally an ebay motor is offered up for sale. I should think you could buy all the parts, but a used bike would be less pricey.

rick rash

We have the exchanged motors too if you want to call it that. Rebuilt and repainted. Yamaha does not have a complete engine part number so you'd have to buy all the individual parts which would be stupid expensive!

Sean

Harley freely sells crate motors because they know they're a "consumable" item on their bikes, like tires or brake pads for anyone else.

Yamaha builds their motors to last and always have. I've seen a Yamaha 2-stroke snowmobile engine run, for 50 miles, with a HOLE in the cylinder. Didn't have much power, but it kept the sled moving to get back home. Rebuilt it for $150 worth of parts, good as new for another 25 years. I also have a '90 Blaster that's had the piss beat out of it for 20 years and the little 200cc single still starts first kick every time and runs like a top. My Yamaha RX snowmobile has been held WFO for miles at a time with absolutely no problem, as a polaris next to me blew it's motor trying to keep pace. My Max has been held WFO for 10 minutes straight at ~145mph, not so much as a hiccup or fart in protest, the temp barely rose 10 degrees from normal.

Yamaha builds the best powersports engines on the planet, bar none. If Yamaha made cars, I'd buy one.

I've ridden a few hundred miles (or more) with blown head gaskets. Probably 20-30 miles with spun bearing (the engine was smoking when I finally got to civilization to pull over.) Some broken trans parts. But, a broken driveshaft or completely grenaded trans will put a stop to forward progress.

Sean

i thought the SHO was a v8

edit: i stand corrected. answer? both

Well, I'd guess $5,999.99 + shipping, Gen 1 but I'm probably low. Too bad Yamaha isn't like Harley in respect to crate motors....:ummm:

A little off topic but there is a company out there that sells "new" 2 stroke CR500 engines. They quit making the bike in '01. The engines they sell are pieced together with NOS parts I guess. Guess how much for a single cylinder, two stroke dirt bike engine......$6190.00

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/engines.html

I'd heard they built the motors for Ford in the old SHOs, and I seem to remember hearing they made a couple of the V8 motors for Volvo as well. They make the only V8 outboard also, think it's a 350horse. That outboard V8, flip it on it's side, and drop it in a rally car with 4wd. Give the Evo's something to compete against.

Add a low-psi turbo for flat torque, and stick it in a truck. Add in the Yamaha quality anyone who's owned one can attest to, and I'd have one. It'd have to be an all-new, Yamaha built vehicle though. Suzuki did this with the Equator, except it was just a re-badged Nissan that'd been around for decades.

The V8 SHO's ('96-'99) used a 3.4 liter Yamaha engine. I had a '97. It was a mid size sedan, but very quick and nimble with that mean V8 growl and tons of fun to drive. The earlier SHO's ('89-'95) had the indestructable Yamaha 3 liter V6.

Waiting for rods which I am not sure when they will be ready (stopped by friday but they weren't done). Cases are together and all side covers are on. Rings are set and on the pistons. Just need rods and I can finish up the bottom end and put the heads on.

Sean

is it possible to order a crate engine off of yamaha like a vmax engine for example?

i mean would they actually ship out an assembled engine ready to go? ive heard of another manufacturer doing that but cant recall which atm.

sean?
I have crate vmax 1700 new with ecu.

Back