Yamaha FJR 1300 Comparison

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Looking for comments about the FJR vs. the Vmax. Comparisons: Price value, speed, comfort in the saddle on trips, gas mileage, anything else.

Never been on one, know nothing about them. What you say?

Very nice looking sport touring bike, met one at a light last summer, he blipped the throttle first so I knew his intentions, we launched on green and both spun pretty good through the intersection moving around quite a bit, came within a foot of each other at one point, what a rush!..........Stayed next to him for three gears and I backed off first as we were comming up on traffic.........I imagine he would hand me my azz on top end tho..................Tom.

Motorcyclist (the magazine) is "hinting" that a makeover and displacement increase to 1400cc is in the works for possibly next model year......dunno for sure first I heard of it.....

It's like you read my mind. I was thinking today about posting up pretty much the same question. I think I have my mind set on an FJR1300 anything 2006 and up but I'm not 100% convinced it will be better than my current vmax.

Vmax is not a good touring bike (it was never intended to be one). Ideally I would have two bikes but there is no way that will happen.

Interested to hear from members that have both bikes or have riden both.

Aside from the fact that they are from two different motorcycle segments, the FJR is a highly capable sport touring bike that has pretty good performance. It doesn't have the low end grunt of the Vmax but spin it up past 6k and it will run strongly up past 12k. Stock it has ~124 RWHP/ 88 FTLBS so it is no slouch, but it is a sport touring bike so it carries some weight (~580lbs). It handles nice but it is no canyon corner carver, but it probably would be better than the Gen1 in the twisties just due to the fact that it is a modern design with radials. It will eat up the long distance miles to a tune of 240 miles + per tankful. It has a sixth gear and full fairing to make the long trips a lot nicer.
cue danny!

I'm sure Dannymax can give us a clear comparison since he has owned both at the same time.

Got to ride my co-workers '05 about a year ago and loved it. Smooth,powerful and comfortable although I didn't take it on the freeway. As a second bike I would definately consider for taking longer trips.
Mike

Pictures I've seen, the left side does not have a gear changer. Guess it is automatic, some of those on craigslist say they are automatic. Noticed the placement of the seat and driver foot peg are really close. That situation puts one's knees higher in the air and more bent and to me less relaxed.

It is the YCCS electric shift with auto clutch. This is not a centrifugal clutch but a true clutch with computer control so you have no clutch handle. Guess there is a button on the left handle grip somewhere?

I've heard several times over that Yamaha's auto-shift gearbox was problematic and to stay away from it, opt for the regular clutch version instead.

And yes it looks like a long-due remake will be out for '13 with the FJR1400.

I wonder if the Concours will get a version of the new ZX14 engine. Though the Ninja 1000 sport-tourer has won all sorts of best in class awards, and I can attest that it is certainly no slouch power wise.

How can you compare a FJR with a Vmax? Its like comparing a cat with a dog, both have four legs just like both bikes have 2 wheels and thats it...

How can you compare a FJR with a Vmax? Its like comparing a cat with a dog, both have four legs just like both bikes have 2 wheels and thats it...
You can't compare the two directly, BUT if an FJR does everything a vmax does just as well plus some, then an FJR might be a better option for those who can only have one motorcycle. It's about what fits the needs of a particular rider not so much a direct motorcycle comparison.

A previous owner told me these two things. First, the throttle is really tight, ie, not as easy to turn like most. Second, the automatic takes away the ability to use the clutch going around corners and such.

He said if he had to do it over again, he would choose a Honda st1300 instead, as far as a sport touring bike. But I have heard things about them too, like police deaths in the UK on them, high speed wobble.

He said the BMWers really swear by the BMW sport touring bike.

I really like my 2005 Vmax. Took an evening ride on it as the sun was going down. It really cooled down and made for some fantastic riding up and down the hills on HWy 77 in Oklahoma. Going down in the valleys is like going into a frig, then warms up on the peaks.

That compares with burning my ass off yesterday in the 90+ heat going to Norman, OK!

Guess I will make my bank deposits at sundown. Call me a sundowner!

A previous owner told me these two things. First, the throttle is really tight, ie, not as easy to turn like most. Second, the automatic takes away the ability to use the clutch going around corners and such.

He said if he had to do it over again, he would choose a Honda st1300 instead, as far as a sport touring bike. But I have heard things about them too, like police deaths in the UK on them, high speed wobble.

He said the BMWers really swear by the BMW sport touring bike.

I really like my 2005 Vmax. Took an evening ride on it as the sun was going down. It really cooled down and made for some fantastic riding up and down the hills on HWy 77 in Oklahoma. Going down in the valleys is like going into a frig, then warms up on the peaks.

That compares with burning my ass off yesterday in the 90+ heat going to Norman, OK!

Guess I will make my bank deposits at sundown. Call me a sundowner!
Automatic is an option, you can get an FJR with standard transmission. I would only consider standard shift. IMO - automatic takes away from the experience.

My dad on the other hand would love an automatic since he doesn't have much feeling in his left foot and he can't feel when he's switching gears.
If you want automatic get a scooter :rofl_200:

I've heard nothing but good things about BMW engines as well those things just run forever.

Not meant to jack the thread .......... but I found a Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird , '99 F.I. for a song . It needs some risers to run comfortably for hours , but it does what a FJR can do , except maybe a little faster. :rofl_200:

Attachments

• DSC02967.jpg
    DSC02967.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 30
Nice ride Paul!

I had the pleasure of owning this baby for a couple years...it's an '05 FJR1300 ABS. As mentioned, there are two models, 5 spd. & automatic. I had a riding buddy who had an '09 automatic, he didn't really care for it, said it was hard to get used to.

The bike is a very capable sport tourer, very nimble for a heavier bike and plenty of power. It dyno'd at 122 hp on the PCW dyno, can't remember the torque but it was higher than a Gen-I Max, maybe 80ft lbs, if memory serves.

Mileage is around 45 per and with the fuel it can carry gives a 300+ mile driving range. I found the seat to be comfortable but the bars needed risers to suit me. It has an electric windshield which is nice and a digital display with complete diagnostics available if you know the codes.

The motor is a little difficult to work on due to very limited space....I checked valve adjustment and timed the cams and it was kind of a pia to work on.

Very long legged powerplant/drivetrain and it's not unusual to see these bikes with 200K - 300K. I loved it! :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Attachments

• 100_2708.jpg
    100_2708.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 20
I've got an '09 FJR and a '06 VMAX. The FJR is very nice- smooth, powerful and with a 6.6 gal tank good for long distance. The throttle is very stiff and I couldn't ride it long without a crampbuster. There is a fix for that where you unwind the throttle spring one turn. Having said that, it just doesn't give me the grin factor that the VMAX does- the sound, the looks, the feel- you guys know what I'm talking about.. The FJR will be used reserved for long trips but my go-to bike for anything other than that is the VMAX.

Test rode the FJR and liked the power compared to the Max.
6ft 2 and was comfy but bar risers are plentiful as are touring accessories.
I'd get both if I could. I don't do long trips but might if I had one.
You can't go wrong with it or dare I say it, a Concourse.

Back