Yamaha not carrying Vmax after 2020

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm down to two bikes now, the '17 Gen2 and my '06 Goldwing...bases are covered!
When I was up at the Dragon back in 2009 there was a fellow that had a loaded up Goldwing. It was red and looked brand new. He had IT ALL. Sat Nav, weather screen, heated everything.

He let me sit on the bike and man, I could have laid back and gone to sleep on that thing. Incredible bike in my opinion and all I've ever done is sit on one.

When I was up at the Dragon back in 2009 there was a fellow that had a loaded up Goldwing. It was red and looked brand new. He had IT ALL. Sat Nav, weather screen, heated everything.

He let me sit on the bike and man, I could have laid back and gone to sleep on that thing. Incredible bike in my opinion and all I've ever done is sit on one.
Agree with everything you said about the Gold Wing but not sure I would own one , rode one a few yrs back up to Thunder , only problem I had was my knees hit the lower part of the fairing and I am not that tall , 6'2" but with short legs . Everything else was perfect cruising at 100 mph with Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan , AC/DC never sounded so good !

3rd Gen for me is easy to imagine... A couple hundred pounds lighter, hybrid with a combo fuel/ electric drive that wipes the floor with everything else on the road. Launch control and fully customizable gears. And more of them. Oh yea and bought out by an American company that is made in the U.S.A... And looks F'in mean!!!

Last edited:
Everybody keeps throwing "a couple hundred pounds lighter" around as if it's actually possible. On a Vmax style bike, it isn't. Not practically, anyway. The cost to do it would be so high nobody would be able to afford the bike.

I became obsessed with motorbikes at 4, started riding at 9 and been riding on the road since 16. I became obsessed with the Vmax when I read an article about it’s launch in 85, calling the Vmax the world’s fastest accelerating vehicle.
I have had 2 Gen 1’s and they were fantastic. The low end torque of a V4 which then has what feels like a crazy power band. The handling wasn’t terrible, after coming from 70’s four cylinder, but had plenty of room for improvement. Same for brakes and suspension.
I have spent the last 10 years on a KTM 950 supermoto and would not have considered parting with it for anything other than a Gen 2 VMAX. I have wanted a Gen2 since 2009, but the price!!!! I thought it would be like the Gen1 and become more affordable over time. Even second hand they are still not what you would call an affordable bike.
I bought one in September, I now have a 2009 which was not the cheapest VMAX about but was the most “upgraded“ one about. The KTM has to go up for sale. There is no boost just linear power that seems to pull forever. The handling is far more predictable than the Gen1 and the brakes and suspension are way ahead of the Gen1. Both bikes still deliver in terms of power and being not quite like anything else and have passionate followings. I feel blessed to have ridden both and just want to ride my current one as much as I can.
Of all the current Yamaha naked models I can’t think of one better suited to development to suit a big heavy battery unit. Sticking to muscle cruiser style, massive linear power with no time lost shifting gear, keep developing handl ing and braking, might even finally make one with decent range! If we have to have electric motorcycles let’s have them to the MAX!!290D2F3B-D591-419F-9903-FAAD114D1A49.jpeg

Last edited:
Harley Davidson has about the best electric bike available right now. And believe it or not, it has about the same range as a Vmax. LOL

1607718131193.png

It is a badass ride. Yamaha would have their work cut out for them to beat it. Right now all they're building are electric dirt bikes and scooters I think.

That's the way my Victory Vision is. The most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. I can hop on it and ride From Dallas to Denver tomorrow... but still LOVE my 2014 Vmax above all. It's ludicrous, crazy fast, gets horrible gas mileage, and even after 5 years, sometimes scares me just enough to max out the adrenal glands. It's amazing.

I'd want a gen3 vmax to be exactly the same as a gen1 vmax but with accessible coils, a fuel guage and 17'' wheels

That's the way my Victory Vision is. The most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. I can hop on it and ride From Dallas to Denver tomorrow... but still LOVE my 2014 Vmax above all. It's ludicrous, crazy fast, gets horrible gas mileage, and even after 5 years, sometimes scares me just enough to max out the adrenal glands. It's amazing.
What happened to Victory? I only saw a couple of them over the years but they looked like really nice bikes.

I see. So let me go back to this:

We're not talking about a rocket. We're talking about a Vmax. The two aren't remotely related.

The rocket is a bloated inline 2.5 liter 3 cylinder, not a V4. It's basically a car engine, not a bike engine.

It's about the same size as a Gen 1 Vmax. It's the same length, has a longer wheel base, the same height, the same width basically and actually weights A LOT MORE than a Vmax. (Rocket 3 dry is 641.5 pounds, a full 10 pounds MORE than the Vmax wet weight.

I don't know what you're smoking, but pass some this way. I'd like to see what color the sky is in your world.

The Rocket III does nothing for me, and I know a guy locally that has one and we went riding one day together. I destroyed him several times on "roll-on" type races and about halfway into the day, he asked if he could ride my Gen2 VMAX so we switched bikes. Honestly, I can't say a single good thing about that Rocket III, overweight, bad handling, underpowered, I didn't even think it sounded that good. Once we stopped to get gas and switch back, the Rocket III owner had a huge ass grin on his face and asked me how much I paid for mine? It was 16K new back in 2015 and his 2010 model was about the same price. I bet it was only a month later that he sold his bike and got a new Harley instead. LMAO! Guess he figured his "fast bike" wasn't so fast after all, so went back to being slow and obnoxious, but very cool anyways. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

The Rocket III does nothing for me, and I know a guy locally that has one and we went riding one day together. I destroyed him several times on "roll-on" type races and about halfway into the day, he asked if he could ride my Gen2 VMAX so we switched bikes. Honestly, I can't say a single good thing about that Rocket III, overweight, bad handling, underpowered, I didn't even think it sounded that good. Once we stopped to get gas and switch back, the Rocket III owner had a huge ass grin on his face and asked me how much I paid for mine? It was 16K new back in 2015 and his 2010 model was about the same price. I bet it was only a month later that he sold his bike and got a new Harley instead. LMAO! Guess he figured his "fast bike" wasn't so fast after all, so went back to being slow and obnoxious, but very cool anyways. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

😁 The Gen2 has no competition in its category.... period. Nothing comes close.

😁 The Gen2 has no competition in its category.... period. Nothing comes close.
Ducati Diavel?

I do not like their look at all, real unattractive bike. I would not buy it based just on style.
Never ridden one so I have no 1st hand experience. However I understand that it is really powerful.

Ducati Diavel?

I do not like their look at all, real unattractive bike. I would not buy it based just on style.
Never ridden one so I have no 1st hand experience. However I understand that it is really powerful.

The Diavel is really a sport bike that they lowered and put a fat rear tire on. It is fairly light, and makes good power for a 1200.
Doesn't provide the visceral feeling of power you get on a Gen2 however. Anybody that's owned both will tell you that.

Ducati Diavel?

You're comparing a 1260 cc V Twin to a 1700 CC V4?

Not fair at all, is it?

If you're going to do that, you might as well compare Ducati's 1100cc V4 to the Yamaha V4.

Then you'll find the Yamaha looking like a herd of grazing cattle.

Latest posts

Back