Yamaha vmax 1700 competition coming fast from UK ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars-Erik Andersson

Reaction score
Hi Like my generation 2 Vmax in many ways but still looking in the competition on bike market. Now Triumph Rocket 2,5 litres comes with a complete new design and more power... Max Power less than Max but what a difference in torque..... believe the Rocket will go much faster in real life than MAX and of course with no problems with overheatating as my current Vmax a has ridiculous cooling system......
Someone who has tested Rocket GT ?I Must test as soon as possible but winter here in Sweden.....
Me close to make a change as Triumph has had Honda product quality as a target since more than 25 Years .... and thats not Yamaha std from my experience , sorry mates ....they are not all bad but....
//Lars

The new Rocket is heavier, and makes 35 HP less than the VMax. It is definitely not faster.......not even close. It also costs $4000 more.

Last study I saw Yamaha/Star was rated number one in reliability with Honda a very close second. Triumph was behind Harley Davidson.

Lars you realize that you are still the only owner complaining about their Gen 2 running too hot? There may well be something wrong with your bike but it is not a problem with the Gen 2's design.

I looked at a Rocket III when they came-out, I thought I might want the torque a large 3 cyl promised. When I got on it, I felt like I was on an obstetrical chair. My knees were being forced-apart like a thief after the family jewels was assaulting me. I don't imagine the new one will be any-better.

The new Rocket is heavier, and makes 35 HP less than the VMax. It is definitely not faster.......not even close. It also costs $4000 more.

Last study I saw Yamaha/Star was rated number one in reliability with Honda a very close second. Triumph was behind Harley Davidson.

Lars you realize that you are still the only owner complaining about their Gen 2 running too hot? There may well be something wrong with your bike but it is not a problem with the Gen 2's design.
Hi me confused of your answer dont want more "US anger" as me closing the "Donald Trumph" side some weeks ago ! People there totaly crazy.... for that small IMP....man!
The weight on new Rocket 3 as described in Swedish motorcycle papers are approx 290 kg thats less than my VMax... and 167 real horsepower compared to something round 185-190 hp in reality is not 35 hp more but more....Im waiting for possibility to test one... as I have seen before that Your US high torque cars (Dodge, GM ;Ford) with less hp gives high revving European Cars with more hp a real fight in reality.... Horsepower is not all but Vmax is good in that !
Rocket 3 Price here just now 231 000 SEK ; last possible VMax to buy here in Europe was the 2016 model; in that time costing round 225000 SEK in Sweden so price difference here is nothing just that VMax is to dirty from exhaust side to have it forsale over here anymore...
According Your description that Im the only to quarrel over bad cooling system; just look how many on internet that shows how to "solve" bad cooling with manual solutions for electrical fan control.... ?
Why discuss in terms like Your big fantastic IMPODUS always do today ? This is a real problem for sure ...my bike is a std bike with nothing wrong after measuring it up, its just a Yamaha issue but no response there !
The reability study please send link...
thx
/Lars

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/rocket-3/rocket-3/specification

No fake news here Lars. ;)

I was correct on the price (in the US) and the HP (165 vs 197, 32 HP less)

It has gone on a diet but weighs at least as much if not a little more as the VMax (Vmax 683 lbs. Wet, Rocket 641 Dry).

I haven't heard of anybodies VMax overheating with 2 exceptions..... both were because of a bad radiator cap.

Hey it looks like a nice bike I like the re-design, and it has 6 gears. It still has one good looking side and one ugly side though. o_O

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

Like I said on the other thread, I live in OK, and NEVER had any over heating issues out of any Vmax's.....including the 2011. An average summer here is 90F to 105 F (32C to 40.5C).

Lars, if you come down for a visit (to see that a Vmax can take the heat) we can even go to a local gun range if you want and shoot off some rounds. I will have to warn you though....OPEN CARRY of fire arms is VERY permitted in this state.

if the rocket is more about torque why does it need six gears

Good question. My guess would be so it's turning at real low revs on the highway. It's a giant motor so that would help mileage. The big TQ should allow it to do that and still have plenty to pass and climb a grade without a downshift.

I saw one of these at a vintage bike show today. I don't know if the guy was a dealer representative but he was speaking to a friend of mine who is retired Snap-On dealer here in South Florida about the bike and he was making a specious claims that just had me shaking my head. I told my friend the retired Snap-On dealer, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about! He's totally wrong. The guy was claiming this new 2 and 1/2 liter Triumph has 250 horsepower at the rear wheel and almost 200 foot pounds of torque! The online report I read was a bit over 150 RWHP. The guy also claimed it had a weight of 460 lb which is absurd! I bet it's 200 pounds more than that. Dry. Anyway the bike looks pretty interesting but I don't think I would be buying one.

Last edited:
Hi me confused of your answer dont want more "US anger" as me closing the "Donald Trumph" side some weeks ago ! People there totaly crazy.... for that small IMP....man!
The weight on new Rocket 3 as described in Swedish motorcycle papers are approx 290 kg thats less than my VMax... and 167 real horsepower compared to something round 185-190 hp in reality is not 35 hp more but more....Im waiting for possibility to test one... as I have seen before that Your US high torque cars (Dodge, GM ;Ford) with less hp gives high revving European Cars with more hp a real fight in reality.... Horsepower is not all but Vmax is good in that !
Rocket 3 Price here just now 231 000 SEK ; last possible VMax to buy here in Europe was the 2016 model; in that time costing round 225000 SEK in Sweden so price difference here is nothing just that VMax is to dirty from exhaust side to have it forsale over here anymore...
According Your description that Im the only to quarrel over bad cooling system; just look how many on internet that shows how to "solve" bad cooling with manual solutions for electrical fan control.... ?
Why discuss in terms like Your big fantastic IMPODUS always do today ? This is a real problem for sure ...my bike is a std bike with nothing wrong after measuring it up, its just a Yamaha issue but no response there !
The reability study please send link...
thx
/Lars
maybe your VMAX has issues carrying IMPs around

As much as I love Triumphs, owned 2 in the last 20 years, the first gen Rocket III was a two wheeled tug boat, with an engine that looked liked it was pulled from a tractor. It was fugly at best. The latest gen has improved immensely in the looks department but it still looks like a bit of a clown bike next to a Gen 2 Max. Performance, looks, proven reliability, price and don’t forget cult status belongs to the Vmax. The gas range is the only one up it has over the Vmax. Oh well, can’t win them all.

Like I said on the other thread, I live in OK, and NEVER had any over heating issues out of any Vmax's.....including the 2011. An average summer here is 90F to 105 F (32C to 40.5C).

Lars, if you come down for a visit (to see that a Vmax can take the heat) we can even go to a local gun range if you want and shoot off some rounds. I will have to warn you though....OPEN CARRY of fire arms is VERY permitted in this state.
Hi Sorry late answer beeing out in Germany /Brermen last weekend on a big motor exhibition for old cars and bikes.....Shooting is my favourite as a retired "swedish CIA" :) still Yours ?

Hi Sorry late answer beeing out in Germany /Brermen last weekend on a big motor exhibition for old cars and bikes.....Shooting is my favourite as a retired "swedish CIA" :) still Yours ?

Yep as I grew up on a farm it was an integral way of life. Bring the bike as well. That way i can show you the gen 2 does NOT have an issue with the heat.

if the rocket is more about torque why does it need six gears
Have a friend with a BOSS HOSS ; A GM V8 with >350 hp and 2 gears….It shifts at approx 120 mph from first to second....impressive a real VIKING BIKE like that torque :)
Triumph Rocket need no 6 gears , the same for VMax;s 5 gears ; thats only market People solutions.
Coming Electrical bikes will have 1 gear only,,, but still have better acceleration than VMax !

Electric bikes have no soul. They are gonna be dialed back so some oblivious jo-shmo doesn't smash the back of his head on the black top.
Agree fully ….Just Compare sound of a old V8 Car and a TESLA.... but still Teslas performance is at the same level 0-60 mph as a Vmax geration 2 !!
Impressive performance and full torque from first revolution in an electrical motor. Hard to beat with old 4 stroke...:(

bunjee jump cords might get you to the top of a building quicker but I'd still prefer the stairs

Latest posts

Back