Yamaha Wankel engined bike and 750 4 cyl. two-stroke

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Not-many people recall that at one time, before Suzuki released their rotary-engined bike, Yamaha was getting significant publicity for their rotary design.

It came very-close to production, and a couple of the things that helped to prevent its sales were the Arab oil embargo, and the growing influence of the EPA for emissions standards. Because rotaries were not fuel 'sippers' but rather 'guzzlers,' and at the time were 'dirty' in emissions, Yamaha decided to withhold the bike from the market. They had running prototypes, and had production tooling underway when the decision was rendered. Thos who rode the prototypes say they were powerful and smooth in operation. Yamaha also overcame one of the 'knocks' against rotary engines, that they were ugly. While the Yamaha isn't beautiful, I think theirs is better-looking than the Suzuki (we won't bother bringing-up the Giugiaro-designed first-year Suzuki round, cylindrical, green plastic-covered instrument pod and its companion rear taillight, also a round cylinder, other than-to mention it here), which was often described as 'industrial-looking,' like a stationary powerplant.

5247a252a893ed8da9c2b3f3b43d43e0.jpg

1. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

Too-bad the 750 four-cyl. two-stroke wasn't allowed to market. Just think of what it could have been developed into. It looks much lighter and 'of-a-piece' than the Suzuki 750 triple/two-stroke. I well-recall the impact the Kawasaki 750 triple/two-stroke had, it was 'the baddest.' No other qualifiers needed. Not, "the best triple," "the best two-stroke big-bore," "the best performer, stock." I'm sure that lovers of the Rocket III and the Triumph triple 750 four-stroke were partial to their rides, but "quickest" is quickest, and "fastest" is fastest. In its day, the Kawasaki had no real competition, until the same company debuted the 900 cc Z-1 four stroke four-cylinder superbike. Back-in the mid-1970's I rode a Mach III so I was well-aware of what a potent two-stroke muli-cylinder bike could do.

Yamaha could have had that title, but they went a different way.

Just wondering how-many older riders are on-here who owned a two-stroke triple?

Last edited:
I'm not that old, but I had a kawi 750 triple when I was in high school. Did some brush clearing work for a few weekends and took the old bike as payment. Got it running and enjoyed it for a couple of years. One thing is for sure, most of the 1990's bikes were still no match for that old wing-tinger.

I'm not that old, but I had a kawi 750 triple when I was in high school. Did some brush clearing work for a few weekends and took the old bike as payment. Got it running and enjoyed it for a couple of years. One thing is for sure, most of the 1990's bikes were still no match for that old wing-tinger.

The H-D faction generally-hated anything two-stroke, especially-when the performance-leader was an Ironhead Sportster, susceptible to defeat by a triple two-stroke half its displacement.

By the mid-late 1980's, when the Honda Interceptor, the Yamaha FZ750 5-valve Genesis, the 1986 GSXR 750 and the Kawasaki 900 Ninja were released, the four-strokes had surpassed the old two-stroke triples, especially in handling.

I'd say, your brush-clearing job paid you very-well!

I had a 500, green with a Bassuni exhaust payed for by working as a goofer at an old Kawasaki dealership, my first job. I traded strait across for a 250 Ossa Trials bike and thought I got a great deal...coulda, shoulda, woulda.....

I had a 500, green with a Bassuni exhaust payed for by working as a goofer at an old Kawasaki dealership, my first job. I traded strait across for a 250 Ossa Trials bike and thought I got a great deal...coulda, shoulda, woulda.....

Was it a Mick Andrews Replica? I had a ISDT OSSA (International Six-Days Trial) bike. The OSSA's had great handling and good performance. The 500 triple was a good one to have-kept. When I sold my 500 Mach III, my next streetbike was a DOHC Honda 750F, which was much-more of a good bike than the two-stroke triple was.

Back around 1974, I rode with a pretty mangy bunch of guys. They all rode HD, from Knuckleheads to Shovelheads. I rode an RD350.. I usually rode in the front of the pack. They said the reason was to kill the mosquitos, but we all knew the real reason was because they couldn't keep up with the little ring dinger..

Back around 1974, I rode with a pretty mangy bunch of guys. They all rode HD, from Knuckleheads to Shovelheads. I rode an RD350.. I usually rode in the front of the pack. They said the reason was to kill the mosquitos, but we all knew the real reason was because they couldn't keep up with the little ring dinger..

I had an RD400 back in the day, no trouble outperforming my HD counterparts, which was most folks then. I couldn't always get em' off the line, but by the back of 3rd gear I was widening the gap pretty good. It was fun hearing them wring the life out of those big ol' twins trying to keep up with a line trimmer that had a place to sit. It did smoke, but then so did most of those pre-evo HDs, in fact I had to wipe oil speckles off my bike when riding in back for any length of time. I found that ironic since my bike was supposed to consume oil.

Too-bad the 750 four-cyl. two-stroke wasn't allowed to market. Just think of what it could have been developed into. It looks much lighter and 'of-a-piece' than the Suzuki 750 triple/two-stroke. I well-recall the impact the Kawasaki 750 triple/two-stroke had, it was 'the baddest.' No other qualifiers needed. Not, "the best triple," "the best two-stroke big-bore," "the best performer, stock." I'm sure that lovers of the Rocket III and the Triumph triple 750 four-stroke were partial to their rides, but "quickest" is quickest, and "fastest" is fastest. In its day, the Kawasaki had no real competition, until the same company debuted the 900 cc Z-1 four stroke four-cylinder superbike. Back-in the mid-1970's I rode a Mach III so I was well-aware of what a potent two-stroke muli-cylinder bike could do.

Yamaha could have had that title, but they went a different way.

Just wondering how-many older riders are on-here who owned a two-stroke triple?
got it when I was 15 and sold it when I was 42 cause I could not find anyone in this mud hole I live in to put new seals and balance the crank H2E euro model with the cases already ported out. My first wheelie bar bike. It's only problem was I would get pulled over all the time for it smoking and I would have to make them call a motor patrol to tell them it is supposed to smoke! Then they really get mad:p

HD cried anytime a jap bike whooped their behinds. But when the Virago came about....They really cried about it. So much that the 750cc Virago was taxed as a gas hog from 1984 on. Not to say HD didnt get innovative....They made some one off bikes that you wouldnt expect. I recall HD developed an inline 4 cylinder back in the 80s to compete. But their marketing division, if I recall, said they wouldnt sell.

Keeping to the topic....while I think the majority of America would have seen great success with a rotary motorcycle, the American southwest would have seen abysmal failures left and right. Our climate and elevation makes those engines even more prone to failure. It is so bad that Mazda extended their warranty on the rotary engines to(at the time) 10 year 150000 miles. What happens is the engines flood, burn the apex seals and thats it. Engine done. Couple the fact that the engines never really see proper engine RPM and temperature, it makes for a perfect storm of engine failure in the American Southwest.

Daytona Bike Week 2019 ice cream stand - Edited.jpg They made some one off bikes that you wouldnt expect. I recall HD developed an inline 4 cylinder back in the 80s to compete.

I have seen a V-4 at the H-D Museum, shades of guess-what?

They had designs in a modular format: V-twins, V-4's and a V-6. I'm not familiar with an inline-4. Porsche was retained to assist them in new designs (the NOVA) I think it was back in the late 1970's.

About the time of the employee buyout, the company had to make a decision about going with a design from their outside engineering team, or releasing a new in-house design, the Evolution. They didn't have sufficient funds to do both. They bet-upon aligning with the 'faithful,' their air-cooled V-twin customers, and shelved the outside consultancy product. The Evolution saved the company, as it was a big hit, replacing the Shovelhead.

Last edited:
Had a 75 gt750. I got it barely running in decent shape and totaled it and nearly myself as well about 5 years later and it was almost showbike condition. Most compliments I ever had on a bike and my max is no slouch..
I was on the buffalo at sturgis during the bike week around 2001 when I got my first good look at a VMAX at the next gas pump. He had nitrous kit on it. It left an impression.
That buffalo made a sweet song wringing it’s neck at 110. I didn’t wreck from speeding...... The best race I lost on it was against a hd bagger. He was whipping that poor mule hard trying to pull on me and my shiny old jap crap. Tucking and everything

Last edited:
RARE HARLEY SCOOTER - $1365 (Albuquerque) hide this posting
image 1 of 5
00r0r_2J1eZ3TwOiP_600x450.jpg

01111_j7mHUO9UpmS_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_fXavDVPZj2Y_600x450.jpg

00d0d_iDskhNPSoBM_600x450.jpg

00j0j_dk8xKwSaNwN_600x450.jpg

3245.png
3246.png
3245.png
3245.png
3246.png
3246.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

Harley Topper

fuel: gas
transmission: other

1960-65 Collectible Harley Topper Scooter
Non operational, got from an estate sale. 80% complete. No title. May consider trade for "old school" Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Enduro 250-600 cc's running with title.

Topic of Harleys. Figured this would be a good one to post.

Brother in law picked up an RE5 SUZUKI ROTARY from the dealer he worked at. Dealer still had it new in the
box after two years so he got it for a song. Got to take it out and found it didn't really take off till you hit
about 5000 RPM's. It did have some pick up but not very pretty. He got rid of it because of the special plugs
it used and thought they would be hard to find in the future. Only had it 2-3 years. I opted for the 750 cc
Honda and was happy at the time. Had it till 1983 when the V-65 Magna came out. LOVED that bike. Had it
23 years and then couldn't find a stock exhaust. (Never liked the looks of a four into one exhaust.) Sold it
to the first person that came out. Was without a bike in 2008 until I heard of the new VMAX coming out for
2009. Hard to put $1000 down on a bike I only saw a picture of and never sat on. Had to wait 8 months for
the delivery but don't regret it for one second. Every time I get on the MAX it's like the first time. I would not
recommend it to a beginner. I even turned down a guy for my V65 because it had too much power for a '
beginner. Don't regret it. Have had my Max for 11 years now and still love it. Still get comments on it still.
I'm now 70 and am worried about how long I'll be able to ride. Hope my health holds out......................

I had a V65 Sabre with the hondaline sport fairing. I loved that bike but the cams kept burning up. I love my 94 Max and have health issues that limit my riding to about 15 mile round trips. I still enjoy my Max and even though my riding is limited I have no plans to stop riding just yet. Keep healthy and enjoy your 09 as long as you can.

Doug

Thats why yamaha is my favourite... Good inovations and many things others brands have now were yamaha invention
Especially remarkable when you consider the company started with making reed organs hence the tuning forks of the Yamaha Logo.

I always hoped my health would hold out but recently came down with liver cancer that progressed to my lungs. Am on chemo to try and fight
this off. My Gen 2 sits in the garage all covered up waiting for my return. Will be 74 this year but I do know one thing, I'll never sell my bike. I just
can't. I love it too much even if its to just look at it sitting in the garage. My advice is to ride when you can because no ones promised another day
on earth.

I am sorry to hear of your health issues. I hope your relief is long-lasting and anything else brief as-possible.

One of my mechanic friends, he was retired from a south Florida Ford dealership, and he worked on H-D's as a side-job, and then once he retired from the Ford dealership, he did the H-D's full-time, but on his schedule. I used to stop by when I had a particularly vexing mechanical issue, and more-often than not, he would offer me some advice on how to approach the job.

I've been meaning to stop by to say 'hello' and to see what someone had brought him to fix, but I didn't.

Yesterday I got a call from a mutual acquaintance, who had taken our mutual friend a H-D which belonged to his father, but which had been off the road for a few years. He wanted to give his father a gift, and I suggested that he bring the bike to that guy. The father and the mechanic were both US Army veterans. The bike got fixed, and then the mechanic had serious health issues.

The son gave the repaired H-D to his father, and the father was so-happy to be able to use the bike again. He's older, and while he may not ride it much, he will enjoy it until he decides he's ready to stop riding. When he decides to sell it, as a good runner, he should be able to sell it fairly. Thanks to our friend, May he rest in-peace.

Latest posts

Back