YES, Taking it to the Nines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1badmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally dipped into 9's today at TRP. Wasn't running great up until the last run. Ran 10.1's, 10.2's, 10.3's totaling seven runs. Then on the very last run really brought the 60' time down which turned the ET into 9.98. For anyone that has not followed I just put the bike on the track about a month ago for two weeks in a row then took a break for a couple of weeks and then back today. Vmax is a 2016 and was box stock until I bought it and did the simple MAB, DD to clutch, deleted catalytic convertor with Akrapovic mid pipe, and finally Nash flash to ECU. That is it!!! No front end strap, no air or quick shifter(all done manually) pretty nearly stock. All I did before hitting the strip today was pulled the mirrors off and dropped air in the rear to 21psi. Thanks to my buddy Roger for some coaching, video and encouraging words today in Taking it to the Nines!!! ;)
Screenshot_20211120-154701_TulsaRP.jpg20211120_151952.jpg20211120_142332_Moment.jpg

Last edited:
The 60' made the difference. What rear tire you running?
Avon Cobra Chrome 200/55-18 which is a bit taller than the stock 200/50-18. With the lack of rubber down the center it is probably the same circumference as the stock right now however I have a Shinko Verge 011 stock size ready to put on. Which will be very soon.:)

Avon Cobra Chrome 200/55-18 which is a bit taller than the stock 200/50-18. With the lack of rubber down the center it is probably the same circumference as the stock right now however I have a Shinko Verge 011 stock size ready to put on. Which will be very soon.:)
Are those tires suppose to be a good alternative for the Drag radials like the Dunlop Dragmax or the Shinko !! Just getting started with this bike and feeling it out. Just posted "new " personal bests from yesterday. I can tell already traction and clutch will need some attention to get the potential out of this bike, engine is there.

Attachments

• Scan_20211121.png
    Scan_20211121.png
    428.1 KB · Views: 32
Nice day at the track. You almost (but not quite) matched the ‘86 Gen1 from 1987. Granted, that one had a Kerker on it…

Disclaimer: I am not trolling, I am still amazed that they were able to get that essentially factory motorcycle into the 9s so long ago.

Are those tires suppose to be a good alternative for the Drag radials like the Dunlop Dragmax or the Shinko !! Just getting started with this bike and feeling it out. Just posted "new " personal bests from yesterday. I can tell already traction and clutch will need some attention to get the potential out of this bike, engine is there.
I doubt if the Avon would be considered a good drag tire if you are using it for that most of the time. However it is just about done regarding tread life and I have a Shinko waiting to be put on. I will say that once the Avon is heated I have no trouble with it spinning off the line at the strip. It grabs and goes, first time the front has been in the air multiple times was at the strip. Avon's handle well in turns off the track but the least bit of throttle and they lite up. Also take into consideration that I weigh 165 at the track. Main reason I went with Avon is I run them on my Raider and for a 740 lb bike with a raked front those Avon's stick better than anything IMO.

You had really good time and good top end speed. Your 60' times is the key to really lowering your ET. As you stated working the clutch and the throttle off the line and getting the feel of not spinning but also not throwing it into a giant wheelie is a fine line at times. One of which I am no where near getting it right consistently. Good luck man!

Last edited:
Nice day at the track. You almost (but not quite) matched the ‘86 Gen1 from 1987. Granted, that one had a Kerker on it…

Disclaimer: I am not trolling, I am still amazed that they were able to get that essentially factory motorcycle into the 9s so long ago.
If your referring to the old article featuring The Vmax/ZL900/GSXR1100 and what it took to get it into the 9's ? There was alot more done then just adding a Kerker Pipe, Kosman Racing added a few more parts along with a set of wheelie bars and carb mods ....

If your referring to the old article featuring The Vmax/ZL900/GSXR1100 and what it took to get it into the 9's ? There was alot more done then just adding a Kerker Pipe, Kosman Racing added a few more parts along with a set of wheelie bars and carb mods ....
The VMax engine was stock, internally, while the GSXR engine was opened and rebuilt to a cost of who knows? The Eliminator spun a bearing.

(51) Looking for List of Highest HP Bikes by Year | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Yes, stock Vmax engine, removed the V-boost and some Dyna jet carb tuning. Kosman light weight wheels with a 18" rear wheel and slick and wheelie bars. The Eliminator was Turbo'd and actually had the best terminal speed but no traction then spun that bearing.... Would've been a little more interesting if they had Kosman do a sprocket and chain conversion on both the Vmax and the Eliminator !!!

I miss my Eliminator(s). Had a brand new 85 off an Ocala Florida Kawi showroom floor. Then an identical one 10 years ago that I set up like I should have in '85. Now I have only pics of both ....:(

(Pics of the recent one are in my albums)

And some road rash from one of them, as I saw. The Ninja 900 was a great engine. My friend had a first-year Ninja 1000 with a 'Superbike Mike' Keyte cyl head, cams, a D&D exhaust, and higher compression. It was a screamer. Then Kawasaki released the ZX-11.

Last edited:
I miss my Eliminator(s). Had a brand new 85 off an Ocala Florida Kawi showroom floor. Then an identical one 10 years ago that I set up like I should have in '85. Now I have only pics of both ....:(

(Pics of the recent one are in my albums)

I found a ZL1000 that had " 2 spare motors " a year or so ago. Turns out the ZRX 1200 motor in it had spun a bearing and trashed the crank , one " spare " ZRX motor was in pieces and rusted from being left out in the weather uncovered , and the original ZL motor had been sold by the guy's father , " with out his knowledge ". I've found a replacement ZRX motor here in FL while on vacation and hope to make him an offer he can't refuse. My ZL is the rare Red version and the tank is perfect. It won't be original if I replace it with a ZRX motor , but it still should be quick and reliable.

The "nines" bike (which is here at the shop), had the prototype Kerker 4-2-1 on it which is quite different then the production part. It also had the prototype stage seven on it. Coupled with the wheeliebar, slick, light wheels, and a very light experienced rider that let it run an amazing pass at sea level. Factor in some of those items on his pass and it would have been quite a bit faster too.

Eventually I will get it off the bike and side by side pics. It's a lot different.

How much weight do you loose when you get rid of the stock unit and go after market full system ? I went with a complete Hindle system.

Finally made it back to the track after adding the New exhaust system/air box mod and ECU reflash also lowered 2" rear and 1" in the front. Previous personal bests 10.67/10.66 @ 131 MPH. Here's my new Personal Bests on this bike ! My NHRA #7159 Scan_20220130.jpg

Latest posts

Back