Yet another Gen1 - critical mass achieved

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
OK. This is not the kind of thing that one can keep quiet in a Vmax forum. I recently had an opportunity to bid on and acquire a 2005 anniversary edition Vmax. One owner, gentleman passed away, bike has been sitting for a little over two years. I did not hear it run. So yes, it is a bit of a leap of faith, but I am not overly concerned about the outcome… Yet.

If it runs anywhere near as good as it looks, I did just fine. Hydraulics seem good, all fluids clear, coolant fresh and green, oil like honey. Brand new Dunlops… Date codes 0918 still have the nubs on them.

I believe all it will need is a carb cleaning, a battery and fresh gas.

That’s the plan anyway. If all is well, the 86 will be on the chopping block. (After I seriously bonded with it over the last year). <sniff>58A13D1B-12B4-4A9E-A6E8-32C684DE41A0.jpeg5DFB6AA3-E60B-41BB-9C40-ADD2E95D9FD0.jpeg81CEDA8F-8250-4E50-99A6-C4BE14178EEB.jpeg44EE0E52-7319-4DB7-A137-E76262AD85A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Really nice acquisition.

Those are Kenda Kruz tires. I'm sure some others would scoff, but I put them on a Honda V65 and I really liked them.

You are right! He told me Dunlop and I didn't even look. Kendas they are. They seem like a really soft compound. I'll find out.

And thanks for the positive chatter, guys - and telling me I'm not nuts for having three Gen1s in the garage.

OK. This is not the kind of thing that one can keep quiet in a Vmax forum. I recently had an opportunity to bid on and acquire a 2005 anniversary edition Vmax. One owner, gentleman passed away, bike has been sitting for a little over two years. I did not hear it run. So yes, it is a bit of a leap of faith, but I am not overly concerned about the outcome… Yet.

If it runs anywhere near as good as it looks, I did just fine. Hydraulics seem good, all fluids clear, coolant fresh and green, oil like honey. Brand new Dunlops… Date codes 0918 still have the nubs on them.

I believe all it will need is a carb cleaning, a battery and fresh gas.

That’s the plan anyway. If all is well, the 86 will be on the chopping block. (After I seriously bonded with it over the last year). <sniff>View attachment 75273View attachment 75274View attachment 75275View attachment 75276
Have you named him/her yet?

I have a 2005 , I love it. Congratulations. Very nice machine!

Thanks for all the kind comments. I am thrilled to have this one. I am done! And I don't name machines. It is simply "the '05" .

But, as it is a California bike, there are a few extra "features". One is this canister behind the motor on the left side. Must be an Evap canister - is it detrimental to optimal fuel flow? Should I lose it and the rest of the plumbing that goes along with it?
Screenshot_2021-02-07-06-45-15.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind comments. I am thrilled to have this one. I am done! And I don't name machines. It is simply "the '05" .

But, as it is a California bike, there are a few extra "features". One is this canister behind the motor on the left side. Must be an Evap canister - is it detrimental to optimal fuel flow? Should I lose it and the rest of the plumbing that goes along with it?
View attachment 75277
I would lose it no real need for it unless you live in California .LOL

Latest posts

Back