Yet another Gen1 - critical mass achieved

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sean,
In that Screenshot_5.jpg picture, do you sell that assembly in chrome 'ready to go?' In other words, the Virago upper piece along with the Vmax backrest replacement part already chromed and ready to bolt on just like in that picture (not the shorty plastic fender tail or anything like that. Just the metal backrest pieces).
*like this;

Thanks,
Vinnie
I have a nearly brand new chrome riser on hand but it's for another backrest. I do have other risers that I can chrome and do on an exchange to help hold your cost down a little. We can set it up with the pad as well. Email me at [email protected]

that 20th anniversary looks very clean/shiny and original. hang on to it.
i was lloking to get a red one, and nearly did ... but since I've had 2 red bikes, wnated someting different so went for black.

Ok, I skipped a couple of hours, but didn’t wanna bore you guys out of your minds. Bottom line, it’s a real, honest to goodness Vmax. Does everything a Vmax should do. The vboost kicks in at about 6K and the afterburners do their thing. Smooth, quiet, solid second gear. Vietnam vet took care of it. Very pleased.

Anybody interested in a nice 86?
D265BD60-0254-435E-AD6E-69FC61B5501B.jpegB71B2ABA-C506-4BB4-BDEF-4B9857E49990.jpeg

The 20th anniversary is lookin' good. What's the price for the '86? Since AZ is an area where with a few exceptions, you can ride year-round (though the summer months are probably uncomfortable) I'd think you should have little difficulty in selling.

Hadn't really set a firm price yet, but was thinking in the neighborhood of $3500. Around here, that's about dead center for a nice running and looking Gen1. This one is exceptionally clean and well sorted.

By the way, I certainly wouldn't be riding year round in northern Arizona. The climate up on the rim, say Flagstaff for example, is roughly equivalent to Concord New Hampshire. With a bit less precip.

max, you make my life miserable... :) Take her to Bartlett Lake ... I still did not do the ride

Very nice bike, would buy it in an instant if I lived in the US.
I’ve spent some time in Phoenix and stayed on west thunderbird, would drive to Winslow and spend some time there also, would then head to clear creek etc. Love the weather, its incredible biker country.

Very nice bike, would buy it in an instant if I lived in the US.
I’ve spent some time in Phoenix and stayed on west thunderbird, would drive to Winslow and spend some time there also, would then head to clear creek etc. Love the weather, its incredible biker country.

It is ... had about 22 Degree Celcius yesterday, wonderful ride. :)

I live in the East Valley and I still do not regret the move away from Germany. :D

Anybody interested in a nice 86?
l
Not the 86 but would be interested in the 20th anniversary if it was in the UK.

Congrats I think you have made the correct decision.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have had such an agonizing time deciding which of these bikes to keep, they're actually both up for sale. I figured I'd let the market decide for me! There's serious interest in both (about 12 hours on the market).

Pros and cons:

2005 pros:
- Better Brakes
- Better forks
- Better? ignition
- A helmet lock!
- black wheels
- ghost flames
- "collectible"

2005 cons:
- to really stay collectible, it needs to stay original
- I have a VERY hard time with that, so it's a HUGE con
- a few thousand more miles
- front valve cover leak. (just did both 86 covers and grommets)
(not in a hurry to do it again)

1986 pros:
- it's only a common '86
- Dale Walker Holeshots!
- jetted correctly
- runs like a Bashee
- Sean's midcut seat
- superbike bars
- billet levers and mirrors

1986 cons:
- I'd get a bit less return on my investment selling this one.

While I'm not really in this game to make money, I've got a lot of sweat equity in the 86 as well as a few choice bits. I even have an extra set of skins I'm going to paint to have a split personality. I am into it fairly cheaply, but I really stand to gain a lot more ground on the 05. A LOT! That's a pretty satisfying feeling as the only money spent was for a battery and spark plugs - and three or four hours spent on the carbs.

Sorry to disappoint the purists amongst us, but unless somebody shows up today waving Benjamins, I am going to push the 05 harder.

You guys know that I did some serious soul-searching on which machine to keep. But based on the pros and cons noted above, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the 86 fits me more. The anniversary bike deserves to stay just like it is - original. But for instance, I even have a second set of skins for the 86 to provide a split personality option. Still pondering which way to go on that.

So, the fellow who took the 05 away this morning intends to simply ride, polish and maintain. Just what that bike deserves. He didn’t even quibble on the asking price. That never happens. Another one of those guys who said he had admired them since he was a kid and always wanted one. Now he has it.

Of course, I had mixed emotions because it was a beautiful machine. But I have more plans for some additional minor mods to the 86 - never anything radical, but time to beef up the handling. High speed wobbles suck.

Onward and upward.

Back