You lookin to race.... I mean are you lookin to race?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Title being said in a young Deniro voice mimicing Taxi Driver's you lookin at me.

So such a beautiful day, its 4 pm and I decide to take a half day off work ( I came in late too at 8:30 am ). Now the turbo bike isn't running great at part throttle, but its the only bike I have to ride right now, so I hop on that and head out to Woodward.

Totally a stupid idea. You can't sit long without air flow moving because the turbo gets the bike so hot so fast. So I figure I ll park someplace and just pop a squat and watch some cars.

Parking a bike off Woodward during the "Cruise" is not super hard. But a little nerve racking since so many people are down there. And people aren't watching the road around them.

Before I find a spot, of course I have all kinds of people hooting and hollering to light em up. But I know I ll be the one made an example of it I do, so I just ignore it. Until a guy in a big block blown Chevelle thats all tubbed out with wheelie bars and a parachute pulls up with his bearded girl friend in tow. They start reving their engine and looking at me and pointing. I look around and then look back at him ( being surrounded by cars ) and point in front of us and shrug at him. So he motions me off to a side street. I follow him down one, turn, down another, turn down three more and now we are about 3 miles away from the ruckus and on a semi desolate road.

We line up next to each other.... I look at him and give him three fingers and tell him to move up three car lengths ahead of me. He looks and laughs and his girlfriend is rolling. So I pull out my wallet..... and wave the wallet at him. He grins... I flash a 100 sign and he nods. I can tell his girl friend is now thinking that he is going to walk away from this with a $100 in his pocket.

So he does this massive burnout, engulfs teh whole road and myself. I just wait....and wait another minute......and the smoke clears. I do a quick heat the tire up, 5 count and his girl hops out of the car between us and throws her arms up. She looks at him ( remember he is three lengths ahead of me ) nods and drops her hands. Right when she nod's he takes off. Like I didn't give him enough of a lead already.... :biglaugh:

Whichever.... I take off after him and pass him just after shifting into 3rd gear. I stay on it till I am about 6 lengths ahead of him just to let him know hes a dumbass. We circle back around and I zip down to his 6'2 240 lb girl friend who is picking her hairy jaw off the ground. I stop get off my bike and take off my helmet and sit on my bike. He pulls up and motions for her to get in. He doesn't shut the car off. So I go and stand in front of his car and motion towards my pocket, which I had pulled out ( LOL ). He shakes his head no. I shake my head yes, and again he shakes his head no.

So I pull out my cell phone and act like I am taking a picture of the road where he did the big burnout, of his car, zoom in and take a picture of his face and act like I am calling 911! :rofl_200: He storms out of the car and now is confronting me.

I take a step back and put my empty hand out, now mind you this whole time I haven't said a word to him. He reaches in his pocket and pulls out his wallet, he hands me a $20. I do that hand gesture of "keep it coming" and he says thats all I have. So I pocket the $20 and put my hand out to shake, he turns away and storms back to his car.

I walk back to my bike never having said a word. He storms off in a cloud of dust. At this point I think its a good time to vacate the area with all the noise that was going on.

So I head back to my bike and mountup. I take off back to Woodward to carch a little more action before I head out with my bountiful $20 gain.

Now I am cruising up in the Pontiac part of Woodward because its a little more open and a guy in a Shelby Cobra pulls up next to me and smiles. I give him a thumbs up and nod. I love Cobra's and some day I ll have one or something close to it. This is an older guy, probably in his 60's, with I am hoping his daughter in the passenger seat, because she looks 12. He looks over again and floors it, spinning the tires and going a little side ways. Impressive, I love those cars and never miss a chance to see one take off. So I catch up and again give him the thumbs up. He smiles. So I drop the bike into second gear, give her a quick blip of the clutch and throttle and lay down a half sideways roller from about 45 mph for about 30 feet. Scared the shit out of me. The old man zips up next to me and both him and the girl are applauding me and giving me thumbs up! :clapping:

I make a u turn and head down south towards the heart of the cruise, the overheating crazy parking lot they call Woodward! Again just before I get into the thick of things again, a bad ass blown and turbo charged 72-73 Camaro pulls up next to me. Again wheelie bars and the whole 9 yards. This thing sounds the part and looks the part. He smiles and I nod. There are cars about 400 feet in front of us. People on the sides of the road on both sides, yelling for his to light it up, cars on either side of us. My adrenalin is pumping. My heart is about to rip out of my chest, this could be a close match. Tons of people watching, cars around us. I am not that comfortable. But you only live once and I didn't buy this bike to go slow on.

So I drop it down to first gear, we doing a 20 mph roll. He honks his horn once, then twice and on the third honk, yep, he leaves as he is honking the horn. I know I ve done it. Its what you do when you want to win.

I shit you not, I see day light under his wheels. I am not talking inches either. They came up about a foot off the ground. Them wheelie bars need a little adjusting my friend. I am mesmerized for a split nano second. Oh shit.... I am running this dude... So I spin the throttle like its going to come off the bar end. Click click click, I am in third gear and about 4 lengths ahead of him. I slam on my brakes down shift hard to second gear and have just enough time to slow down before I meet a 50's lead sled in the ass. Actually I am exaggerating Ihad plenty of room to stop. But that wouldn't make the story fun.

He pulls up to me and has a huge smile on his face and him and his buddy are giving thumbs up and nodding. I do the same.

I figure I either have to get out of Woodward or park and take a walk. I think I am going to piss my pants because of the excitement and I don't think I should stick around for another round of elimination. The excitement of the people around us is powerful. I figure its a good time to make an exit. So I head off down 16 mile towards Van Dyke and towards home.

I am about 10 miles away and a super nice 91 Syclone pulls up next to me. We are rolling for about a mile and come to a red light. I look over and he is looking over at me. I nod and point to his truck and give him a thumbs up. Another vehicle I would like to own. Those things can be wicked fast. This one is all stock it sounds like. The light turns green and I ease the clutch out and roll 30 feet and hammer on it. I bounce the rev limiter and hit second, but miss. Bounce the limiter again and hammer second and third and realize again. WTF am I doing, I am on a 50 mph road doing 120 mph..... So I tell myself how stupid I am and say I am going to obey the speed limit the rest of the way home. Well that lasted 1 mile.... a little kid in a topless Bronco is staring back at me and either elbowing his sister or mom and pointing to me. I am getting ready to pass them ( its a 4 lane road ) and when I pull next to them he is kneeling on his seat to see me go by. So I hammer on it, smoke the tire and take off. Yes I checked the mileage, I have a little more than 1000 miles on this back tire and its history. The Bronco pulls up next to me and the kid is waving at me, so I wave back and from that point on I did the speed limit all the way home.

So I probably had atleast 5 reckless driving tickets that would have taken me to jail, possibly 1 chance to bite it and hit a nice restored car and who knows what else they would throw at me.....:confused2:

I am putting my shoes on to go back out there...... :biglaugh:

My best buddy from college in MI was raised in Birmingham. One of his friends who I know has a altered wheelbase Dart w/a straight axle & a 340, a fun car for Dream cruise. He's had it since the '70's. There are lots of rides like that and there's always something to see. You had fun, glad no one was hurt, & you still have a license.

Too-bad there wasn't someone holdin' the gelt for you when you went out to run.

...Meanwhile the cops are reading this post, have your IP address, your ISP,
your account name, your details, your home address and are on the way lol

...Meanwhile the cops are reading this post, have your IP address, your ISP,
your account name, your details, your home address and are on the way lol

Nah, officer, it was just all BS to entertain my forum buddies. Honest. :biglaugh:

Reminds me of a few weeks ago when a couple kids (ok, maybe early 20's... that spells "kids" to a 40 yr old) pulled up next to me in a freaking Dodge Viper GTS while I am in my truck. And the driver is gunning the friggin gas like he wants to race. I chuckle, thinking that he must be the shittiest driver in the world to have to race me in my truck.

He attempts a burnout. Stalls it. I laugh. The passenger looks at me doin some kind of "come on" gesture. I reach down to give a lever a good yank.

The light turns green, and the truck leaps ahead. The Viper kinda sits there, ass end of the car twisting into where I was just sitting. Damn kid has no clue what to do with the power, and I had slipped Nightmare Moon (yes, I named my truck too) into 4wd so I would not light up the tires.

Now, I know this car. I have seen the the engine, and the build sheet and dyno slip. And I an CERTAIN that the owner of the car would be pissed if he knew his son was doin shit like that in his VERY expensive semi-exotic sportscar.

Had the dad been driving, this would have been completely different.

Seen the youtube video of the Viper driver rear-ending someone trying to make time in heavy traffic? A regular laugh-a-thon! More power in their engine compartment than driver skill in those operators' abilities! Looks like a Midwest Rust-Belt expressway, I couldn't read the exit signs. This Viper is "Ram-tough!":biglaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4DIUZ_g6pk&feature=player_detailpage

Great story, sounds like fun! I do love that heart pounding adrenaline rush that you get while about to race!! I got a little adrenaline just by reading your stories. Your bike must be a real attention getter...got any pictures?

I ran in to a guy on B king bike he kelp popping wheelies and revving the motor I'm rolling along about 65 miles in hour. This guy takes off and then slow's down for me. He said pops pops let the old bike go and see if you can keep up. I said no your to fast for me. So he said I will take it easy on you. We get to the next light man we hit it I jump him buy 2 bikes and roll to 125 and back off he said man pops I miss 2nd gear lets roll again pops. I said OK next light, we are at the light the guy smoking his tire some man I'm gagging from the smoke I no the cars behind us thought this guy was nuts. So light turn green he jump up up up almost flip back, I just roll easy to 65 and watch him go this guy most thought I was still rolling with him. He waiting for me down the road. Said pops pops pops what happen man man I'm to fast for your. I said no not really - I just won'ted to make sure you could find 2nd gear so maybe you can beat your self down the road. funny funny. I said to him the 1st time was good enough for me. The guy crack up ha ha some much almost fell off the bike.

Back