You'll probably hate me for this...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinkydau444

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post paint threads, but I figured this might work.

So I use my engine guards as footrests, but my feet slide off the chrome. I picked up some Rustoleum Primer and Rustoleum Bed Liner sprays, and I'm gonna strip the chrome off and put this stuff on.

Before you call me crazy, take a looksee!

http://www.f150online.com/forums/ap...eum-spray-bed-liner-rockers-bumpers-done.html

Depending on how it turns out, I may go Truck Bed Liner crazy and take most of the chrome off my bike with it... I love the flat blac, and I'd probably be the only Max out there with this kinda scheme... One thing I definitely want to do is paint the underside of the air scoops. I saw one guy on here with the top half silver and the underside black. I thought that looked pretty damn cool.

Am I crazy? Am I a genius? Lemme know what you think!

I'd also like some help from anyone with painting experience. What Kind of prep work should I do? I bought some 150 grit sandpaper to strip the chrome (is this rough enough?) and some 400 grit sandpaper for once the major chrome stripping is done. I was then gonna put two coats of primer and three coats of the liner down...

Again, ANY and ALL help/ball-busting is appreciated.

-Chris

my scoops are satin black tops and crinkle on the bottom (powercoat) looks nice. i had them do the lettering 'chrome powder' as well.

So I use my engine guards as footrests, but my feet slide off the chrome. I picked up some Rustoleum Primer and Rustoleum Bed Liner sprays, and I'm gonna strip the chrome off and put this stuff on.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/ap...eum-spray-bed-liner-rockers-bumpers-done.html

Depending on how it turns out, I may go Truck Bed Liner crazy and take most of the chrome off my bike with it... I love the flat blac, and I'd probably be the only Max out there with this kinda scheme... One thing I definitely want to do is paint the underside of the air scoops. I saw one guy on here with the top half silver and the underside black. I thought that looked pretty damn cool.

I'd also like some help from anyone with painting experience. What Kind of prep work should I do? I bought some 150 grit sandpaper to strip the chrome (is this rough enough?) and some 400 grit sandpaper for once the major chrome stripping is done. I was then gonna put two coats of primer and three coats of the liner down...

-Chris

I bought some uber sticky stair non-slip grip tape and added a nice strip to the top of the guards. Works great and is removable without harming the chrome.

I bought some uber sticky stair non-slip grip tape and added a nice strip to the top of the guards. Works great and is removable without harming the chrome.

Thought about doing that, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of chrome. I like black better... The engine isn't chromed out so I don't see the chrome accessories as adding to anything. They just seem out of place to me... Everyone's got their cup of tea I guess.

I'm kind of partial to the murdered out look myself but find myself torn between that and chrome. If I go with the flat black, I'll have put a bunch of that reflective coating in some spots. I still want to be seen at night by more than my running lights. My scoops are done as you described. Aluminum upper half with black bottom.

But yeah,I think murder it out with some tires that have that red stripe and one or two other red highlights and she'll turn some heads

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Let us know how you prepped the chrome for paint? I've heard that bleach does it in, but haven't tried it yet. I media blasted some OEM chrome engine guards to powder coat black. The blasting with media for aluminum didn't touch it .Chrome is hard stuff, and expensive to have done. They'll be a lot of powder coated stuff on my bike next season. I'll be offering it to the masses when I think it's good enough to sell. You all here get it cheaper. My ride has to be a rolling advertisement for me.
Blacked out? It's a cool look and a breeze to maintain. I like a little bling myself. Flat black can also be powder coated
Steve-o

I'm kind of partial to the murdered out look myself but find myself torn between that and chrome. If I go with the flat black, I'll have put a bunch of that reflective coating in some spots. I still want to be seen at night by more than my running lights. My scoops are done as you described. Aluminum upper half with black bottom.

But yeah,I think murder it out with some tires that have that red stripe and one or two other red highlights and she'll turn some heads

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I will also be looking to add either reflective coating or possibly just adding more lights. I wouldn't mind having a light bar, and maybe some LED's some day. Make the back light up like a Christmas Tree! I'll also be wearing reflective vests and the like when Riding at night.

Let us know how you prepped the chrome for paint? I've heard that bleach does it in, but haven't tried it yet. I media blasted some OEM chrome engine guards to powder coat black. The blasting with media for aluminum didn't touch it .Chrome is hard stuff, and expensive to have done. They'll be a lot of powder coated stuff on my bike next season. I'll be offering it to the masses when I think it's good enough to sell. You all here get it cheaper. My ride has to be a rolling advertisement for me.
Blacked out? It's a cool look and a breeze to maintain. I like a little bling myself. Flat black can also be powder coated
Steve-o

I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. It's funny you mention that it's a breeze to maintain. One of the points everyone on the F-150 thread I posted made is that if they ever get dings or anything on it, all they have to do is take a spray can of the liner and retouch it. It blends perfectly. That was definitely a selling point for me. I'm still riding whenever possible, but I'm getting around to the whole project. Procrastinating is a bad habit of mine

I'm with you dude. I'm not a fan of chrome but I'm a big fan of the rat rod and rat bikes. Just flat black it and it will look sick! I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

To each his own, I guess blacked out looks cool but personally, I like the shiny chrome look even though it is a lot of work to keep clean. It does figure. Just depends what you like.

Last edited:
I Did my street fughter in that last year it came out awsome hope the pic loads

Photo07141936.jpg

I love the flat black, that was the route i was going when i decided on blacking out the chrome, and getting custom paint on the tins. (Check my pics.)

There is a member in my region that has gone all Mad Max on his ride and did his Max with rock guard, i like it.

Flat black and red are one of my favortie combos. Or blue and silver.

Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm old school but flat black to me looks like primer when you have a gloss finish anywhere near it. If everything is flat or matte finish then it looks intentional but when I see some flat and some gloss on the same bike it just looks unfinished. I'm looking to get another bike and think I may do the blacked out look. Something I can just jump on and ride. But I'll keep my showbike( as a rider) too.

I used a very low gloss black powder coat for my wheels. I like it. I just did most of the chrome on a 2010 Street Glide with this color. The owner loves it.(kind of thought he lost his mind at first, the chrome was perfect) But, I warmed up to it myself.
Stripping chrome? Good luck. You might be sanding for a long time. You really only need to take the shine off of it. It takes a long time to blast through the chrome on the engine guards with glass bead at 90 psi. They are done really well by Yamaha.
Steve-o

-Chris
I was thinking wrinkle black on the top bar only, where my boots scratch up the chrome, then mirror or semi gloss black on the rest of the guard. Or, some traction stick on. Mark went that route over chrome and it looks nice.
Steve

Assassin, is that one stage paint? Seems like it. Love the red frame BTW. Nice work.

Keith, don't suppose I could trouble you for some better pics of your bike? I'm considering flat black seriously right now.

To each his own, I guess blacked out looks cool but personally, I like the shiny chrome look even though it is a lot of work to keep clean. It does figure. Just depends what you like.
I'm with Kyle on this one, tasteful chrome never goes out of style and the rat rod/flat black (murdered out) look is just another fad if you ask me... I do like it in certain cases but most of the time it just makes the bike or car look shitty but that's just my opinion... It's you money and your bikes so do what you want with them :punk:

Back