Zef Eisenberg

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I saw the article on his death. The two cyl banks on a common crankcase is how the first Ducati V-twins came into being. The same idea was used 'way-before that, as well.

Allen Millyard is famous for his Yamaha V-8's made upon the same principle. He's also made some other weird, wonderful concept bikes.

A pic of the Kawasaki V-12.
Allen Millyard Kawasaki V-12 Barber Museum.png

When people tell you it cant be done and you see this guys fruits of his labor. I always marvel at the things us humans do. Imagine where we would be if these pioneers actually listened to the naysayers.

Sure you can do almost anything, given the skills, the tools and the budget. After Sputnik went into orbit over the USA, I remember going outside during a new moon to watch the Red (Communist) Moon pass-by. Then the Soviet dogs were launched into space and Yuri Gagarin becoming the first human in-space, he orbited while the best we could do was to go into space on a parabola and descend back to earth. But we made the announcement to the world: we were going to the Moon! And we did.

I think what a lot of people are saying is that for most people, it's not gonna happen, but many of us are interested to-see what someone with the knowledge, skills, and bankroll can do. The old adage: "speed costs money, how-fast can you afford to-go?"

My friend whom I've known for almost 50 years, he's a machinist, and he makes my VMax Gen 1 wheels in 17" and 18" sizes for the rear. He runs his own machine shop, he and his father both worked as machinists for Harvey Crane of Crane Cams, before he went-out on his own. He once made a small production run of billet KZ 1000J cylinder heads because he found a market. I don't recall any naysayers picketing the front of the shop when he's been doing projects. Most of his time is doing mods to Porsches and offshore powerboat racers' powerplants. He does things for me when I can afford to use his services, such as undercutting transmissions too. He did the machining to install Hyabusa top end components into a Gen. 1 VMax cyl head. I don't recall any naysayers outside the shop, but I'm sure there are some, somewhere, saying to someone, "noooo!" I'm with pighuntingpuppy, stay away!

I just muddle along copying the best of what I have seen and like - but am capable of doing… Which isn’t very much… And standing on the shoulders of giants. That’s what we humans do, build on the discoveries and technologies developed by those that came before us.

Viva Milyard. Godspeed Eisenberg.

I will upset everyone by being somewhat of a naysayer. Much progress in technology has been to driven to keep the next man down - for example all the money and effort spent on wars could have had us walking on Mars now, maybe.
Flying at 5x the speed of sound - how does that benefit me? That particular supersonic technology was developed effectively to spy on the USSR with the ability to outrun missiles. As a child it was predicted that by 2000 we will have flying cars and robots doing all our work. 20 years after that, I don't see any of it but than a new era of religious hatred.
GPS was developed by the military to accurately lock missiles onto target but unusually in this case I and other civilians benefited with car satnav and other mapping devices.

Getting back to Zef. As far as I can see, the records he set was a personal indulgence, I mean who really cares if a diesel van can drive at over 200mph? I don't. And it is not useful since the speed limit here is 70 mph. He had the money, time, skill and obviously much bravery doing what is a very exclusive hobby, sadly it was a extremely dangerous too and it killed him.

I will upset everyone by being somewhat of a naysayer. Much progress in technology has been to driven to keep the next man down - for example all the money and effort spent on wars could have had us walking on Mars now, maybe.
Flying at 5x the speed of sound - how does that benefit me? That particular supersonic technology was developed effectively to spy on the USSR with the ability to outrun missiles. As a child it was predicted that by 2000 we will have flying cars and robots doing all our work. 20 years after that, I don't see any of it but than a new era of religious hatred.
GPS was developed by the military to accurately lock missiles onto target but unusually in this case I and other civilians benefited with car satnav and other mapping devices.

Getting back to Zef. As far as I can see, the records he set was a personal indulgence, I mean who really cares if a diesel van can drive at over 200mph? I don't. And it is not useful since the speed limit here is 70 mph. He had the money, time, skill and obviously much bravery doing what is a very exclusive hobby, sadly it was a extremely dangerous too and it killed him.
I wont hate on you. I can see some of your points. But also at the same respect, you have to see things like this coming from different areas and benefitting you. Microwave ovens. Velcro. Computers. Cell phones and so on. There are a great many things in your life now that you have benefitted from that came from something other than it is used now.

One thing, as a personal note, your flying cars comment.....I have to laugh when I hear that cause I think to myself, look at these retards on the road today. They can barely handle 2 dimensions on a good day. Do you really think the vast majority of these people can handle 3 dimensions? There you are....walking down the street minding your own business. Out of nowhere, you hear a crash. You look left, you look left, BAM....a car falls on your head. I have no doubt that one day we finally will be there with flying personal transportation. Society is ready for it. People are not. And thats not me naysaying the tech. Thats me naysaying the people.

Flying cars comment.....I have to laugh when I hear that cause I think to myself, look at these retards on the road today. They can barely handle 2 dimensions on a good day. Do you really think the vast majority of these people can handle 3 dimensions?
It's not so much the driving but reliability that should be the greater concern,. If you run out fuel or breakdown in a car, you are not going to tumble out of the sky. Main reason airplanes are so reliable is the amount of maintenance they receive. I'm guessing that it'll be equivalent to a half hour full service check of yer vmax before every ride, I can't see the average Joe bothering to do that.

It's not so much the driving but reliability that should be the greater concern,. If you run out fuel or breakdown in a car, you are not going to tumble out of the sky. Main reason airplanes are so reliable is the amount of maintenance they receive. I'm guessing that it'll be equivalent to a half hour full service check of yer vmax before every ride, I can't see the average Joe bothering to do that.
You are absolutely right on that. But as we have seen with something like regular automobiles, in less than 30 years, we seen automobiles go from around 100k miles to well over 200 and 300K miles. Yes, failures can occur. Most are due to peoples lack of maintenance. But who is to say where we will be in another 30 years with wear items like engines. Despite overcoming the flaws of technology....people will still be people. For a vast majority of them....dumb.

One last thing....I chuckled cause you brought it up....the half hour service check before every ride, LOL....gotta really think....how many people check before they ride? After they ride? I am sure here, on this forum, most are religious inspectors of their machines. It just seems like that type of crowd to me. I am willing to bet that alot dont even bother checking anything on their bikes till a service is due or when a bike changes hands. Tire pressures and condition are always before every ride. After a ride is when I do my checks. Oil, coolant, brake and clutch fluids. Check brake pads and fork seals as a visual every time. I dont yank plugs cause it would be overkill and if the bike performs normally, there is generally no need to.

Back