ZX-9(1999) rear wheel to fit V-Max???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
Who mods a rear wheel from a 98-99 ZX-9 to fit the V-Max??? I picked up a USD front end from a V-Max being parted. It has a polished 3.5" X 17" front wheel(from same ZX-9). The rear wheel had already been sold so i missed out on that. The owner did'nt know who had modded it. Now i'm hunting a match for the front. I've run across a fella that mods Mid-90's GSXR wheels(straight spoke as well as angled spoke semi-simmilar to my angle spoked front). Just not as close a match as i'd like. The wheels from cycle oneoff are close as well but not right on either.
Anyone know or have any ideas???

Nossir, thats not it. That one looks like the one Cycle oneoff offers. Semi close but not quite it. I'll see if i can get a pic of my front wheel.
Here is a pic that exactally matches my front wheel...

Attachments

• ZX-9 wheel.jpg
    ZX-9 wheel.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 46
I would call Kossman. All they have to do is swap the hubs out.
Do a search using google . com and type in VMAX wheel conversion. Maybe even call joe at boxxen stop located in Daytona Beach, Fla.
If someone mods the GSXR wheel to fit I dont see why they couldnt do a Kawi wheel provided to them..

Nossir, thats not it. That one looks like the one Cycle oneoff offers. Semi close but not quite it. I'll see if i can get a pic of my front wheel.
Here is a pic that exactally matches my front wheel...

Are you positive that it was a ZX-9 rear used before???

Tom at COO uses 89 FZR 1000 wheels for his conversion. Mine is pictured below before coating.

Neil

Attachments

• coo_wheel.jpg
    coo_wheel.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 51
Any pictures of that USD front end you could post???

Surely someone around here can find the matching rear wheel for you. (Like Me)

My USD Front/Rear Wheel is Custom 1999-2007 Hayabusa/COO FZR 1000 and hardly noticeable.

Show us!!!!

In all my research I have never seen a ZX rear wheel used. Understand that I have read the book on suspension conversion front and rear.

The cush drive and axle diameter might be a problem if people dont really know what they are talking about.

What rear shocks do you want to run??? Mine are off a VTX 1300-1800 with custom bushings pressed in.

Geez that sounds like I'm blowing my own horn doesnt it??? Sorry about that...just been there and done that before.

:punk:

Attachments

• BarneyMax_01.jpg
    BarneyMax_01.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 46
  • BarneyMax_03.jpg
    BarneyMax_03.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 71
I do have some pic's on my home computer. I'll get them up late tonite or tomorrow. I've not installed the front end on my V-Max yet, since i don't have the rear wheel yet. I checked last night and i have two or three pic's of the rear wheel on the previous bike, but....the spokes happened to be lined just right so you can't see them!
I checked with the fella that sells the "Wider Wheels" on Ebay. He said that the hub needs to be at least 7" for him to mod the wheel(the cush hub that is). The ZX-9 wheel has a 5 7/8" cush hub...no workie.
I'm running Progressive 512 rear shocks(either 412 or 512, can't remember!)

Here are some pic's. They are from the bike i got the USD from(along with the seat, shocks, braced swing arm and frame braces...). The pic of the rear does'nt really show the spokes. The lip of the wheel seems to match the front. Thats about all i can tell.

Attachments

• P1030779.JPG
    P1030779.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 81
  • P1030778.JPG
    P1030778.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 54
  • P1030815.JPG
    P1030815.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 41
  • P1030877.JPG
    P1030877.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 64
  • P1030879.JPG
    P1030879.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 56
  • P1030878.JPG
    P1030878.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 55
  • K+uddTkzVGPCWBPau+oTCB0gd5LPTEA20300.jpg
    K+uddTkzVGPCWBPau+oTCB0gd5LPTEA20300.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 50
Is there anything wrong with the tripples i have? I've not installed it yet. I wanted to wait til i got a rear wheel so i could swap to radials all the way around at the same time. Don't wanna ride with bias/radial missmatch.
What tripples do you have? Benifits over the set i have?
BTW, i think i've decided to get the straight spoke wheel off Ebay. If its too far off from the front that it bothers me, i can always pickup a Bandit straight spoked front wheel(the 97-00 Bandits used the speedo drive on the front wheel) and see if i can swap that on. They use the same axle diameter as the ZX. May be awhile though, i wanna get this bike transformed and start enjoying the upgrades!

Is there anything wrong with the tripples i have? I've not installed it yet. I wanted to wait til i got a rear wheel so i could swap to radials all the way around at the same time. Don't wanna ride with bias/radial missmatch.
What tripples do you have? Benifits over the set i have?
BTW, i think i've decided to get the straight spoke wheel off Ebay. If its too far off from the front that it bothers me, i can always pickup a Bandit straight spoked front wheel(the 97-00 Bandits used the speedo drive on the front wheel) and see if i can swap that on. They use the same axle diameter as the ZX. May be awhile though, i wanna get this bike transformed and start enjoying the upgrades!

Easy...your are in fine shape with the setup you have. Just make sure the stem is in good shape, along with the head bearings.

Mine is a Hayabusa triple with a Max stem pressed in, and COO extensions. Never really saw anyone run this setup hardcore. I spent the extra on the COO extensions to make it work.

I'm 2007 Hayabusa front and 1989 FZR 1000 rear. No speedometer because they only get me in trouble. Makes me wanna go faster than the last digit printed.

COO 17/5.5 wheel on the back with a 200/50-17 Shinko 003 tire. Front is a 120/80/17 Shinko or something like that. Just the standard Busa front tire.

PM me if you have any questions!

Hey Neil

Did you ever compare the weight difference on the front end swap. Complete wheel and brakes

VMAX front end weight?
Hayabusa front end weight?

I am looking for a lighter front end. Maybe a Gixxer1000 hell I will even put a Gixxer600 front end on if I can get a good deal.

What is a good price for a decent complete front end? Meaning just bolt on.

Hey Neil

Did you ever compare the weight difference on the front end swap. Complete wheel and brakes

VMAX front end weight?
Hayabusa front end weight?

I am looking for a lighter front end. Maybe a Gixxer1000 hell I will even put a Gixxer600 front end on if I can get a good deal.

What is a good price for a decent complete front end? Meaning just bolt on.

Lankee...

With a Busa vs. Max front (old style) I'm about 7 lbs lighter even with 6 pots tok's and busa rotors.

When you start dealing with GSXR 1000's you will run into trouble with the top clamp.

Are you positive that it was a ZX-9 rear used before???

Tom at COO uses 89 FZR 1000 wheels for his conversion. Mine is pictured below before coating.

Neil
How can i contact COO i don't know who they are and i can't find any information , i'm trying to get a wheel done for my bike.

I have both 17" and 18" X 5-1/2" rear rims. Fronts can be made wider to match for radials at the width they're supposed to have to assume the correct posture on the rim. A too-narrow wheel will not allow the tire to "spread" as it's designed to do, though members on here run a narrow 110 X 18 front radial on the stock rim if they get a wider rear rim done.

This is a 17" X 5-1/2" weld-up. I also can get-made 18" X 5-1/2" rims, I have one of those on-hand now. The 17" is cheaper as it uses a used rim, while the 18" uses a new wheel with the VMax drive hub and rotor as a bolt-in. The 18" wheel/tire will come closest-to "filling" the rear fender, as it's probably an inch & a-half taller than the 17" wheel/tire, and is about 1/2" shorter in height than a stock 15 " 90-series aspect ratio stock wheel/tire.

PM me for more info. Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_02.JPG Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg

Last edited:
We are also offering the weld conversion wheels. We use the Vmax donor and new lips. We don't generally convert the sportbike wheels.

Back