gear whine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieve

Reaction score
When i gear down or just back off the throttle i get this whine from the engine . Any idea what i should be checking I dont want to pull the bike apart and find an easy fix later Thanks

Make absolutely sure its the engine. My tach just started whining a little upon deceleration about 2 months ago.

Could be as simple as the nut backed off inside the differential. It would not be the first one.

Kyle and quite a few of us went through this with my 94 at a tech day way back. We were attacking the Middle Gear. It turned out to be exactly what Kyle mentioned... a nut backed off on the drive shaft side of the differential. Problem's been gone since NaughtyG was nice enough to hook me up with a different diff... The nut's very hard to get tightend and hold the wheel, all at the same time..

Mine has always had a whine. Different oils and new wheel bearings didn't fix it.
I'm interested in this fix of Kyles. What do I need to do?

Mine has always had a whine. Different oils and new wheel bearings didn't fix it.
I'm interested in this fix of Kyles. What do I need to do?

You need to drop the rear wheel and unbolt the differential. It's a good idea to drain the diff oil first to avoid a mess.

Then unbolt the diff and take it off - most likely the driveshaft will come with it. Pull off the driveshaft and have a look where it came from - there's a big nut there. If it's loose that's the source of your whine (only heard when letting off the gas usually).

Tightening it isn't all that easy - it makes the diff spin. If you put the diff back on the wheel you can try having an assistant hold the diff still while tightening the nut up, but it still ain't easy!

OK. Mine does it under acceleration too, but it's still worth a look. :biglaugh:

Thanks Guys ill check that tomorrow. Makes sense I just dont want to pull something apart without good reason The guy at the stealership took my money and said theres no problem BUT my buddy can hear me gearing down when hes riding in front of me Ill let you guys know what i find

Back