Mark's exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
I received my 147.5 mains from Mr. Morley yesterday. Thanks Sean!
Here's my latest setup, all jets are Mikuni.

160 PAJ2 (great off idle throttle response)
K&N filter with "Y" off
147.5 main jets
Stock needles with white needle retainer, no shims

The bike runs incredible throughout the rev range, the top end is MUCH
better with smaller mains. Saying that it hauls ass is an
understatement. Low end is also excellent, I can give it full
throttle in 5th gear at 1500 rpms....just like I did with my
Supertrapps.

I'm going to try needles shims next and then try with the "Y" on.

Whats the deal with the "Y" on/off. I haven't had much time to scrounge around the net looking for tech tips lately (damn job gettin in the way) so this is something new to me. Mind filling me in?

you're welcome Mark. I don't think you are going to find a big improvement by shimming the needles and in fact you will possibly lose a bit of your mileage capability.

The "Y" section has been a topic of debate for years with many people on both sides of the fence.

Some say it makes better power with it off, some say better with it on, and some say better with it shimmed up trying to get the best of both worlds.

Every engine and every bike is different and will behave a bit differently. I personally think the "Y" off works well and we showed a 1HP gain on the dyno with it off.

But to each his own.

Sean Morley

Calimus, what exhaust are you running? Carb jetting? Doesn't hurt to try it.

Everything on the bike is stock. Wow, I almost feel ashamed to say that around these parts, lol.

Calimus said:
Everything on the bike is stock. Wow, I almost feel ashamed to say that around these parts, lol.

Mine too is stock and I love it that way and will keep it that way to get the most out of it with the least trouble.
I did the suspension , cooling, brakes & radials this is all what I felt needed to be done for my kind of usage, as for pipes and jetting , well maybe when the engine needs rebuild I'll give it another thought , but by that time a new max will get my money as long as it will have scoops:scooter0:
Its amazing how we use our bikes differently and what is a great mod for one person is not for someone else, but hey we all ride our max and are proud owners of this unique bike.

Last edited:
So Mark, are your pipes custom or stock? Seems like I have read about some specially made ones from a "Mark" on the Yahoo site. Is that you? I'd love to get some info (& pics) about those pipes...

Those are different. Can't figure out if I like them or not. Very sport's bike in their positioning.

Last edited:
Calimus, the positioning of the mufflers are exactly the same angle as stock or even my Supertrapps.

Really? The can's look like they sit a bit further back and a tad higher then stock. Could just be the angle of the pics though.

They sound the biz though.

I saw/heard the Mark's pipes on Don Smith's punched out Max. I thought my old Hindle 4-1 sounded good until I heard his setup. Incredible sound and really look good!

Can Mark gut the stock exhaust and build a muffler inside to retain the stock look of the muffler? I just don't like the cylindrical shape most after market have, to me they look home made , no offense to anyone.
Should I call Mark and ask him?

Last edited:
Ibrahim,Its a totall waste of money if you do not replace the stock headers with larger diameter headers.They need to breathe!

shawn kloker said:
Ibrahim,Its a totall waste of money if you do not replace the stock headers with larger diameter headers.They need to breathe!

Yes I know, if mark can use the outer shell of the stock muffler and make new headers with bigger pipes, That is what I am wishing for.
the cylindrical cans just look out of place with no sense of following the bike's lines and looks or any aesthetics, just a cylinder that makes noise that I don't care to hear.
Max is an elegant looking bike with all its lines in harmony.
Making a good pipe is just not enough it has to look better than stock and also give a noticeable gain in power for $900.

Last edited:
firefly said:
Yes I know, if mark can use the outer shell of the stock muffler and make new headers with bigger pipes, That is what I am wishing for.
the cylindrical cans just look out of place with no sense of following the bike's lines and looks or any aesthetics, just a cylinder that makes noise that I don't care to hear.
Max is an elegant looking bike with all its lines in harmony.
Making a good pipe is just not enough it has to look better than stock and also give a noticeable gain in power for $900.
Hi Ibrahim, it's me again raining on your parade, but not on purpose. I bought a set of mufflers from eBay and wanted to open up the insides to alter the sound coming out. The only thing is, they are welded so tight, have three chambers and pipes running from here to there. It would be impossible to alter them without destroying them in the process. If anything, find out if someone can duplicate the stock pipes from scratch. That would be the only way. Just some free advise from a buddy. Save your money for something worthwhile. New pipes won't give you any noticeable gain in power unless you wiped out your stock pipes and need a new exhaust. Seems I heard that from a guy living in the L.A. area. :th_smilie:

Mark will make whatever you want.I personally do not see what you people think is so good lookingh about the stock pipes.I love my HMF system and I also think it is the best modification that I ever made to my vmax.

shawn kloker said:
Mark will make whatever you want.I personally do not see what you people think is so good lookingh about the stock pipes.I love my HMF system and I also think it is the best modification that I ever made to my vmax.

They match the bike's design and lines

Last edited:
I saw that boxenstopp is selling stock headers that are 4mm larger than stock.Stainless too.Mark could probably make a stock looking set for less though that would be better quality.

Back