Lazy Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsburgian

Reaction score
Picked up a 1998 last year with 6k on it. Didn't get on it much last year, Took it to the dealer had an inspection, new rear tire, oil change done and one pull on their shop dyno for a base line. While this is my first max I have ridden many different bikes. Bottom line...my bike is waaay non-impressive...runs ok starts fine no noises or smoke...just seems lazy...I thought it would scare me abit especially after riding Harleys for awhile but...not the case. It has a dale walker exhaust and I'm told his stage one kit which per the testimonials on his website should be good for about 125 rwhp. I'm not even close...struggling to get 80 on its one pull. I don't feel any signicant pull at 6k rpm when the v-boost should kick in...are their common problems with the solonoids?..I do hear the sol. clicking when I turn the key on. any hints would be appreciated, I'm an auto tech but don't do a lot of my bike work. Thanks in advance...Mike

6k miles in 18 years and low power, I would say your carbs are not too healthy. Check ur fuel filter. Look for rust in the tank.

And your vboost definitely does not work- if it did you would know it.
Vboost would be especially noticeable 1st thru 3rd gears. I have been told that Vboost can get persnickety if the controller contacts are corroded but I'm like Doc...probably fuel system related. Folks will start chiming in this evening Mike so I would keep the forum open. Good luck!

The clicking you hear when you turn the key on is the fuel pump....the v boost makes a buzzzzz...buzzzzz.....buz sound as the servo motor cycles through.

A '98 with 6K miles is very little riding, good chance the carbs are in need of a good cleaning.

You came to the right place. A lot of guys on here with a lot of knowledge! Be patient, it might take a little while but these guys will help you figure it out. Like everyone is saying start with a carb rebuild/cleaning and get them sync'd. Would be shocked if it didn't help ALOT!
Good luck

Picked up a 1998 last year with 6k on it. Didn't get on it much last year, Took it to the dealer had an inspection, new rear tire, oil change done and one pull on their shop dyno for a base line. While this is my first max I have ridden many different bikes. Bottom line...my bike is waaay non-impressive...runs ok starts fine no noises or smoke...just seems lazy...I thought it would scare me abit especially after riding Harleys for awhile but...not the case. It has a dale walker exhaust and I'm told his stage one kit which per the testimonials on his website should be good for about 125 rwhp. I'm not even close...struggling to get 80 on its one pull. I don't feel any signicant pull at 6k rpm when the v-boost should kick in...are their common problems with the solonoids?..I do hear the sol. clicking when I turn the key on. any hints would be appreciated, I'm an auto tech but don't do a lot of my bike work. Thanks in advance...Mike

Is this a d tuned Japanese version without v-boost, maybe? If so it might explain the low HP.

Here is how your vboost works---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyfOyNksKKc

Last edited:
Going to take advice and start by pulling and cleaning the carbs. assume that will answer the japan spec question as well. Thanks to all for the replys !

Update, Rode it to work today, (12 miles) Changed the fuel filter and plugs, Found left rear cylinder (2 or 3?) plug clean as a whistle...has spark ..figuring that carb is gummed up. Added a bottle of Valvoline in tank fuel injector cleaner I had laying around and filled iot with fresh premium gas. Took off the vboost controller and put dielectric grease on the connectors...I now have operational vboost .rode it home with a little more choke than off to see if it might break anything loose in that carb. No luck yet but definitely an improvement in the 3 good cyls. in and out of the boost. gonna let it sit tomorrow and give it a spin tomorrow night if no luck I guess I will have to pull that carb...doesent look fun.

Update, Rode it to work today, (12 miles) Changed the fuel filter and plugs, Found left rear cylinder (2 or 3?) plug clean as a whistle...has spark ..figuring that carb is gummed up. Added a bottle of Valvoline in tank fuel injector cleaner I had laying around and filled iot with fresh premium gas. Took off the vboost controller and put dielectric grease on the connectors...I now have operational vboost .rode it home with a little more choke than off to see if it might break anything loose in that carb. No luck yet but definitely an improvement in the 3 good cyls. in and out of the boost. gonna let it sit tomorrow and give it a spin tomorrow night if no luck I guess I will have to pull that carb...doesent look fun.
Try 1/3 can of seafoam and only use 87 octane gas.

Why hasn't anyone suggested the shotgun cleaning method, before Pennsburg takes his carbs off???
The problem may be just in the A/F screws.

Mr.Blax, could you please post that link like you have done before? I can't locate it.
Cheers!

Left rear cylinder as you are sitting on the bike (by your knee) is #1 the farther one is #2 closest to the radiator. Turn the drain screw (phillips head) and see if there is gas in the bowl. You can catch it coming out of the black drainage hose between the #2 and #1 carbs. Tell us if there is gas---Try the shotgun first as you will not have to remove the carbs. If it does not work try the peashooter next. Are you able to turn your a/f mixture screws or is there a copper plug in place there. These are 2 techniques of cleaning the carbs without taking them off . http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Video of the peashooter is at the bottom.
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xItRzty9_hA

Saw the peashooter on youtube...was curious about the shotgun... will do these first and see what happens. Thanks for all the great tips !..One more question...why 87 octane gas ?...premium has much more detergents in it and I cant see the added octane hurting ??....Thanks again !

Back