Disconnect the fuel pump to run the carbs dry.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus36

Reaction score
I know I can drain the carb bowls manually. I'm looking to put in a fuel pump cut off switch or even a quarter-turn stainless shut off valve on the fuel line.
Had the carbs rebuilt in April 2023 by Dannymax, new fuel filter, tank is clean, fuel bowl draining is clean, but I've had to do the shotgun twice and clean the pilot jets in between those two shotgun cleanings. I had two blocked pilot jets and one partially blocked. Due to the new socket head cap screws on the carbs, I can pull the jet blocks without splitting the carbs apart by using a Chapman ratchet.

All this since spring of this year as the bike sits for extended periods. I've added Berryman's twice to the tank twice. Yes, I'll have to run the bike more often. Even draining the carbs, I'm not sure all the fuel would clear from that tiny orifice in the pilot jets. The bike has a full Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust with the mixture screws at 3.5 turns (my setting for best operation) . The idle jets are stock. The info from Danny is: My carbs have #160 air jets and #155 mains. (Factory Vmaxs have #170 air jets and #152.5 mains).

Which would be the better solution?
1. Install a switch to cut the fuel pump
2. Install Shut off valve in the fuel line
3. Pull a fuse that will shut off the fuel pump
4. Put a switch on the fuel pump relay
5. Open the the idle jets a bit and only set the mixture at 2-2.5 turns out
6. Go up to the next size idle jets

1703812485509.png
1703812347187.png

Attachments

• 1703812289107.png
    1703812289107.png
    256.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I know I can drain the carb bowls manually. I'm looking to put in a fuel pump cut off switch or even a quarter-turn stainless shut off valve on the fuel line.
Had the carbs rebuilt in April 2023 by Dannymax, new fuel filter, tank is clean, fuel bowl draining is clean, but I've had to do the shotgun twice and clean the pilot jets in between those two shotgun cleanings. I had two blocked pilot jets and one partially blocked. Due to the new socket head cap screws on the carbs, I can pull the jet blocks without splitting the carbs apart by using a Chapman ratchet.

All this since spring of this year as the bike sits for extended periods. I've added Berryman's twice to the tank twice. Yes, I'll have to run the bike more often. Even draining the carbs, I'm not sure all the fuel would clear from that tiny orifice in the pilot jets. The bike has a full Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust with the mixture screws at 3.5 turns (my setting for best operation) . The idle jets are stock. The info from Danny is: My carbs have #160 air jets and #155 mains. (Factory Vmaxs have #170 air jets and #152.5 mains).

Which would be the better solution?
1. Install a switch to cut the fuel pump
2. Install Shut off valve in the fuel line
3. Pull a fuse that will shut off the fuel pump
4. Put a switch on the fuel pump relay
5. Open the the idle jets a bit and only set the mixture at 2-2.5 turns out
6. Go up to the next size idle jets

View attachment 92372
View attachment 92371
I gave up on trying to dry store my max, just because it'll get nice out just long enough for me to want to start it.....I hear the bark, and just HAVE to ride it!
I ride to get up to temp then park it till the next warm couple hours LOL.
I do keep techron and stabill 360 in it and topped off full.
And I do make sure to start it at least once a week, ride or not.

Do you store your bike with Barrymans in the tank? Is it meant for storage?
The reason I ask is I have not known of a storage type additive other than stabil, though Im sure there are quite a few others out there.
You could just unplug your pump and idle the bike till it starves but there would still be that little bit of fuel left in the system, bowls etc.

It seems like you would either have to run the bike periodically or completely drain the whole fuel system to "manage" the gremlins.
LOL! The Max can be work even when your not riding it!

Gent

"...Do you store your bike with Barrymans in the tank? Is it meant for storage?
The reason I ask is I have not known of a storage type additive other than stabil, though Im sure there are quite a few others out there.
You could just unplug your pump and idle the bike till it starves but there would still be that little bit of fuel left in the system, bowls etc.

It seems like you would either have to run the bike periodically or completely drain the whole fuel system to "manage" the gremlins..."
That was my question. How do I unplug the fuel pump?

I don't store the bike as I'm in Southern California, but I have three other bikes (including a VMAX 1700) that I ride as well so the MiniMax gets a quarter of the use compared to past years. I've only used Berryman B-12 Chemtool twice to clean out the jets even though they were just cleaned in April and then again by me last month. Berrymans is a cleaner, not designed for storage. If I were to a store it, then I would use Stabil in the tank after starving or draining the carbs. Guess I'll run it weekly to keep things moving for now. May look into new fuel lines just to eliminate another variable.
Here is the advertisement on Berryman:
  • Helps Keep Injectors Or Carb(S) And Intake Ports And Valves Clean
  • Quickly Disperses Moisture And Dissolves Gum, Varnish, And Other Fuel Residues
  • Disperses Moisture In Conventional Gasoline
  • Quickly disperses moisture and dissolves gum, varnish, and other fuel residues
  • Use on the entire fuel system, fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel injectors, valves, rings and pistons with H.E.S.T.

The VMax 1200 hates to sit unused. Many carbs that come through my shop have a pale green haze on the surfaces below the fuel level. I believe this substance settles out of the fuel with unuse. While it's easy enough to remove from the float chamber surfaces it will accumulate inside the pfj's and plug them completely.

I gave up on trying to dry store my max, just because it'll get nice out just long enough for me to want to start it.....I hear the bark, and just HAVE to ride it!

It seems like you would either have to run the bike periodically or completely drain the whole fuel system to "manage" the gremlins.

Gent
I use Marine Grade Stabil, the blue/green stuff in my generator which sits unused for months and sometimes a year or more with no carb issues whatsoever.
I keep the tank topped off.

Star Tron brand sells Star Brite, available at Ace Hardware, one I've used. It works well for me. Keeping the tank topped-off prevents rust from forming on the no gas area above the fuel level. Water vapor in the air condenses on the tank bare metal. The result is rust.

With these products, don't think, 'if a little (the suggested dosage) is good, a lot is better!' Use the amount the manufacturer recommends.

Yesterday I tried a modified Shotgun to see if it was possible to clear out the pilot jets without having to pull the jet blocks.. I only used compressed air, no carb cleaner. I pulled everything out per the Shotgun procedure, plus each PAJ1. I did this to get max air flow. The diagram shows Pilot air jet number 1 inline with the pilot jet. Compressed air into every orifice with the carb drains open, hoping to get an air stream through the pilot jet and out to atmosphere. Even shot air into the drain lines with the drain screws open. Whatever was in the pilot jets cleared out.

1703860418861.png

Hey I did read todays page. It gets down to zero in my not insulated or heated garage for weeks this time of year so this is what i do. I syphon the premium out and top off the tank with non ethanol 87 with startron (regular stabil will gell here). then warm up the engine and disconnect the pump electrical plug. When it stars to sputter I go to fuul choke and rev it to 3 k rpm until it stops. So far so good. HAPPY NEW YEAR:cool:

The Zeus36 and the wayne billings methods would seem to work well. Worth trying.

Gent
Today was the day! The max barks to life and oh what a joy it is to get a forehead freeze riding in the cold!
20231229_125621.jpg

THANKING YOU SO MUCH ZEUS36 FOR THE CARB CLEAN TRICK !!! ANYTHING THAT MAKES THE VMAX MAINTAINANCE EASIER IS MORE BETTER IN MY MYTHOLOGY 👍👍👍

I've used this Amazon.com on multiple gummed up carbs...mostly small engine yard maintenance tools....works on those after sitting for whole winters supremely....I'd imagine that used in our Max's periodically would do some good.

I've used this Amazon.com on multiple gummed up carbs...mostly small engine yard maintenance tools....works on those after sitting for whole winters supremely....I'd imagine that used in our Max's periodically would do some good.
That's the Berryman B-12 Chemtool that I used and mentioned in my original post.

1704645471165.png

Back