cobra exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase_dann

Reaction score
just wondering what is every one's thought on the cobra 4 into 4 slip on's..sound horse power are they good or are they junk??

Re: cobra exaust

In my opinion the cobra's sound the best for the least money. Ive seen sets go on ebay for 250$ or so in great shape. Ive heard that marks exhaust and ufo sound deeper but ive never heard them in person. I have the cobra's on my bike and i love them. You will see about a 10 horsepower loss but if your looking for great sound on a lower budget id go with the cobra's

My bike hasnt been rejetted so it runs a little rich, a lot of people dont rejet with the slipon systems. Cobra does make a jet kit if you wanted that. If you go that route i suggest you talk to mark (maleko89) on this forum as he's the carb genious and will be very helpful helping you understand jetting.

I made a video a while back of me horsing around on the bike, this will give you a pretty good idea of how they sound. In person they sound a little deeper than this but its hard to get a microphone to pick that up.

Click here -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHBeRMpkyVg

Edit: I forgot to mention one of my favorite things about the cobra's. When your crusing down the highway going normal speeds they arent obnoxiously loud at all, they dont hurt your ears or get annoying, but as soon as you open it up they start screaming. Ive never understood why unless its just something to do with the sound waves??

Last edited:

I was under the impression that you lost a few ponies with the Cobras. it is a good looking exhaust though.

Yeah you do lose a few ponies with the cobras but i wouldnt think it would be that noticable, and if your on a lower budget and want a good sound i think its the best choice. How many ponies do you usually GAIN with the full systems?

Last edited:

With Supertrapp, I actually lost one horsie. The stock exhaust is a very nice system....only problem is the weight of it. I think most full systems you gain anywhere from 5 - 10 horsepower.

Cool vid Clintard, next time cover/tape off your plate. I'm sure if that was here in Canada they could get ya on a charge....using the vid against you.
I like watching/hearing ya take off like that, just piss'es me off I have to wait till spring to ride. IMO, I'm not your dad - but, next time wear your gear will ya ! It looks more professional, and could save your ass.

Prettys ure his ass was covered, though it looked like his head wasn't:red ass:

Sorry, just in an antaganistic mood today.

Yea, you gotta watch the plate when doing the "fun" stuff. Lots of enforcement agencies are playing that game now.

hmmm.... is there any way i can edit the video to blur the plate, stupid me i never thought of that!

The only way I know, is that you would have to pull it into an editor and then blure the image, frame by frame.

You might be there a while. I don't really think you have anythign to worry about. If your clip was getting 10's of thousands of views, might be an issue.

Could always pull the vid and do another one lol.

Don't see any road signs know so for all the cops know that could be a private road on a farm.

Yeah you do lose a few ponies with the cobras but i wouldnt think it would be that noticable, and if your on a lower budget and want a good sound i think its the best choice. How many ponies do you usually GAIN with the full systems?
Lose hp with the Cobras? Good grief! I'm not one to sacrifice power for sound - plus I live in a condo complex where I try not to draw attention to myself. I just bought my buddy's Max and it has the Cobras. They sound tough and are in fine shape but are a bit loud for my taste. Hmmm, anyone want to trade a stock exhaust for Cobras?

what shape are the cobras in? I have the stock exhaust for my bike, its black and id say in 8/10 shape. Few minor scratches that wouldnt be seen. Those pipes are actually up in the raptors of the garage haha. That would be cool if i could get another set of cobra's, id like to have my aunt powder coat one of the sets black at work for me and see how it would look, im not big into chrome, and that way i could always take the black set off and go back to chrome

There is a set for sale in Marshfield Mass. They are a great deal at $50.00.

Here's the listing:

Yamaha V Max stock exhaust - $50
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-03-15, 3:24PM EDT

Perfect condition, removed from bike shortly after purchased new.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 294552092

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first Max a little over a week ago. It came with Cobra Slash pipes on it already. There have been those that have made mention of a bit of HP loss and I'm wondering what should be done (if anything) to recup that loss.

Thank you for any time you give this request.

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first Max a little over a week ago. It came with Cobra Slash pipes on it already. There have been those that have made mention of a bit of HP loss and I'm wondering what should be done (if anything) to recup that loss.

Thank you for any time you give this request.

Cobra's are fine for average joe. They are restrictive letting less exhuast gas escape so really any mods you do to the intake side wouldnt help because your exhaust is choked up. The only thing i can think of to make up for the horsepower loss if your wanting to keep the cobras would be to make the bike weigh less. I have cobras on my bike and they look and sound awsome but cause it to run rich and run like shit.

I see marks pipes in my future.

Full exhaust kits are the way to go if your looking for power

Copy that Clint and thank you.

So simply punching out the baffles probably isn't a realistic option to free up the flow then?

So simply punching out the baffles probably isn't a realistic option to free up the flow then?

Honestly i dont know, thats something ive been meaning to look into, but id probably get in way too much trouble with it that loud. You would think it would help it breathe right but if you do that you wouldnt have any back pressure and im unsure on the consequences of that. My interest is sparked, bumpidy bump for knowledgable replies!

Honestly i dont know, thats something ive been meaning to look into, but id probably get in way too much trouble with it that loud. You would think it would help it breathe right but if you do that you wouldnt have any back pressure and im unsure on the consequences of that. My interest is sparked, bumpidy bump for knowledgable replies!

While the Cobra's themselves are restrictive the header pipes are too. They are teenie tiny... The front ones look big but are tiny. They are double piped to keep the bluing off the chrome.

Your best bet is to replace the whole shabang with a good full system...:thumbs up:

Back