Lockup Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
Anybody looking to put a lockup clutch on their Vmax? Here's a nice light clutch hat that works. Maybe someone on the board would like to make their own. You can also just purchase a KZ Kawasaki clutch hat assembly (less the cover spacer) from MRE and modify the mounting bolt circle to the (80mm) It just requires elongating the holes to the smaller BC (the Vmax is slightly smaller) If you decide to machine your own hat you can also purchase the individual parts from them.

You will need a cover spacer to accomodate the taller clutch assembly. Maybe someone on the board would like to make some and sell them to people who want to do the mod. Here's the drawing for the hat. There are also some spacers required and a mod to the stock clutch hat that will be required... More on that and clutch setup later :Wink2:

VMX Lockup.jpg

picture.php

Very nice Gary. I need to get off my butt and start making the spacer. We have wanted to do that for some time. The spacer we needed for the lockup on the drag Fazer was over almost an inch and a half. Looks like maybe an inch for this one? Maybe not even that much?
Sean

This "spacer" is basically going to be an outline of the clutch cover correct? I think the most cost effective way to cut these out will be a Water Jet, but then you will have a slightly angled cut....

Here is another possible option that may work as well, and I would be willing to send this cover off to someone to replicate or I can make a CAD model/drawing as well.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5453&d=1228073066

This will probably require considerable more machining, but will also eliminate a gasketed surface.

Jeff

Jeff,

Here's a drawing of the clutch cover with the hole dimensions you would need for water jet cutting a spacer.

VMAX CLUTCH COVER 2.jpg

I have the rest of the drawing for a completely cast lockup cover, actually had the castings and machine work quoted at one time. There really isn't a market worth the effort and initial money investment to get them made. So the add on to the original is cover is probably the best route.

The cover I have on the bike (shown) was made by machining a thick wall ring. The original cover was cut down to a shorter height and a female fit dia. was machined into it. The new ring (with the stepped bore and bolt circle) had a male fit that allowed it to be slightly pressed into the original cover. It was then welded all the way around. I think it's the cleanest way to do it. You can buy thick wall aluminum round tubing so there isn't a whole lot of rough machining to do.

I bet if we get one cover made I can get them cast pretty cheap (well under $100 - maybe even more like $50). But it will be a raw casting that will probably need surfaced and all the holes drilled and any cover openings machined out. Basically we would get a one piece cover with no openings.

So the first one would take the real modification work then after that the rest would need simpler machine work.

Sean

I bet if we get one cover made I can get them cast pretty cheap (well under $100 - maybe even more like $50). But it will be a raw casting that will probably need surfaced and all the holes drilled and any cover openings machined out. Basically we would get a one piece cover with no openings.

So the first one would take the real modification work then after that the rest would need simpler machine work.

Sean

Sean,

I had everything priced up at one point a while back. The pattern work is where the cost comes in to play. By the time you get the first batch ready to go, you'll be out about 2 or 3K. It would take forever to recoup the initial investment. There just isn't enough interest to make it worthwhile.

Making the piece I mentioned and welding it in would be the most cost effective way of doing it for individual pieces, or having a spacer made. It's really something I don't want to get into, I'll help though... if someone wants to make and sell them.

I'll post up the stock pressure plate mod, spacers, and setup info on the lock up... if someones interested.

It says on the page that the spacer would be at the customers responability. It is pretty trick though. I just wonder why Barnett picked purple for the vmax color.

It says on the page that the spacer would be at the customers responability. It is pretty trick though. I just wonder why Barnett picked purple for the vmax color.

You mean like this:

Attachments

• SS851164.jpg
    SS851164.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 59
Yep whos bike is that? That would be so nice to have that baby spinning around and be able to see it. Is that just a bolt and a nut for the weight.

Yep whos bike is that? That would be so nice to have that baby spinning around and be able to see it. Is that just a bolt and a nut for the weight.

Yes, those nuts and bolts are for the weight. The setup on that bike by the way... has too much weight on it for the drag strip.

Yes, those nuts and bolts are for the weight. The setup on that bike by the way... has too much weight on it for the drag strip.

Even with a Supercharger? And 240-250 HP?

Attachments

• SS851166.jpg
    SS851166.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 31
  • SS851125.jpg
    SS851125.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back