Lockup Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I knew Pauls bike (the guy who had the bike built) was only making 196rwhp and 130+ lbs of torque. He was going to do an alcohol/water injection to bring the boost higher but not sure if he ever did get it done.

He just needs some shorter bolts.

Sean

Last I knew Pauls bike (the guy who had the bike built) was only making 196rwhp and 130+ lbs of torque. He was going to do an alcohol/water injection to bring the boost higher but not sure if he ever did get it done.

He just needs some shorter bolts.

Sean

Well that was before the new cams were put in it and it only made 196 hp at 15lbs of boost. Soooo with the new cams and the 22 lb pulley thats on it now it should make....?

I guess we will have to wait until the spring when I can dyno it.

Well, let's say the blower is 35% efficient (common for a roots blower). External air pressure is approx 14lbs (or one bar as it is also called). Meaning for every 14lbs of boost your engine is taking in double the amount of airflow. So your gain of 7lbs (1/2 bar) in boost is about a 50% increase in potential airflow/power. With 100% efficiency it would have gained almost 100 hp with it starting at 200 hp. BUT, with the true efficiency it likely gained 35 (35%) so around 230rwhp (typically you get more percentage of gain on the torque side).

When you get it dynoed lets see how well that estimate turns out.

Sean

Well, let's say the blower is 35% efficient (common for a roots blower). External air pressure is approx 14lbs (or one bar as it is also called). Meaning for every 14lbs of boost your engine is taking in double the amount of airflow. So your gain of 7lbs (1/2 bar) in boost is about a 50% increase in potential airflow/power. With 100% efficiency it would have gained almost 100 hp with it starting at 200 hp. BUT, with the true efficiency it likely gained 35 (35%) so around 230rwhp (typically you get more percentage of gain on the torque side).

When you get it dynoed lets see how well that estimate turns out.

Sean

230 HP sounds good to me. What do you think ther torque will be?

This thing is beast at only 10 lbs of boost I can't imagine what its going to be like at twice that?

Realistically probably somewhere in the 150's but maybe higher. Boost is great for making torque.

Sean

You started at 630 or so. Dropped to 600 with the exhaust. Gained some with the front end. Lost some with the rear. It might be under 600 I suppose since you did get rid of the heavy rear diff and wheel. The tire weighs more. Corbin is heavier. Maybe 580??

Sean

Sean,

I'll post up the stock pressure plate mod, spacers, and setup info on the lock up... if someones interested.

HE! HE! HE! HE! .............:clapping:

Let her rip man! I'm all ears!

One more necessity taken care of. Honestly you guys should start charging for your expertise, it would have taken me hours and hours irritating the crap out of the local wrecker bloke taking things apart to find this stuff, and since I have to keep him friendly with beer already that's not an option!

Am I right in suggesting light springs off a little 250-something, medium weight bolts/nuts, and a spacer about .625" thick?

I am SO MUCH looking forward to the Western Nationals this year. No more fighting with mid-10 short wheelbase/short swingarm Ducati's with no fairings any more. I even had to change my helmet for the aerodynamics at 135 so it didn't tear my head off!

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ducati-Monster-Timeslip-10329.html

That was a NASTY ride. My broken left hand still hurts......:biglaugh:

Bump for wildweasel_pt

Is this the info your looking for?

Jeff,

Here's a drawing of the clutch cover with the hole dimensions you would need for water jet cutting a spacer.

VMAX CLUTCH COVER 2.jpg

Gary
Do you have that in CAD? I got a MTC lockup and been chatting with Sean regarding exactly this spacer. I initially planned on just getting a ring to bring the clearcover further out (i still don't know if my frame will allow to get the spacer in eventhough i moved the engine 10mm to the left due some clearance on the new swingarm). Thanks

Hi Fred, Yes Sean emailed me. It's been 11 years since I did this drawing, I had the original CAD file but don't know where it is now. The intent was to have a new cover made to replace the stock one... having the proper clearance for the lock up. There wasn't enough interest to pursue having the casting made.

Yes you will have problems with a spacer if you keep the pegs etc... in the stock location. I ended by making a ring as you mentioned... cutting the face of the stock cover right off and welded the new ring to the cover. Then machined a new clear cover and just made a gasket for it. The way I did it allowed you to remove the clutch fibers and steels without having to take the complete cover off... just the clear cover. It was quite a bit of work to do. Later on I just made some new pegs and mounts to a lower the position and then a simple spacer would of worked. Maybe you can make it simpler... don't know the height of the MTC. Nothings ever easy with this bike.

Here's a pic

lockup_cover.jpg

Hi Gary. My frame is not stock. I have an alloy one-off frame that makes me pay more attention to details that the stock max doesn't need to, i need to remove the lower right cradle to access the clutch. I will need to bring the footpegs aft due to increase in width on the clutch cover. Either way with the 2D drawing is the same as having the cover and a caliper. Its gonna take big time to import those dimensions to CAD due the complex curves. Its doable though but if i can skip that part even better... I can do the waterjet on that spacer for what i think may be a cheap option even if im not going that way and instead making the spacer on the clearcover (again the lower right cradle). By the way if a spacer for the oil sunp is also required i can take care of that as well eventhough i don't need it for now at least...

img2809rw.jpg

Did you go through all the pages?... LOL. I can't take any pics now because my bikes are scattered allover my garage floor and some parts are around the world still... LOL

I looked through most of them - remember the early ones from your first postings. No worries, I just wondered how they looked these days!

They're gonna be pretty different this year. I just need to find the time to do all i want...

Latest posts

Back