Shopping List Needed for Starter Clutch Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I haven't been on this forum for a long time. I live in Hungary, but will be returning soon to the U.S. and reunited with my beloved '85 V-Max. a friend has been taking care of it for me. The starter clutch was grinding and missing pretty bad when I left, and my friend says it has become worse. I'm only going to be with my bike for 1 week before returning to Hungary, and have plenty of other things I would rather do than a starter clutch. I need a list of some items that I need to get the job done right the first time! I've already looked at nearly all the posts on this subject.

I have already ordered:

- Starter clutch assembly
- Both cover gaskets
- Flywheel* plus the smaller gears
*EDIT - I didn't get the flywheel. I meant the large gear on the flywheel.

I have access to limited tools and an air compressor.

I still need:

- Puller (I've got the Yamaha part numbers, but any other suggestions?)
- Those 3 bolts that tend to fail

What size metric tap(s) should I bring (most of my tools are here in Hungary) to chase the threads?

Again, I've got a very small window of opportunity to get this done quickly and right the first time! THANK YOU in advance!!! I'm getting SUPER excited to ride my Max again!!! Don't tell her I've been riding an FJ1200 here.

Last edited:
Hey man if it were me and I had limited time, here is what I would do:

have these (used if much cheaper) ready:

starter clutch plate
3x roller/cap/spring
3x bolts
the gear that goes into the clutch hub

you really shouldn't need a new flywheel, i don't think its common for those to fail at all.

i can also send you (if you don't mind paying for shipping b/c its a heavy som-bitch) my 8-ton gear puller i'd have one of those handy too just incase the jaw puller doesn't work, altho you can probalby rent one at autozone as well (the gear puller) but make sure you get one with the longer arms, as the short stubby arms aren't deep enough

you shouldn't need any taps but i'm 99% sure the bolts in the flywheel (both for puller and holding the clutch on) are 8x1.25

No, flywheel is something like 700$ new :surprise:
They hardly go bad.

Somethimes its just enough to replace the rollers and pins with springs, somethimes you need to replace the big ring rear, and somethimes you must replace the outer race/crown.
Kinda depends...

have these (used if much cheaper) ready:

starter clutch plate
3x roller/cap/spring
3x bolts
the gear that goes into the clutch hub

I got all these - sent to my buddy's house.
Today I ordered those 3 small bolts from Yamaha.

And sorry, guys - I didn't get a flywheel. I meant the gear on the flywheel.

don't forget the little copper washer/gasket that goes on the bottom/middle bolt for the middle gear cover...that is if you plan on reusing it--however, the service manual advises that you change it out.

I've got pretty much everything listed in the previous replies. I just got those 3 small bolts from the Yamaha dealer here in Hungary.

I had some issues with tracking down the Yamaha puller and adapter. I had the Yamaha part numbers, but found out it's a locally manufactured part and would cost me about $300. Forget that! AutoZone it is!

I understand gamorg02 mentioned the puller with the short arms aren't deep enough - what does that mean?

I land in the U.S. after a 14-hour flight on a Friday in June, and I'm hitting this thing on Saturday morning. I need everything to go right the first time. I've got no time to spare, and I'll be barely hanging on mentally.

you want one looking like the second pic, not the first.

Attachments

• herbrand_840_puller_3jaw_f_cropped.jpg
    herbrand_840_puller_3jaw_f_cropped.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 27011.jpg
    27011.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 18
Don't forget to have a hammer and a punch to ping the 3 bolts after you get them in..........

maybe a light duty torch to heat up the flywheel as well.

. I need everything to go right the first time. I've got no time to spare, and I'll be barely hanging on mentally.

When your tired, mentally exhausted, and in a hurry, you need to stay away from your bike! This is when you make mistakes, forget about something, or break something. Been there way too many times to count. You need a clear head and not worry about how long it takes. You gotta make sure its right, whatever it takes. Sorry but I had to say it!

you want one looking like the second pic, not the first.

O.K., I'm missing something here. Those pics don't look anything like what I expected. You mentioned 8X1.25 bolts, but your pictures are of jaw-type pullers. Where would the jaws grab? I assume you were talking about 2 separate types of pullers.
I was watching this video as a guide:
http://youtu.be/ePW96hG2Ojw

yes sir. try the first kind, but if the bolts aren't good enough it will just stretch!

BIG PROBLEMS.
O.K. - I'm back in the U.S. and started on my starter clutch replacement at 9:00 this morning. In a matter of minutes, I had everything apart and connected the puller. I fought with it with an air wrench for the next 4 hours, then I got a jaw-type puller. The jaws kept slipping off, so I tried again with the original puller. The air wrench is cranked up to 130 PSI. It won't turn any further. I've hit the center bolt with a hammer, just like the video, but NOTHING. Then one of the puller bolts broke. It's Saturday, so the specialty bolt shops were all closed. I spent another 4 hours travelling around going to auto parts and building stores... nothing. This SUCKS. I'm only here until Thursday, and I got a lot of other things to do. Even if I find another bolt, I don't think it's going to pull any more. I'm extremely frustrated.

Any ideas?

It MUST be grade 8 or harder to work easily. You can heat up the flywheel if needed too.

Sean

BIG PROBLEMS.
O.K. - I'm back in the U.S. and started on my starter clutch replacement at 9:00 this morning. In a matter of minutes, I had everything apart and connected the puller. I fought with it with an air wrench for the next 4 hours, then I got a jaw-type puller. The jaws kept slipping off, so I tried again with the original puller. The air wrench is cranked up to 130 PSI. It won't turn any further. I've hit the center bolt with a hammer, just like the video, but NOTHING. Then one of the puller bolts broke. It's Saturday, so the specialty bolt shops were all closed. I spent another 4 hours travelling around going to auto parts and building stores... nothing. This SUCKS. I'm only here until Thursday, and I got a lot of other things to do. Even if I find another bolt, I don't think it's going to pull any more. I'm extremely frustrated.

Any ideas?

as sean said heat up the puller.

i don't see how the jaw type is slipping, u got a pic of the type you used. they should be made so the tighter than grip, the more they pull and don't slip, is it too big? or too small for the wheel?

mine is a bit too big and may leave a couple superficial marks on the back of your wheel, but would have no problem overnighting you the thing if you pick up shipping. it wouldn't be cheap tho i bet it weighs 10 lbs.

i don't see how the jaw type is slipping, u got a pic of the type you used. they should be made so the tighter than grip, the more they pull and don't slip, is it too big? or too small for the wheel?

Well, the jaw type came with a small side and a large side on the 3 arms. I tried to pull from the inside, but it kept slipping off (both the small and big arms). I can't catch it on the outside because of the shape of it. Below is a picture of the kind of jaw-type puller I used. I'm going to hit it tomorrow with the standard puller again after replacing the pulling bolts.

MSTPA5.jpg

Well, the jaw type came with a small side and a large side on the 3 arms. I tried to pull from the inside, but it kept slipping off (both the small and big arms). I can't catch it on the outside because of the shape of it. Below is a picture of the kind of jaw-type puller I used. I'm going to hit it tomorrow with the standard puller again after replacing the pulling bolts.

MSTPA5.jpg

You need a bigger 3-jawer to handle the v-max flywheel - not so far you have to my place so come by and you can take mine :rofl_200:

i agree with prez, you can't use the inside jaws, gotta use the outside, thats why i recommended you make sure you get a big enough one..

if you're going back at it with the crows foot puller, i'd goto a local fastenal (or ace h/w) and get some high end bolts, as the ones that typically come with those i've found, are not.

if you're going back at it with the crows foot puller, i'd goto a local fastenal (or ace h/w) and get some high end bolts, as the ones that typically come with those i've found, are not.

Yup, that's where I'm heading now. Tacoma Screw and Bolt here I come...

I do have to say I sure do miss this bike. My heart started racing a little when we were reunited on Saturday. Is that normal? :in love:

It's ALIVE!!!
Job is complete. I added heat (thank you for the advice) and some grade-8 bolts. I cranked down on it again, and BANG! Everything came out with a large explosion. It's funny because the Haynes manual shows a picture of a strap wrench on the start clutch assembly, and a box-end wrench on the center bolt on the puller. HA HA, yeah right...

I got the starter clutch replaced, but the old one was in good shape. No cracks or missing pieces. Strange. Everything is back together and I'll be riding it tomorrow.

2 of my 5 vacation days were now spent on this thing. :damn angry:

Back