03 Honda VFR800?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Hey fellas long time no talk! I have a question . I came across a 03 VFR800 that's not listed forsale but is forsale. So another words I didn't find it on Craig's list or anything. It has 12k miles. Fell over 2x in the guys drive way. So the tank has a dent (no hole) and the failings are scratched up. He told me 1k I can have it. He said it happened a few times at cruising speed when getting on a highway and just shifting but he said he would pull the clutch in and it would die. He gave up with it almost 3 yrs ago now after it tipped over in the drive way for a second time. He had another bike and figured he would fix it up at a later date but hasn't had the chance. I looked up there was a recall on wire harness that led to complete loss of power but honda recall sight said the VIN had none. So ill call dealer just to make sure.

But all together. I'm looking at something more comfortable to ride to work instead of the 94 FZR1000 I thought I missed my first bike, I did but my ass and back didn't lol. I figured I bought the FZR back for 700 I could get atleast 1500 for it and buy this 03 VFR 800 and be more comfortable. Anyone know a thing or two about these? I know my FZR is a runner but the fuel injection of a vfr kind of turns me on and the looks lol. I just dont want to make a mistake and get into a bike with alot of known problems...

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The single-sided swingarm VFR's have a cult following just like Mr. Max. Not as-powerful a bike but roots in the racing-homologation special RC-30 750 Honda V-4. I dunno if that has the gear-driven OHC's but they are supposed to be a very solid bike. It does have VTEC similar to the Honda S2000 sports car: http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_vfr800_v abs 03.htm

I say, buy it.

I had an older I think it was a 94. Fun bike for daily riding. Had a little zip to it. The newer 800 would probably be almost as fast if not as fast as thr Vmax and alot more confortable to ride. Not t mention you can pass gas stations without stopping every 90 miles!

Todd

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking lol. I look at my max as a classic car now after all the work I put into it. First year I had it I put 8k on it and was like dam if I keep doing this it won't be long before something breaks in the engine lol. I got 100 miles round trip to work so if I had a nice 2 week stretch of nice weather that's easily 1500+ miles with riding to work and joy riding with fiance. So that's why I bought my old FZR back. I love the FZR but feel ill be more comfortable on the vfr for what I use it for.. also I can't go to and from work without filling up the vmax lol

Yea well the big thing is that I will shave FZR till weather starts to break I could get top dollar for it or I could fix this one up and triple my money :D I'm going to look at it tomorrow. The fzr isn't horrible for comfort but after owning a 01 bandit 1200 I would much rather have a sports touring the vmax will satisfy my power needs as a sports touring will satisfy my commuting needs, fuel mileage, and be able to still corner... maybe ill sell it and get a goldwing me and the fiance can just cruise one. I donno tho she loves the sounds and power of Mr max tho!

There was a guy where I use to work that had the VFR800, daily rider rain or shine for something like 10-12 years.
Must have been a very solid bike.

Hey guys look at the mileage.... I struck gold!!! Picking her up saturday

uploadfromtaptalk1392167197578.jpg

Nice Matt. Maybe it will be a little warmer on Sat to pick it up. I drove past your dads house on sunday. Is your house close to him?

Yes its down broadway towards 77 the road where there's the old Timberwolf restaurant and a bunch of trailers forsale

Well I picked her up saturday. To my surprise after not running for almost 2 years there was no jelly or anything at the bottom of gas tank he said he put stabilizer in it. I put my FZR1000 battery in her and she started right up and ran like she was just running yesterday couldnt believe it!!!! I can't wait till the snow is gone!!

uploadfromtaptalk1392672111902.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392672136867.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392672157683.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392672177398.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392672194836.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkreW4HXadw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392672062143.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392672062143.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392672085835.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392672085835.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 21
Yes recalls were already done. Im going to look into the kickstand/clutch switches

Looks like it might end up being a fairly easy restoration project for you. Glad you got a nice find!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good one Matt
I always liked that bike. When i bought my first vmax i had a riding friend that bought one just like that one, same color and all. Really liked to ride it... It was something new the underseat mufflers that came out on the VFR first and then on the 2004 R1

Thanks!!! Im pritty excited about it. Can't wait to get it painted. And hopefully afford an exhaust

Back