1500 carb setup

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967vmax

Reaction score
Ok looks like im going to take the plunge into a 1500 mtr, now how to feed the Beast, Do i stick with my Morley Kit or go with the flatsides, (With Uni Filters) $$ to hp and torque are the flats going to make that much of a difference? JIM:bang head:HOW TO DECIDE!!

On a street machine the cv's will be more practical.
If you go with the flatslides it's best to forget the filters.

I'd talk to Sean and see what he says. He was running F/S's on his 1500 motor.

Chris

They both work well. The flats will give a little more power but less economy and warm starting.

Sean

How about my Mad Max Turbo Setup????? You only have one carb, it comes with the exhaust, and chrome scoops.... 200+ HP????:punk:

Sorry Rick EFI is nice but ,I heard that carbs atomize the fuel better. Talked to Sean and since he is building the Beast its just as well i keep the Morley kit + she looks stock +MPG. I think if i could get a good quality filter setup id go flatsides. So thanks for everone input JIM

Any foam filter will catch on fire....Unis are no better or worse. Foam is flammable, particularly if it's getting soaked in fuel mist from frequent spitbacks.

I had the OEM foam filter catch on fire in my Suzuki quad when I first got it. The carb was all crapped up and the motor ran like a bag of poo, frequently spitting back. One particularly big poof and the old greasy filter went up like a candle. It was of the foam-rubber variety. Fortunately I already had the seat off and airbox open so it was no big deal. Learned my lesson there.

I can sell you a variety of sudco filter adapters though the 021-212 set is about the right size. Uses a 62mm ID filter available thought K&N. They run $40 each adapter retail though I may be able to cut that price down some.

Sean

I can sell you a variety of sudco filter adapters though the 021-212 set is about the right size. Uses a 62mm ID filter available thought K&N. They run $40 each adapter retail though I may be able to cut that price down some.

Sean

So the sudco adapters and K&N filters would insure no surprise camp fires?

Is it the screen in the K&N which prevents fire from getting to the element?

Thanks

The fire is generated by the filter becoming saturated by the fuel that mists over the tops of the carbs. I think it could still catch fire with the K&N's if they get saturated enough. The foam of the uni's is where a larger problem lies since they burn up more readily. I think the material the K&N is made from seems to be more fire resistant.

Sean

How about if you take the foam filters off occasionally and clean them well? Maybe for the price diff even buy new ones every year? I have read of the fuel mist from the VGAS, but my very limited experience with and exposure to the PCW carbs showed very little of that. About the only time I have seen back fire is first start of season, weeks sitting without starting, or throttle pumping. I too am interested in a K&N that will fit. Making an adapter never seemed the problem, but the fit in the bike frame. The Uni filters kinda distort the rubber boot to maake the fit. Even the filterless velocity are notched to fit. You have me interested Sean.

rick rash

I had pics or notes somewhere from Don "old man" Smith where he got a set of adapters to fit the filters better.

Sean

so sre you saying there is room to fit K&N filters on the sudco filter adapters under the frame. it looks to me there isnt enough room to fit kns on flatslides???

I think it requires some custom modification to fit but can't remember.

Sean

Back