17" front 18" back? or 18 front 18 back??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Im sorry guys i looked for over an hour read quit a few threads but its making my head bobble, im not understanding them. I just purchased an 1985 with PCW chain conversion but it has a MADMAX rear end. It has a kosman 18 in rear tire and stock front tire. I want to go to radials and update brake in the front along with springs and emulators. I have read i can fit a yzf600r front tire with little modification will the 17" front and 18" in rear be a bad thing? im trying to do it as cheap as possible seeing how i just dropped the money on the bike but I deffinetly need to update the front end. What should I do? if i should really buy post 93 forks its gonna take a little longer bc that would be an extra 300.. Can i keep my stock 40mm forks and just update the rest?? thank you

With an 18" rear I'd go with an 18" front. It does limit tire choices a bit compared to 17", but not that much.

I've seen people who've modified their front wheel to accept a radial, not sure how cheap that is but it means you keep all the inside of the wheel (and the low '85 weight) - just get the new tire bed welded on.

It has a kosman 18 in rear tire and stock front tire.
The cheapest way is for you to get 18in radial tires. You already have an 18in rear wheel and you can fit a radial on a stock 18in front rim. It will be a bit shorter than stock tire height but it will fit. Don't remember the radial tire size off the top of my head but I'm sure somebody else knows.

No the calipers do not bolt up but need a bracket. Don't waste time and effort making changes you'll end up wanting to change again. Wait til you change to forks to 93 and newer and R1 calipers will be a bolt on

The cheapest way is for you to get 18in radial tires. You already have an 18in rear wheel and you can fit a radial on a stock 18in front rim. It will be a bit shorter than stock tire height but it will fit. Don't remember the radial tire size off the top of my head but I'm sure somebody else knows.
+1 Your rear tire is a radial, just buy a matching set of tires. Your choices are
Avon Storm 2- 110/80/18 front Avon Cobra 180/55/18 rear(my favorite)
Metezler 880 radial same sizes
Bridgestone Exedra same sizes
Dunlop OEM you will have to mix and match styles a little here.
Shinco not sure?
I am assuming you have 5.5" wide rear rim. The Avons and Metezlers will cost aroung $350 for the set and the Bridgestones run about $250 a set.

No the calipers do not bolt up but need a bracket. Don't waste time and effort making changes you'll end up wanting to change again. Wait til you change to forks to 93 and newer and R1 calipers will be a bolt on

I actually ment will rotors bolt up to rim lol my bad

Also my rear is not the stock size its a 170/60r18
I am not sure how to reply. Your kosman rear wheel is already modified to run radial tires and you have a radial tire on it now in a 170/60/18 size. This is why you do not have a stock size rear tire. This is a good thing. Just go back to my previous post and buy a new set of tires or if your back tire is still good, just buy a new radial front tire from the same manufacture.

I have 18s all the way around and like how they fill in the fenders more. Did you just get the max if so did you buy it here in Pa a friend had his on craigslist

I have 18s all the way around and like how they fill in the fenders more. Did you just get the max if so did you buy it here in Pa a friend had his on craigslist

Yes that's the one I bought. :clapping: i have it torn apart already getting a bunch of aluminum polished and cleaning out gas tank and lining it bc the filter was full of rust and crud.... back to the wheel lol so as long as I get a tire that will equal the same size tire as rear im good I asume.. I just don't want to change the complete diameter of wheel because it will change the center of gravity. And hey I see you own a xl600r so do I! Fun but heavy and a BEAR to start!!!!

Lol i went to school with Keith he didnt ride it much i didnt know he was selling it till i seen it on craigslist and i put it on here for him, the xl is a beast and i think i may sale mine ,i just got a roadliner and want some mods for it. As for the wheels if i had to do it all over again i like my RCs but wish the ones Morley sales now were out then. Pcw runs gsxr wheels on his chain drive bikes.

Lol i went to school with Keith he didnt ride it much i didnt know he was selling it till i seen it on craigslist and i put it on here for him, the xl is a beast and i think i may sale mine ,i just got a roadliner and want some mods for it. As for the wheels if i had to do it all over again i like my RCs but wish the ones Morley sales now were out then. Pcw runs gsxr wheels on his chain drive bikes.

Yea my xl is going up for sale I rebuilt top end and put aftermarket fenders on front and back with LED tail light... painted it all black except frame.. yea my rear is from mad max .. next year I hope to get jons swing arm I was on the phone with him for like 1/2 before I bought the bike from keith and then after I bought it to john at pcw is a good guy! Awesome customer service!!

i've had great luck with shinko verge (don't run the 120 front on a stock rim). i'm doing advance next tho, to get a 130 on my front cazz.

i've had great luck with shinko verge (don't run the 120 front on a stock rim). i'm doing advance next tho, to get a 130 on my front cazz.

what kind of mileage did you get out of your shinko?
I only got 4,000 out of my verge last year and it was toast.
And that's only with a couple small rolling burnouts :biglaugh:

about the same bill. but i don't care. they're cheap and wicked sticky. now that i mount my own tires its even better. i'd rather pay a little more and stick the the road (second gear power wheelies on wet roads) then have a tire go 20% longer.

Back