170/60 that look like a 150 tire ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uri gal

Reaction score
Ther is something very strange</SPAN> haapnd after I changed the my rear tire

I changed my avon 160/70 17" to a pirelli 170/60 17" ? (a wider tire)

After we finished the installion ? I saw thet i have more room now between the swingarm to the tire - comparing then the old tire (???!)

after I go to take a look from biaind the bike ? I saw that the tire looks Narrow compare to tha avon 160/70??.actually the tire now looks like the original 150/90 tire?.

I Measured the tire and the result is about 155mm (wide) ? how it possibal?? I bought a 170 tire !!

I also Measure my old tire (160/70) and the wildness of the tire was 160 ? so my Measure is o.k

I wort an email to pirelli but got no respose

the pirelli is diablo rosoo 2 - 170/60 17"

How its possibal ??

yes, i discovered that it appears that the tire industry doesn't conform to strict dimensional standards. my bridgestone 170 is approximately 4.5 mm narrower than my avon 170. i'm guessing it is sort of like shoes--one manufacturer's size US9 is another manufacturer's size US8.5, one country's 42 is almost but not exactly another country's 42 and closer to 43. i should have researched my purchase better. most manufacturer's publish the exact dimensions of their tires on their websites.

Last edited:
Exactly. The standards don't seem to apply to the tire manufacturers and not sure why.

i think part of it some companies measure 'as the eye sees it' vs the actual width of the rubber used for the tread.

i remember the local dirt bike shop had a printed piece of paper hanging over their tires with 3 columns it was like 'michelin' 'some other brand' 'all others' and the comparisons so people could gauge what size they needed in what brand.

i think shinkos run a tiny bit 'small'. measure the 'contact patch' with a string, i wonder if thats not 170 on the dot.

another thing to keep in mind is if you put too big of a tire on too small of a rim it will mushroom it and put the 'as the eye sees it measurement' smaller as well.

Back