1992 V-Max any throttle and it cuts out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Dalton

Reaction score
Strange issue when taking it out from Winter storage and could do with some pointers as for the last 10 years it has been fine taking off its winter coat.

The bike has new fuel, plugs and fuel filter. Starts fine on choke and once warmed the choke can be lowered and ticks over fine. But as some as you turn the throttle. The engine dies.

I have removed the air box and tried a little carb cleaner. The engine revs fine when adding cleaner in the carbs but still dies with any throttle a second or two later.

Any pointers whould be great. I am thinking possible fuel pump issue or stripping the carbs and giving them a clean. Any ideas?

Sounds like an excessively lean condition to me. Check all the carburetor rubber donuts, above and below the carbs. Make sure the air cleaner is intact, and properly placed. Use some starting fluid sprayed around the carburetor boots top & bottom, and don't forget where the VBoost bolts to the intakes of the heads, each intake has a skinny O-ring. Check the VBoost rubber connectors, the ones going front to back, with the starting fluid too.

You might want to drain the float bowls one at a time, into a clear container, to see if there's any water in the fuel.

Can we assume that it was running OK when put into hibernation and was any work done on it over the Winter?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when the ignition is switched on? Do you get a similar amount of fuel out of the float chambers when draining them?
If you suspect the pump you could rig up a small gravity fed tank.
When you open the throttle can you see the slides start to rise?

I'm having a somewhat similar issue. To get it to run I have to give it full choke. It will fire up and surge between 1 and 3 grand. It pops and sputters with blow back out the top of the carbs. Any throttle and I mean any and the bike cuts off!!! If I try to adjust the idle screw on the left-side center (big screw) up and it cuts off. I already did the Pea Shooter. This is the funniest thing (Really not funny). I have not touched the synch screws yet for each carb (need to get a good-fitting screwdriver.

I'm having a somewhat similar issue. To get it to run I have to give it full choke. It will fire up and surge between 1 and 3 grand. It pops and sputters with blow back out the top of the carbs. Any throttle and I mean any and the bike cuts off!!! If I try to adjust the idle screw on the left-side center (big screw) up and it cuts off. I already did the Pea Shooter. This is the funniest thing (Really not funny). I have not touched the synch screws yet for each carb (need to get a good-fitting screwdriver.
Just wondering if you let it run for awhile will it stall out, that would be your fuel pump not working right, mine did that when coming out of hibernation, was my reserve switch not being happy.

Just wondering if you let it run for awhile will it stall out, that would be your fuel pump not working right, mine did that when coming out of hibernation, was my reserve switch not being happy.
I've had it run for 10 minutes and it is still happening. I also purchased another fuel pump and verified that it is working.

Just as Firemedic was alluding....

As you open the butterfly valve (throttle), the air flow increases and it is supposed to draw more fuel to go with the faster air flow....yet it dies.

I would drain each fuel bowl and see if they have the right amount of fuel and if the fuel is clean. If that's OK, then you may have to clean the carbs.

Back