2005 YZF-600 electrical question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman504

Reaction score
My buddy Seth and I are trying to get his marker / blinker lights working on his YZF before we ride to Thunder. He was having all kinds of weird shit happening and after I told him to get an LED blinker relay and we installed it, it fixed most of the problems. Now for my question....does anybody know whether the rear marker lights are supposed to stay on all the time and get brighter when the blinker flashes? Im pretty sure it is illegal for those yellow lights to be lit all the time on the rear of the bike. I dont really understand where they are getting the constant power from because there are only two wires going to them. On my Vmax front markers that do that, there is 3 wires. Very confused here.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

A guess, just a guess....is that the rears are being backfed thru the LED flasher unit, receiving partial power from the running light portion of the front signals. It doesn't take full battery voltage to light up LEDS - many of the ones I have purchased have a range of 5-14 volts.
So what you are seeing at the rear is a partially powered up(dim) circuit, that goes to full capacity(bright) when the turn signal power is applied.
I had a somewhat similar problem when installed LED saddlebag lights, which in the long run turned out to not a problem, but an advantage. But that's another story.
Try unplugging the wires for the front running lights only, then see what happens with the rears, when using the signals.
Your friend will probably have to use diodes in the system, like most everybody else who have gone with LED flashers and flasher units.
Cheers!

Miles, thanks for your help. Before we put the led relay in it, they were on too. Doesnt make any good sense.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Gotcha. And I assumed that his turn signals were LED units. Is this so?
I would still try unplugging the front running lights.
Also, up here in my neck of the woods, it's illegal for any non-emergency vehicle to have to have anything but red lights constantly on , on the rear of the vehicle.
Which is why my RCMP constable friend gently told me to loose the dual-filament signal lights I had on the rear, which lit a constant yellow with the ignition on. Bummer!:bang head:

No, they are all incadecsent (spelling). Maybe thats the problem. They have 1157 bulbs in them instead of 1156. I have no idea. Illegal here too by the way.

No, they are all incadecsent (spelling). Maybe thats the problem. They have 1157 bulbs in them instead of 1156. I have no idea. Illegal here too by the way.

Weird one.
What year is the YZF?
HOW did 1157 bulbs get fitted to 1156 sockets:ummm: The pin configuration on the bulbs is different.
I've got a few spare sockets. I just tried fitting an 1157 to an 1156 socket. Just won't push-turn-lock like it's suppose to, but will kind of jam in and stay.
Which may explain your problem. The two contacts on the 1157 bulbs are very close together, so close that if jammed in the single-contact 1156 socket, they may be both touching.
Of course the next thing to try is putting the proper bulbs(1156) in the rear signals!
Keep us posted!

Good point. Maybe they dont have 1157 or 1156 in them. I was kinda speculating that may be the problem. Im not home right now to look at it. I forgot they wont fit in the sockets right. PO added 2 mirrors with led blinkers in them. I might try to unplug those, put the factory blinker relay back in and see what happens.

Now, after not messing with anything, one of the rear lights are not illuminated all the time. It works like its supposed to. We rode about 200 miles to rolling thunder sunday and noticed it was working when we got home. Strange

Got it working! The ole Blinker Genie and some re-connecting of some loose wires did the trick.

Back