2006 & 2007 Vmax Comment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
See these for sale along with models from earlier years. I would like knowledgeable people to comment on the differences between these two years and earlier models, the pro's and con's of ownership, ect. Things like are they the same, were changes made to them that were not so good or made them better. Any bit of information on them is appreciated. Just what is the story on the 2006 and 2007 models?

AFAIK there were only VERY minor changes made from '99 onwards.

The main difference were in '90 (digital ignition) and '93 (bigger front forks and brakes).

Some improvements were added in the engines like stronger gear segments and spin-on oil filter, but all of those were done before '99 so really from 2000 to 2007 it's the same bike.

In 2005 it was the 'anniversary edition' in bright red with a commemorative plate on the faux-tank.

'06 and '07 simply got slightly different colors, like the flames on the faux-tank the the wheels and engines being black with red stripes or matt black etc..

Nope - carbs are identical '85-'07, inc. vboost. (at least for the US. In Europe/Japan, there were many years of 'underpowered' boostless Maxes built, to adhere to 100BHP rules)

Only *possible* change is jetting on the rear carbs, I seem to remember the 1984 printed manual (for the '85) showing one size difference between front and rear main jets.

So there is no reason to discriminate at all. In watching values, seems 2006 and 2007 models frequently are better values over the 2005. Guess the only reason is the Anniversary Edition.

2007 may be a good buy at $5k to $6 k then....

Indeed, the '06 and '07 are the very latest Gen 1 Max's you can buy. Down the years they'll prolly be some of the most valuable.
The '05 is indeed slightly overinflated because of its 'anniversary' status.

Hey, mine's a '25th Anniversary Edition'. Think I'm gonna make my own unique #001 plate and sell it for 3x the price :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Yours is the 15th anniversary edition coz 2000 minus 1985 is 15 not 25... :whistlin::eek:h yeah:

Also around 2003 they changed the oil pipe to get rid of the o-ring problem. I would get 2003 or later if I had a choice. Don't think any changes were made after that year (except cosmetic).

You might be on to something there G...........................Ive got a 25th anniverary edition, its even anniversary RED.

A seller told me they changed something in the clutch or gearbox to help solve the gears problems in earlier years. I had never heard of that one.

Have any of you heard of a change made by Yamaha in 2006 or 2007 that makes the gears/clutch better?

Also, what do you think of $6,000 for a 2006 with 13k miles, spotless, with second owner?

A seller told me they changed something in the clutch or gearbox to help solve the gears problems in earlier years. I had never heard of that one.

Have any of you heard of a change made by Yamaha in 2006 or 2007 that makes the gears/clutch better?

Also, what do you think of $6,000 for a 2006 with 13k miles, spotless, with second owner?

I think the gear segments were updated in '98 or '99, after that nothing more than what m-cman said - slight mod to get rid of the 'bulging oil o-ring' problem.

$6k for an '06 in perfect condition is ok, but only if it has full service history and hasn't spent any length of time sitting. The very low mileage would indicate that it has. If it's been ridden a few miles every week that's ok, if it got ridden 12k mile in '06/'07 then sat since it's bad.
Any chance you can find out?

I own an '07. There is a couple of people up here that have the '06's we walked around the both of them.

IMO the '07's were just left over 06's :confused2:

Back