25K OverHaul on 85 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHSteve

Reaction score
Just put the bike in the shop for the winter.... for a 25K overhaul, carb clean and poss. rebuild + front fork springs........ Im sure we'll find other stuff to fix/replace but was wondering What else should I consider/look for????
:ummm:

Coolant flush/change, engine oil change, diff fluid change, brake/clutch fluid change, inspect all hoses and rubber components for wear/age/cracking..........I'm sure there is more and others will chime in.................Tom.

Dayum! I read the headline, thought you'd just spent $25K on your 85. Thought you'd at least post up some really nice photos of the finished bike.

Maybe switch over to spin on oil filter and lots of powdercoating!

Maybe switch over to spin on oil filter and lots of powdercoating!

+1 to what Pat and the rest of the guys said, plus a valve clearance check. Unless t's been done recently. Pull the triple tree and inspect head bearings. Drop the pan and do the Morley HD oil pump upgrade. Update the dreaded o-ring and the securing system for the oil plumbing (there are a lot of new products for this).Rear shocks are always nice to upgrade. The sky is the limit.
I'm at 43k and will be inspecting cam chain guides, adjusters, valve clearance and
fluids. Last valve check and adjust was at about 21k.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Carr wheels, Extended arm (I actually have one ready to go that's not claimed yet), Paint, Big Bore - wait a minute. That's not the normal service stuff lol. Solid mounts, frame bracing, the HD oiling that was mentioned, fluids, chassis upgrades, battery, the list is almost endless.

Sean

If the valves have never been done should think about that. Refresh the fork, new seals/oil, toss some Progressive springs in while they're apart. Inspection of the head bearings is probably a good idea also.

Unless you want to drop some money on mods/improvements there's nothing really special that needs to be done at 25k, other than routine maintenance and inspections you should do every couple k.

Otherwise, it's more like what shouldn't you fix.

I think checking the steering, swingarm and both wheels' bearings is a must.

And then all fluids motor oil, diff oil, fork oil, coolant, clutch & brakes fluids - flush and renew them all.

Check the clutch and brake lines, if they're old and squidgy then replace with SS lines, it's well worth it!

Then while you're at the carbs, check all rubber boots and hoses, and replace any cracked ones.

Dismantle, clean, lubricate all electrical connections you can get to!

I think checking the steering, swingarm and both wheels' bearings is a must.

And then all fluids motor oil, diff oil, fork oil, coolant, clutch & brakes fluids - flush and renew them all.

Check the clutch and brake lines, if they're old and squidgy then replace with SS lines, it's well worth it!

Then while you're at the carbs, check all rubber boots and hoses, and replace any cracked ones.

Dismantle, clean, lubricate all electrical connections you can get to!

Great advice for an old bike. I would definitely be checking out the rubber boots on the airbox, carbs, and vboost.

Valve adj will be done. front fork will be done. wiil consider the Morley HD oil pump upgrade. as well as all new SS lines.....
Elec system not charging like it should but works could be 1-1.5v better. Coolant flush/change, engine oil change, diff fluid change, brake/clutch fluid change, inspect all hoses and rubber components for wear/age/cracking WILL BE DONE.
extra stuff depends on $$$

Latest posts

Back