440's, worth the money?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
Now that I've finally rebuilt my forks with heavy progressive springs, it's even more obvious how woefully undersprung the rear is for my fat ass. I have 11.5" 412's on there, and I clock almost 300lbs in gear. Rough freeways are like getting kidney punched repeatedly.

For someone my size (imagine always having a passenger, heh) are the 440HD's worth it? I seriously need to do something to the rear end, but they sure want a chunk of change for them.

Yes and get rid of the 11.5 and go back to stock 13 You can set more preload and help with the under spung. And have more travel to absorb a bit more on the bumbs

I ride 2 up with my girl all the time and the 440s, in her own words, worth every penny from the 412s

I am 240, she is 120, so together we are quite a bit more than you.

Thanks Fargo, I was 90% sold, just wanted to hear some good words before pulling the trigger. They ain't cheap.

I just ordered the 13" 440HD's, should be in by the end of the week.

Check with Sean for a set of 440s. So far he's offering good deal compared to many I have seen before I got my set from him.

Already ordered em unfortunately, but I got em at decent price. Less than 5, shipped

I have the HD440's in 13", I weigh 270 and as far as handling goes it helps a ton over stock but I not sure that std 440's might have done the same. I have the spring preload as low as it will go but it still feels possibly a little oversprung? I am going to try some different settings when I do my very own tech day.

Well progressive suggests the HD's over 240lbs, so your just beyond that. Shame they don't have rebound damping adjustment for folks like you right between shocks.

In fact for the money, I'm really surprised at the adjustments they don't have, but man piggyback nitros would look awfully weird on my bike.

Same basic weight as you, went from 412 11.5's to 440HD 12.5's and am in LOVE! Amazingly better!

Chris

4gasem said:
Same basic weight as you, went from 412 11.5's to 440HD 12.5's and am in LOVE! Amazingly better!

Chris

I almost got the 12.5s, but in the end said wth is half am inch and wentback to stock 13

I almost got the 12.5s, but in the end said wth is half am inch and wentback to stock 13

Garret sold me a set he had bought. I got such a great deal on them, I couldn't complain... It looks great with the wheels and such as well.

Chris

Garret sold me a set he had bought. I got such a great deal on them, I couldn't complain... It looks great with the wheels and such as well.

Chris

Wish I had run across a used set, I could have bought a decent pistol for what they cost me. :(

ha. mine weren't used.

dennis kirk for some reason had stupid deals on 440s last fall. some were as cheap as $120 for the pair. plus there were free fork springs with 440 purchase deal.

ha. mine weren't used.

dennis kirk for some reason had stupid deals on 440s last fall. some were as cheap as $120 for the pair. plus there were free fork springs with 440 purchase deal.
LOL, neither were mine, thanks to Garrett; $127 shipped to my door. The free set of fork spring from Progressive were great too!

As a FYI to those that want to be on the lookout you can go to Progressive's Specification and Technical Information page to find out the specific details about the shock you want/ need then cross reference the part numbers that match or closely match those numbers. Then keep a sharp eye out for the sales. We got ours from Dennis Kirk last fall in a unbelievable sale!
My 440-4218B spec for the Vmax 440 HD Black shock closely matched the spec for a Suzuki Intruder 1400 (I think - I will look at my packing list once I get home). There may be others that match up but if you do some home work you may find the a deal like we did.

i['ll post it again if it comes up again...

No worries. As luck would have it I couldn't sleep tonight and went by the Bicycle Club to play a little poker. Good flop, netted $400 and was out of there before I finished my first coffee. So the way I see it, some very angry asian guy from Bell Gardens bought me some new shocks.

Wasn't even my birthday.

I just ordered a set of 440 12.5 HD springs from Sean will post feedback when i get a few miles on them.

No worries. As luck would have it I couldn't sleep tonight and went by the Bicycle Club to play a little poker. Good flop, netted $400 and was out of there before I finished my first coffee. So the way I see it, some very angry asian guy from Bell Gardens bought me some new shocks.

Wasn't even my birthday.

Sweet :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back