86 Vmax Project no keys

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobrules

Reaction score
I have an 1986 Vmax I am trying to get back on the road. Problem is I don't have any keys. anyone know what my best option is for getting a replacement? Any input is appreciated.

You can take the code from the bottom of the ignition and have a dealer order one, or take it to a locksmith for maybe more but faster service. Or contact Sean (one2dmax) or kyle (captainkyle) and see if they have a set around the shop.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

An experienced locksmith can come out to you and craft one on site. I had to have this done as an emergency service when my dumbass lost my bike key at a rally...

If I remember correctly it was about $125 back in 2004.

An experienced locksmith can come out to you and craft one on site. I had to have this done as an emergency service when my dumbass lost my bike key at a rally...

If I remember correctly it was about $125 back in 2004.

When my buddy & I attend Daytona Bike Week, I always bring a spare key for the bike, my truck, and the lock I use on the bike. That way, if I lose my key for anything, I only have to get a ride back to where we're staying, retrieve the spare, and return to my bike.

I have taken my key # off the lock cyl before, it was on a stick-on metallic label. I have also used the key code to have one replaced, if you have the original key.

The first thing I do w/any new purchase for rolling-stock is to get a couple of duplicates made, and label them w/any key codes from the original key. Those go into a Pelican Box for safekeeping.

My Camry started to give me problems in actuating the steering column lock cyl. I thought it was the lock cyl which was worn-out, but the shop suggested ordering a new key from the dealer, which they did using the VIN. It was a worn-out key, not a bad lock cyl! That saved me about $150.

I bought a complete VMax lockset, (gas tank cap, ignition lock, faux cover) used, and the seller 'forgot' he didn't have a key:damn angry: but my local locksmith, whom I have used for 30+ years, gave me a break and made a pair of new keys for $20. :punk:He said they usually start at $45 & + depending on what they have to do.

If you give me the code number I can make a key and send it to you just include the year of your bike. If you don't have the code you could send the ignition cylinder and I can make one from that but the rest of the locks don't have all the tumblers in them. Just pm me if you need to. I am a locksmith.

Ed is a good resource for the locksmithing. I would have paid for his service if my local lock shop was too-expensive. He is always offering his service for these issues. Keep him busy so he won't be pulling a 'Coprunner!':rofl_200:

Well, Tim hasn't been as-frequent on here as he used-to, I bet it's work and family care that is taking his time. But, his screen name, "CopRunner," describes what he's known-for, and that activity is one that you don't want to be apprehended for! It could result in jail time and big fines, loss of driving privileges & etc.

The FL cops have little in the way of sense of humor. I am sure it's the same way wherever you go. Make them look-bad by running, and if caught, you will likely get the bike impounded, and take a trip to jail, while having your license suspended. Being in fire-rescue, I dealt w/cops constantly, and there are good ones and bad ones. You don't want to deal w/them when their hornets' nest just got kicked by you as a coprunner. You will pay a price.

Here is an earlier post about what Miami FL cops did to a 'coprunner,' a very sad story.

I don't care if he's snorting mothballs in a yak scrotum, I was making mention of what the police are ticketing bikes here for, they don't have to be "running from the cops," if a police sweep at a bike night finds violations and writes them, and the "runnin'-dude" crumples it up and throws it on the ground, his registration won't be renewable next year, and his license could be suspended because of non-payment; then if he's riding in his Hyundai and gets stopped by them, he'll face impoundment of his ride and a trip to the county jail. The cops here have been cracking-down on those "invisible, not-lit" license plates that the riders were attaching inside their rear fenders, among other things.

Awhile-ago, they formed a running road-block to catch a group of sportbike riders who made the bad decision to run at the same time on I-95 every week. When the group appeared, the PD was waiting for them and boxed them in w/a string of cruisers. Lotta impounded bikes that night! They have also done sweeps on Krome Ave where the bikes race top-end, on the edge of the Everglades. More impoundments and multiple tickets!

The "McDuffie Riots" in Miami were because a Tampa jury found a handful of cops "not-guilty" after a Black sportbike rider ran from the cops and broke a bunch of red lights, and when he finally stopped, the PD beat him to-death, one of the implements used to do that was a Kel-Light which caused a skull fracture which broke the victim's cranium into two longitudinally. The trial of the accused officers in McDuffie's death was moved to Tampa and when the "not-guilty" verdict was released, the Overtown/Liberty City area of Miami rioted, destroying tens of millions of dollars of property. Sixteen people died during the three days of resulting rioting.

This Memorial Day, say a prayer for Arthur McDuffie, he was a Marine veteran who was an M.P. All he did was run from the police because he already got a ticket for an expired driver's license, and he didn't want another one, so he ran on his Kawasaki when the Miami Police tried to make a traffic stop.

So, if you run from the cops here, you might pay-more than you planned-on when they get you.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29291&highlight=mcduffie&page=2

I've had a few "incidents" myself but I guess I just didn't remember that Tim dissapeared for a bit. But Pa is a bit strict also but it don't sound as bad as Florida.

Get caught 3X pulling wheelies and you could lose your license and your bike, and get a huge fine, too.

Latest posts

Back