'92 Max dies after idle...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a hugh fan of the Rifle Superbike Fairing. Kind of expensive compared to basic windshields but works well. They have two other fairings that fit the Max, one larger with built-in turnsignals (Sport) and one smaller (Nightflight). Depends on the coverage you want. The Sport is great but looks the worst. The Nightflight looks good but has less coverage. I prefer the Superbike and had it on a bike I rode to the Florida Keys and back (from Dallas). Just need to pick the proper height windshield. I am attaching a link to pics of a Max with the larger Sport fairing just for info.

http://www.hotautoweb.com/04vmax.html

They can be color matched (for a reasonable upcharge if you have paint codes or stock paint), painted gloss black or left primer if you want to paint yourself.

I just bought a Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield because it looks like it provides good coverage and wasn't expensive but haven't installed it yet. Will report on its effectiveness when I have used it a while.

Thanks for the link, m-cman. The Rifle Sport on that Max in the ad looks like it's mounted at an angle that would lift the front end a bit at speed, although I'm sure the angle changes a bit with a rider aboard. I'll bet it blocks all kinds of wind but jeez, I guess I'm not willing to sacrifice the aesthetics of the bike THAT much.
I did check out the Slipstreamer line on cyclestuffusa http://www.cyclestuffusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=52&Page=1
and saw the 'hellfire' you mentioned. Not bad, but I thought the 'Viper' or even the 'Spitfire' were more suited to the Max and look like they would deflect enough of the wind blast for me.
VIPER.jpg

Spitfire.jpg

The Viper is a similar shape to the National Cycle Street EX I use on my Magna. For a super long cross country trek, however, I'll bet that Rifle Sport would be be comfortable. Crap, 20 years ago I wouldn't even THINK of ruining the looks of the VMax with any one of these things...now, a wild night for me is chasing my grandkids around the garden (cue the Godfather scene with Marlon Brando and his grandson in the garden).

Got the Hellfire (the decal is removeable) because I wanted a little more protection for trips. Won't keep it on normally.

Go to the Rifle site and look at the other two fairings. The Sport works great but really messes up the look of the Max. The other two may be closer to what you are looking for. As I said, I really liked the Superbike fairing and may still get one and have it painted to match my custom paint.

I had a larger windshield on last year, while it blocked a lot of wind and wasn't too bad visually, I still wanted a smaller windshield. I didn't want the OEM b/c of reported problems with buffeting. I looked around and found a Givi airstars that seemed to fit what I was looking for. It was smaller than my old one lager than the OEM unit and had a little different shape to it. I happy to report after 2500+ miles it has proven to be a great little windshield. At normal hiway speeds (55 - 80) the wind hits mid visor and takes most of the wind off my upper body. There is no helmet buffeting and wind only hits my shoulders and arms. I run dragbars and have lowered the front forks 2" (via progressive lowering springs) so that helps a bunch with wind posturing.

Attachments

• IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 5
nice!!

Redbone-
Now that looks like a great compromise between looks and practicality. Best looking shield I've seen for the Max so far, although I'm surprised it keeps the wind off your chest. The price isn't bad either.
BTW, checked out your gallery and really like your new paint and mods. What's the brand on those turns? Are they bright enough to still be highly visible? Got any shots of your old Hugh shield from the front? That one looks more like the size I'm looking for.

Here is a couple pics, I believe it is a Tracy Designs Gauntlet. I'm not sure if they make them anymore? The drag bars has my hands moved down/ forward and with Sean Morley's redesigned seat I'm sit about 1" to 2" lower. Overall I fit more into the bike than on than I did before.
The blinkers are from Python Motorsports. They are not super bright as they are bulbs not led's. I would say these are "ok" turnsignals now that I have them. I would look for turnsignals with led's or at least have some rubber mounting to them. :confused2:

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
Here is a couple pics, I believe it is a Tracy Designs Gauntlet. I'm not sure if they make them anymore? The drag bars has my hands moved down/ forward and with Sean Morley's redesigned seat I'm sit about 1" to 2" lower. Overall I fit more into the bike than on than I did before.
The blinkers are from Python Motorsports. They are not super bright as they are bulbs not led's. I would say these are "ok" turnsignals now that I have them. I would look for turnsignals with led's or at least have some rubber mounting to them. :confused2:

Thanks for digging up the pics of the 'old' redbone for me, man. Don't like the Gauntlet now that I've seen it up close. Will probably check out the Givi Airstar shield and pick up a set of drag bars to improve the wind posturing. Any opinion on the bars you've swapped to?

I bought the drag bars for Python Motorsports, I think they cost around $17 + shipping. They are about a inch wider than the stock bars. If you want even wider bars you can check out Flanders they have a lot of choices. Look at the 7/8" bars, there are a bunch of them!

I bought the drag bars for Python Motorsports, I think they cost around $17 + shipping. They are about a inch wider than the stock bars. If you want even wider bars you can check out Flanders they have a lot of choices. Look at the 7/8" bars, there are a bunch of them!

I might check out the Flanders site for some wider ones, I've got one of their flattrack bars on my Magna.

Back