A botched POR 15 job...Help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hello all...hope you're all doing okay.

Question for you:

A complete idiot (a.k.a. me) screwed up a POR 15 tank liner job in my fuel tank (the water rinse wasn't COMPLETELY dry when I applied the actual liner).

So, I'd like to know if any of you have ever tackled the job of ridding the tank of ALL TRACES of the POR 15. Apparently, it's a beotch to do, but I want to do it right.

Thanks very much for any tips you can offer!

Elimax

Hello all...hope you're all doing okay.

Question for you:

A complete idiot (a.k.a. me) screwed up a POR 15 tank liner job in my fuel tank (the water rinse wasn't COMPLETELY dry when I applied the actual liner).

So, I'd like to know if any of you have ever tackled the job of ridding the tank of ALL TRACES of the POR 15. Apparently, it's a beotch to do, but I want to do it right.

Thanks very much for any tips you can offer!

Elimax

acetone or MEK maybe? I'd call POR's parent company or whatever and ask them. they'd know. its going to be a nasty chemical for sure.

Wouldn't the antecdote to their product be stated on the labeling somewhere? Maybe under the cleanup section, like on paint products?

on a side note, IF this is a vmax tank.

you're going to spend $50 on another POR kit, and then $20 on checmicals to get the stuff out.

i'd go get a new tank for the $250 they can be had for.

Its says WARNING ONCE DRY NOTHING WILL REMOVE POR15. I remember from doing my tank.. I let mine dry overnight with a fan blowing threw it... but I think maybe the only way is to recoat it... maybe a bead blaster but I'd run a heat gun threw it and do it again... that sux tho

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Stuff doesn't come off I used some in a trunk of my car decades ago and still there like new. I didn't read instructions and got it on my hands......well took over a month to get it off....well more like when new skin grew under it.......

Ya use heat gun and go from there,stuff sticks I'm sure you will be ok if it wasn't soakin wet

One of the reasons I listened to my friend & mechanic Bill Boyce from Riva Yamaha in Pompano Beach. He told me when I was resuscitating my 21 year-old VMax to buy a new tank & save myself the heartache of repeatedly tearing-apart the carb rack to clean them as the rust continued to foul the carbs. The cost of a new tank is far-less than what a dealer would charge to go-thru a carb rack. Wasn't there some poor sucker who paid $2000 for a carb cleaning from a dealer? It got 'discounted' to $1700? :confused2:

buddy is doing his cbr tank now and told me its a four day dry time according to instructions and not to use heat but air dry/fan ........
how moist was it....might be ok

One of the reasons I listened to my friend & mechanic Bill Boyce from Riva Yamaha in Pompano Beach. He told me when I was resuscitating my 21 year-old VMax to buy a new tank & save myself the heartache of repeatedly tearing-apart the carb rack to clean them as the rust continued to foul the carbs. The cost of a new tank is far-less than what a dealer would charge to go-thru a carb rack. Wasn't there some poor sucker who paid $2000 for a carb cleaning from a dealer? It got 'discounted' to $1700? :confused2:

LOL..he went home yesterday...I'm gonna see if I can get all of the details of the invoice....

Thanks for the info, folks...it wasn't for my Max tank but a tank for my 1994 CB1000.

I'm not positive that the liner will stick, because when I was draining out the rest of the liner from the tank, there were traces of frickin' water in it. So, I'm concerned the liner won't fully adhere properly, and I'll frick up the carbs. And also, a new tank for the bike is $750 (there's nothing on ebay right now that will be of any good quality.)

So, I did by lotsa acetone today and will use it very soon. I'll let you all know how/if it works.

Thanks again!

Elimax

Maybe add a second clear fuel filter will be good insurance.....did it bubble inside ??

can you dry it for say a week, then try POR15 again? maybe with some abrasive inside. ie put some chain in to 'scrape' off anything that bubbled, then re-prep and re=do POR15 since the stuff that 'stuck' by their method shouldn't come unstuck.

Heat the tank to a bit over boiling point and leave it at that for a while. Most water will then cook dry.

I used that stuff on an old international tractor restoration, reading all this makes me glad I asked my mechanic- father in law to do the tank for me!!

Good luck on the fix. The stuff does work, no doubt.

Latest posts

Back