A/f meter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmie

Reaction score
Anyone know of a portable type of air to fuel meter? I've looked but most that I see you have to drill holes in the exhaust and I'm not into that. I was thinking one that maybe clamps to the exhaust with the sensor that goes down into the exhaust. Any idea's?

only a drill, unfortunately. being drilled in a place where all the pipes and at least 50 inches from the end of the exhaust pipe (if you make less likely to suck air and readings will be wrong)

Mine's a small box affair I bought out of JCWhitney many years ago. It's about the size of a cracker box. It has a sniffer tool that's made to reach up inside a car exhaust tube, but also has attachments to connect directly to an exhaust bung. I made a small converter that bolts directly to the stock Yamaha bungs out of a grease zerk, if I remember correctly. Had the right threads to match the bike, and I soldered a piece of copper pipe to it about 6" long. I attach a small length of rubber gas/oil hose from there over to the machine.

Only problem I had is it will only do one cylinder at a time. A fella needs to make a small brass junction box with 4 individual inlets and valves to open/close per each cylinder to save time IF you were going to use one a lot.

I don't know if those small sniffer machines are even made any more. Everyone went to the big all-in-one computer diagnostic machines with everything built in.

Don't know of a portable, but installing bung isn't any big deal....

I had one on my stock exhaust directly welded into the garbage can of a collector on the back towards the left side, just made a hole and then rode it to a muffler place and had them weld it in.

On the aftermarket exhaust I have now I made a hole in the mid pipe right after the collector between the collector and the muffler, closer to the collector, and hade it welded. It only reads two cylinder, but it ain't any different than all the hot rods out there only reading one bank of a V6 or V8.

The exhaust was stainless and I made sure and bought a stainless bung from Summit for about $15 so they could properly tig/mig it, not sure which. I can easily plug it....buy a plug with the bung, they are cheap.......

I run a permanently mounted Wide Band Commander and it works like a charm, with an analog guage so you can "see" the ratio without having to actaully "read" it like you do with a digital display.....There are cheaper units out there....

Don't waste your money on any unit that doesn't use a wide band sensor, the narrow band sensors are only capable of displaying either "higher than" or "lower than" stoich, 14.7:1, doesn't matter how many pretty lights they put on the guage.....

Perhaps one of these might be what you are looking for??????????/

http://www.etoolcart.com/gunson-gastester-portable-exhaust-gas-analyzer.aspx
This one is sort of like the one I bought so many years ago.....but mine runs on 115vac. I want to say mine has settings and attachments to monitor RPM's, dwell, etc too.

http://www.enerac.com/products/current-products/m500
Handheld, but no price listed. (I suspect they want $800+ for it)

http://www.blankeindustries.com/motorcycle.htm
Again, no price listed, but marketed directly at the motorcycle industry.

Yeah you can get the innovate LM series ones that plug into 12V and clamp down to the tip of the exhaust. Mainly used when dyno tuning though.

+1
Innovate LM2 :
-Portable
-recording function (easier to read result on a laptop computer)

but expensive and drill/weld needed if you want good readings (easy to do..)

Back