A/F screw stop?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGMO

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey quick question. Im setting my Air / Fuel screws and when i went to screw them in to see what they were set at it really didnt seems as it ever stopped. I went up to 6 turns in and it never seated. I got freaked out so I backed out the 6 turns and started in again. this time ever so gently, i didnt count hoe many turns but i felt a slight , and i mean ever so slight, tension change so i stopped and set em back 2 1/2 turns. IS this seated for this screw or should it actually have a stoppin point?
I did this to all 4 screws and then took it for a ride. it actually semed to run much smoother but who knows that could be humidity or whatever.

Also when u turn your key and the Vboost cycles 3 times which time is it opening fullly. I want to unplug it and try that again, running with full vboost. but i cant remember which vweep vweeep or vweeeep.

Hey quick question. Im setting my Air / Fuel screws and when i went to screw them in to see what they were set at it really didnt seems as it ever stopped. I went up to 6 turns in and it never seated. I got freaked out so I backed out the 6 turns and started in again. this time ever so gently, i didnt count hoe many turns but i felt a slight , and i mean ever so slight, tension change so i stopped and set em back 2 1/2 turns. IS this seated for this screw or should it actually have a stoppin point?
I did this to all 4 screws and then took it for a ride. it actually semed to run much smoother but who knows that could be humidity or whatever.

Jon, they should definitely seat and not turn anymore once seated. If you push a slide back and open the throttle you can see the end of the screw protruding into the bore. Make sure that happens. If not, remove the screw and make sure the screw isn't scrunching something. You should see a spring, washer and then o-ring on the screw.

These should fall out at 5&1/2 turns.

Thanks Mark Ill check to see if i can see the spring in the bore. and by that u mean take off the individual filters and push the needle back and i should see the end of that A/F mixture screw protrude in the bore? right? What would be scrunched do u think? i cant imagine all 4 od em having the same problem? ill try to slip out in a bit and screw em in till they stop. cant hurt anything right? as long as they are turning in? can u strip em easily?
I thought they were supposed to seat but couldnt remember. these were unscrewed so far out it definetly had something to do with my bad gas mileage. Ill try it again maybe tonight if not tues or wednesday. I just took my daughter for a ride and i felt like it was much smoother and less of a gassy smell.
Kloker i thought they were supposed to fall out around that much thats why when i got to 6 turns i got a bit freaked out. but maybe my count was off and they were a skosh from seating? i dunno, but i neeed to get it figured out b4 it drives me crazy thinkin about it.

Thanks Mark Ill check to see if i can see the spring in the bore. and by that u mean take off the individual filters and push the needle back and i should see the end of that A/F mixture screw protrude in the bore? right? What would be scrunched do u think? i cant imagine all 4 od em having the same problem? ill try to slip out in a bit and screw em in till they stop. cant hurt anything right? as long as they are turning in? can u strip em easily?

Yep, take your filters off and push the slides/needle back. You'll have to open throttle too because the screw hole is below the throttle plates.

If you loosened the screws that far it's possible the o-ring to get stuck to the carb. Then, when pushing screw back in o-ring fell and isn't letting you tighten the screws all the way. I worked on a set of carbs this winter and all four had o-rings stuck in that little screw tunnel. I had to use a small pick to get 'em out.

Easiest way to get mixture screws out is to loosen them all the way and then blow a little compressed air in PAJ1. Have a container ready, the screw will fly out.

Easiest way to

Also when u turn your key and the Vboost cycles 3 times which time is it opening fullly. I want to unplug it and try that again, running with full vboost. but i cant remember which vweep vweeep or vweeeep.

I think it is the second sound.First it takes up slack then wide open then shut.I could be wrong though,my butterflies are long gone to singapore or somewhere over there.

Hey thx for the info as always guys. I went out and sure enough i was just a 1/4 turn (or less) from havin em all seated. was just being too careful. but for sure my screws were all like 4 maybe 5 turns out. i am gonna sync the carbs this weeks but i think syncin and turning the screws in two turns each will have a drastic effect on my fuel mileage. shoulda had this done months ago i know but its far funner to ride than wrench and it seemed to run fine. just bad mileage. i fell it pulls a bit harder now also. Ill keep u guys updated as i sync and check mileage after a tank full. thx again. btw my plugs didnt look too bad when i changed em earlier this month.

Jon, your plugs looked okay probably because you're spending all your time in the higher rpms. lol

I think I put Mikuni 155 main jets in your carbs, they should be pretty close.

You coming to Topeka? It's going to be awesome meeting others on the forum and it would be awesome if you could bring fish to grill. :biglaugh:

Mark I dont want to say anything to jinx it yet but its lookin like that weekend might be open. Something has come up twice and then been re-shceduled twice. One of them is my flathead catfish trip to minnesota but we are doin it the 14th and coming back the 18th.
I want to go and buy Morleys kit and get set up right. Plus I want to see all yas' Vmaxs'. Depends on how long we stay in Minnesota and how I feel afterward (lotta beer drinkin), and of course how the wife feels about me being gone two weekends straight. :biglaugh: But ive been plainnin on it.

Mark I thought you went with the stock main jets at 152.5 on my carbs? which ever you did you sent me back that others ones so if i have any problems ill swap em. I felt like at the higher RPMs last night its cut out just a little crackle. Ill unscrew the A/F screw a 1/4 turn out to see if it quits that. but it definetly runs smoother after riding in this morning. im goin fishin tonight so it looks like thursday befoer i can spend some time and set up my carbtune pro and sync the carbs. then ill fill the tank and let you know what i get.
Is there a way for those AF screws to work themselves out? seemed like they were pretty tight fit. but maybe vibration? ill keep an eye on em and see if they stay where they supposed to be.

Jon, you're probably right....I can't remember it was awhile ago!

I haven't ever seen the screws work themselves loose. I've seen them fly out because they were turned out too much while doing the Peashooter.....oops.

If the o-rings on the idle screws are in place properly and in good condition they should never move from where they were left......sometimes removing the screws leaves the o-rings in place and then they get turned sideways when the screws go back in...?????

Rusty

last time i worked on the carbs was last year at a buddies house. we were moving the needles up and while i was doin that he was writing down each AF screw how far it turned in.
We had had several beers by this point but in the end i think he said something like "sssheck those AF shhhcrews." I thought he had set em and wanted me to check his work, but he turned em back to what they were originally. he was only writing it down for record (so when my drunk ass came over and screwed em up he would have a reference to go back to).
so when he said check the screws he actually meant SET The Screws cause he felt they were too far out. My bad. Like i can hear the difference the motor makes fuk I figured hes the mechanic he set em, HE figured its his bike let him set em the way he wants. LOL. Thats Beer labor for ya. haha. no harm no foul.

Back