Advice on ram air! Pluhz help. Lol

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
Heya guys! So I'm basically set on a handful of mods, but there is one that I'm looking at as more of a mandatory challenge...

Prereq: I have Vgas carb set up (from 2003 if that matters)

I want to either fab the stock scoops to function as ram air or create some sort of mold (I suppose I would mock something up with clay then pour a mold around it, separate the mold then pour a hard liquid plastic into it?)

Either way, I can't afford either of the two functional ones currently out and I believe it to be mandatory that I run a ram air with filters, so I figured I could get creative with it.

- Filters are nice
- Wind actually pulls gas out of stacks at speed, currently
- Creates a positive pressure, filtered zone as 'airbox'

Does anyone have any sort of suggestions, advice, anything? I could use all of it times about treefiddy

My suggestion would be don't waste your time.

Don't mean to be flippant or harsh but your time and money would be MUCH better spent on other mods.

Ram air pressure, if you could achieve it and then tune for it, would only be effective over 100 MPH, and the gain would be small.

Ram air is not going to be worth doing.
If you search motorbike forums you won't find people doing it successfully on any bike!

Hmm, well what other options are there for filtering the stacks without decdecreasing the performance too much?

If I had the bike stock I would have just gone for sean's kit but I bought it with the Vgas so I'm trying to get the air filtered without downing my HP much.

I liked the idea of ram air more so because it would keep the air passing over the velocity stacks from sucking out gas and decreasing airflow at over 75 mph. (Makes air intake actually less than if you weren't moving)

So with that said, suggestions?

As for price, they all seem to be around 750 and for that much money I think it would be a cool project to make some myself! But

A) I dunno how to go about that (optimally)

B) There is probably a better alternative

See above....the UFO scoops are to be USED with Vgas carbs.

EDIT....sorry...posted at the same time that you did,

Real bad photo.....only one I have on this PC, I can post a better one later.

Foam UNI filters on a VGas setup. K&N's flow much better......HP loss would be minimal.

That bike made 123 HP and 80 lbs of TQ.

f1.jpg

You can search on K&N's website in the "Universal" application section for a filter that might fit. You could probably use the existing stack by just lopping off the bell.

The filter size and shape will be based on the on center distance between the carb throats. There probably won't be a lot of options that will fit. All of the K&N's flow real well, the foam filters (like UNI's) are more restrictive but still work fine on VGas. 80 lbs. of TQ is rarely seen on a stock displacement Max.

I used adapters from Sudco to fit the filters.....they were expensive (overpriced) if I remember correctly. If I was doing it again I would be looking for K&N's to attach directly to the VGas stacks with the bells cut off the end. My only concern would be that the stacks stay put....I think they are a press fit.

Here are a couple of more photos:

DSCN0656.jpg
DSCN0659.jpg

The filter size and shape will be based on the on center distance between the carb throats. There probably won't be a lot of options that will fit. All of the K&N's flow real well, the foam filters (like UNI's) are more restrictive but still work fine on VGas. 80 lbs. of TQ is rarely seen on a stock displacement Max.

I used adapters from Sudco to fit the filters.....they were expensive (overpriced) if I remember correctly. If I was doing it again I would be looking for K&N's to attach directly to the VGas stacks with the bells cut off the end. My only concern would be that the stacks stay put....I think they are a press fit.

Here are a couple of more photos:

View attachment 46971
View attachment 46972

Those almost look like Valve cover breathers. I wonder if something like that would work?

Good point! I suppose I'll measure them up and figure it out.

How exactly would I mount a filter like that to the Vgas flats idea carb? Does it attach to the velocity stack or does the stack come off and the filter goes right to the carb?

Thanks for the help, gentleman!

I can sell those same Vgas scoops too if really desired. Any filtration added to the flatslides pretty much negates the power benefits (especially on smaller motors). Plus, the way the flats mist fuel above the throat of the carbs it tends to saturate the filters (and your leg) and any backfire/pop can catch them on fire.

Sean

Sean! I was hoping to hear from you!

I know it will most likely mean a decrease in power, but I just want to accomplish the following:

1. I want filters
2. Velocity stacks lose airflow at high speeds
3. Fuel pulled out of velocity stacks at high speed

So I feel like a ram air would solve those three things at the cost of a few hp (potentially worse at low speeds due to filters)

I can sell those same Vgas scoops too if really desired. Any filtration added to the flatslides pretty much negates the power benefits (especially on smaller motors). Plus, the way the flats mist fuel above the throat of the carbs it tends to saturate the filters (and your leg) and any backfire/pop can catch them on fire.

Sean

I won't go back and forth on this.....Sean is here to help you, I'd go with whatever he says. :)

I have said before that fuel gets sucked out of the Vgas at higher speeds but others have commented they didn't have that issue. Either way a ram air isn't going to help power but will help with that. AND, you can get minimal filtration with ram air setup (see picture).

You can try the K&N's on it but they aren't what i'd suggest. Interference with the legs (I suppose no more then the stacks are) and fire potential.

Attachments

• IMG_20131212_162230_015.jpg
    IMG_20131212_162230_015.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 49
Finally saw the pics of the filters on the vgas posted earlier (they don't come right up for me). As I suspected they look like they don't exactly clear the legs easily lol. Another simple filter we used on the reaper bike.

You can get a few different filter types to fit on the stacks.
We've used these (look most of the way down the page):
http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/wildv8injection.asp

Not sure if these others will fit but i'm sure with the right measurements they would?
http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/99217.300.htm

http://www.piersideparts.net/CB6372.html

Attachments

• IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 45
I have said before that fuel gets sucked out of the Vgas at higher speeds but others have commented they didn't have that issue. Either way a ram air isn't going to help power but will help with that. AND, you can get minimal filtration with ram air setup (see picture).

You can try the K&N's on it but they aren't what i'd suggest. Interference with the legs (I suppose no more then the stacks are) and fire potential.

Awesome! I have a hunch that those who don't experience the issue might be trying to justify the $2000 price tag, but I'm not going to open that can of worms :biglaugh:

Also, thanks for the filter solutions! I have a honeycomb only set right now (no filter) but let's be honest - that's only going to hold back so much, and reduces air flow by a lot.

I agree that if anything, it would be a solution to a few key problems (leg room, gas smell, high speed air flow, etc) and might *might* increase horsepower at high speeds, that would simply be a bonus.

But basically sean, I'd love to buy a set - the problem is that for anything over $500 I'd rather just make a fun project out of making my own

The problem is that I have no clue where to start with the process (on a professional grade level) and could use some advice on how to go about it all.

Alternatively, if anyone has a set for sale I'm interested :punk:

Back