After market brake rotors

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears they are referring to two front 298 mm dia. front rotors and a single smaller diameter rear rotor, so 3 rotors for the entire bike, $200. Not a bad price. They appear similar to other Chinese-sourced rotors guys have been buying for years. I don't recall hearing of issues with the rotors themselves. People report issues attempting to remove the 'button-head' bolts for the wheels. Because of the thread-locker, remove the valve stem from the tire valve (schrader valve) before using heat to soften the thread-locker, and then attempting to remove the button-head allen screws. If the allen head strips-out, use a cold chisel and heat [remove the valve stem from the tire valve (schrader valve) before using heat ] to loosen the button-head machine screws securing the brake discs to the wheel hub.

1985-1992 wheels in front use smaller front brake discs, I think the measurement is 282 mm.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here but why is it necessary to remove the tyre valve if you are working on the rotor fasteners?

I recommended heat to loosen the thread locker. Remove the valve stem to avoid an explosion. Heat and compressed air can cause an explosion of lethal proportions.

I recommended heat to loosen the thread locker. Remove the valve stem to avoid an explosion. Heat and compressed air can cause an explosion of lethal proportions.
Hmm, sorry to sound sceptical but as heat is being applied locally to the centre of the wheel I would be surprised if sufficient would be conducted through the wheel 'spokes' and then through the rim before there would be any chance of the air expanding. To get it to expand to a degree that would cause the tyre to rupture would imply that far too much heat has been applied in the first place.

Perhaps someone could measure how much the rim and tyre has heated up when they do this?

In an adjoining municipality to where I worked there was a fatality due to an exploding tire on a traditional passenger vehicle not a big truck, bus or other oversized vehicle. The tech was using heat on the wheel still on the car when it exploded and killed him.

I purchased new replacement dampers (not cheap), but I could not get those damn old ones out. I could have had a shop remove them, but decided not. My powder coat guy reassured me the dampers would survive the furnace temps. And they did. Can't even tell they were heated at all.

I purchased new replacement dampers (not cheap), but I could not get those damn old ones out. I could have had a shop remove them, but decided not. My powder coat guy reassured me the dampers would survive the furnace temps. And they did. Can't even tell they were heated at all.
Thanks for the info will give it a go

Latest posts

Back