airbox sits poorly on carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serrow

Reaction score
any of you have a trick to get the airbox to lock down tightly on the carbs?

mine sit there, but even tightening the brackets up 100% keeps them pretty loose. I fear it'll goof up my already hard to find perfect mixture.

the boot itself is angled, making me kinda think that it was designed to just sit there.... is that wrong?

any of you have a trick to get the airbox to lock down tightly on the carbs?

mine sit there, but even tightening the brackets up 100% keeps them pretty loose. I fear it'll goof up my already hard to find perfect mixture.

the boot itself is angled, making me kinda think that it was designed to just sit there.... is that wrong?

It is time to replace the carb boots.They get old and hard,will not stay on.It will not run right sucking air there.You can buy them cheaper at University motors.

what about a swap to something like some K&N rubber clamp ons? will it lean out too much?

if im already paying 50 - 70 for the boots, i may wanna make a change. i'd prefer to wrench em down right to the carb mouths.

what about a swap to something like some K&N rubber clamp ons? will it lean out too much?

if im already paying 50 - 70 for the boots, i may wanna make a change. i'd prefer to wrench em down right to the carb mouths.

It will lean it out too much with out the stage 7 restrictors.I went through the same problem before.I bought new boots from U/Motors and it was a different world.I think that I only paid $8 each with our 15% over cost discount.

My old boots did exactly what yours are doing.No matter what I did they would pop right off.Looked tapered inside.

You should check the carb boots and vboost boots as well.The rubber gets hard,bridle and cracked.

Thanks Shawn, yeah... $8 something at U MOTORS. a bargain and a half, but they're moving right now so they cannot ship anything for almost 2 weeks. Oh well, i thought i would use the time to do some sleuthing.

Thanks Shawn, yeah... $8 something at U MOTORS. a bargain and a half, but they're moving right now so they cannot ship anything for almost 2 weeks. Oh well, i thought i would use the time to do some sleuthing.

You could try softening yours in brake fluid overnight.

I put a set on from UMotors this spring.
Makes a big difference in how the bike runs, without the air leak from the badly fitting airbox.

They last about 8-10 years. This is the second set I've had to replace in 22 years.

Latest posts

Back