Album

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loaded some new pictures on my Album you gents may get a kick out of.

O
Amazing photo's, I remember those days so well. I road lot's of dirt bikes in my youth. TT scrambles & such. Allways wanted to turn my old Triumph 500cc into a Captin America bike.But it ended up in desert scrambles instead.:coolgleamA:

Amazing photo's, I remember those days so well. I road lot's of dirt bikes in my youth. TT scrambles & such. Allways wanted to turn my old Triumph 500cc into a Captin America bike.But it ended up in desert scrambles instead.:coolgleamA:

looking back in time is often a hard thing to do.....................

O

Cool bikes, a Trumpet twin & a Sporty, completes w/"period-attired rider!" The Triumph looks like it is already close to a wheelie w/that extended front end pushing the steering head 'way-back. I wouldn't want to land that too-hard after a wheelie, it looks 'delicate.' I like the looks of a Sportster, especially the early ones. Looks like you must have had some good times then. Were you in MI? The state was bike-crazy!

Medic,

I lived in Saginaw until moving to Chesaning in the late 70's.

Saginaw is a dead and dangerous place now, not at all like it once was.

O

O thanks for sharing those pics. It was a walk down memory lane for me as well. The good ole days!:punk:
Mike

Medic,

I lived in Saginaw until moving to Chesaning in the late 70's.

Saginaw is a dead and dangerous place now, not at all like it once was.

O

Though I visit friends in MI every several years, I left nearly 40 yrs ago for FL. The job market in MI was really bad and I never regretted the move. I attended college in both. I lived in SW MI in h.s. & college before leaving. All I could afford then was a Yamaha 360 Enduro I bought new from M&M Cycle in Kalamazoo. I still have it.

I would have liked a 500 or 650 Triumph twin back then. When I bought my 360 Enduro, I saw a BSA Rocket III for sale at Gull Lake MI for < the purchase price of the Enduro. The owner was in Vietnam & told his parents to sell it. It ran fine & was a low-mileage bike, but I was in the market for an Enduro so I could ride back & forth to work and have fun w/my dirt bike riding friends. It had the 'raygun' 3-tube exhausts. Wish I could have had both, I might still have both!

You were a styling' dude on those rides! One of my friends who owned a bodyshop in Battle Creek MI bought the first 'boat tail' H-D Superglide that came to town. The white one, I always liked the looks of that. The Sportster could also be delivered w/a similar design tailpiece. Now they are rare because they were not well-received at the time. I think I read that model Superglide was Willie G Davidson's first complete style design brought to market.

Maybe we should have a new topic where the er, "mature" riders could post pics from their cobwebbed albums, and give the "young whippersnappers" some historical perspective of our motorcycling involvement.

i was still a lil boy back then.....but recall seeing those cool bikes:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Medic,

I worked part time in the Harley shop back then and got to ride the first "Boat Tail' we received, It was White, but also Red and Blue I believe. Also one of the guys bought the "Boat Tail" set up for his XLH, I did not care for that but dug the Super Glide. I made $1.00 an hour:rofl_200:

O

Yes it was red-white-&-blue. I always liked those. I saw an identical one at the H-D Museum in Milwaukee last summer. I was up there to visit my oldest brother for his 70th birthday. He was battling CA. His wife & I took him in a wheelchair thru the Museum. The staff asked her if she wanted the headset for the tour and she said, "no, I've got my brother-in-law!" I know some about H-D history but I spent plenty of time reading the displays. Then we all would talk about the bikes at points.

My brother's classmate was the person who gave me my first ride on a motorcycle, of course it was a H-D, probably a Panhead dresser as it was about 1960. He took me for a ride to the 5 & 10 and I bought a Testors balsa wood glider, which I slipped into my shirt to carry it on the way home. When I got there and dismounted, all I could think of was how-cool is that to ride? But, how could you see anything? My eyes were tearing constantly as I hung-on behind him and peeked out from around him as we rode. I finally gave us seeing where we were going and watched the side of the highway instead. I was probably 10 or 11.

When we got home and I went to assemble the glider, the wing was cracked. I must have crushed it hanging-on so tightly. The bike owner saw bow disappointed I was, and said, "get back on," and we went back to the store and he bought me another out of his pocket! So I got two rides that day on a cool Harley. It left a lasting impression.

Yes it was red-white-&-blue. I always liked those. I saw an identical one at the H-D Museum in Milwaukee last summer. I was up there to visit my oldest brother for his 70th birthday. He was battling CA. His wife & I took him in a wheelchair thru the Museum. The staff asked her if she wanted the headset for the tour and she said, "no, I've got my brother-in-law!" I know some about H-D history but I spent plenty of time reading the displays. Then we all would talk about the bikes at points.

My brother's classmate was the person who gave me my first ride on a motorcycle, of course it was a H-D, probably a Panhead dresser as it was about 1960. He took me for a ride to the 5 & 10 and I bought a Testors balsa wood glider, which I slipped into my shirt to carry it on the way home. When I got there and dismounted, all I could think of was how-cool is that to ride? But, how could you see anything? My eyes were tearing constantly as I hung-on behind him and peeked out from around him as we rode. I finally gave us seeing where we were going and watched the side of the highway instead. I was probably 10 or 11.

When we got home and I went to assemble the glider, the wing was cracked. I must have crushed it hanging-on so tightly. The bike owner saw bow disappointed I was, and said, "get back on," and we went back to the store and he bought me another out of his pocket! So I got two rides that day on a cool Harley. It left a lasting impression.

Medic,

I hope you brother is doing well today, my best.

Memories, so beautiful and yet can be so sad, but riding those bikes through the years are a life all their own that few can really understand,,, as you get older it can be melancholy. I can say the Max has brought me great joy and memories that I will take to my very end, those memories will be there and will be sweet.

O

O

Latest posts

Back