Any luck fixing handlebar vibration?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingrider

Reaction score
Hey All,

Among the many projects I did this spring, I put solid engine mounts in my 97, along with that, I sync'd the carbs, put new progressive shocks in the rear, (front springs were last summer) put bar end mirrors on it, and put a Morley seat on it.

I'm sure it's because of the solid motor mounts, but now my hands fall asleep due to vibrations in about 10 min of freeway riding. I'm going to check the carb sync again to be sure they didn't slip out, but I'm thinking I'm going to need to do something quick before I lose control due to my hands not working. :)

I know in order to lose vibs, you can add weight. From what I know, I can put weights on with these bar end mirrors, I just need to find a heavy set that they will clamp to. Here are the mirrors I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bar-...2598702QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I was wondering if anyone has used what they call a bar snake? Their claim is to reduce vibs, but I wonder if it really works, or if it's just a new form of snake oil.

Thanks for any help! :)

bar snake works ok. it'll help, not sure how much tho. mine was 'eh'. probably wouldn't do it agian.

Bar snake help me out a lot. After going to a drag bar, I couldn't ride more than 15 min before having to get off and let my hands rest some. I bought a bar snake thinking that it might double my ride time, but it made things way better. I can ride nonstop all day long without any problems. There are still some vibrations there but they aren't bad enough to cause me problems. $40 is worth a try in my book. Everyone is going to have diferent results.

bar snake works ok. it'll help, not sure how much tho. mine was 'eh'. probably wouldn't do it agian.
hey garret; is there any thing inside of that bar snake, or is it just like a rubber hose, just wondering if i can make something simmilar

hey garret; is there any thing inside of that bar snake, or is it just like a rubber hose, just wondering if i can make something simmilar

esseentially a solid rubber hose. i bet you could find something similar somewhere. i know a lot of guys use birdshot.

Also check out the Ricor website - their advertising banner flashes on top here.

They make the 'Vibranators', these are devices you fit inside your handlebars and resonate with the vibrations to cancel them out.

I have a set which I am going to mount after I install my solid motor mounts, and then I'll give a review.

The bars on my 90 weren't all that comfortable on a long trip so I brought them closer by chopping them as per the pic. The end result was a better riding position for me BUT the mod also got rid of any vibration with the solid mounts.
Of course this isn't for everyone but another thing to consider.
There is a write up in the mod section.

Attachments

• 006 (Large).jpg
    006 (Large).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for the help so far guys...the Ricor Vibranators look like they might be a good investment...figure a good set of end weights are going to be $40-50, throw another $35 into a bar snake, and you've got about $100 when it's all said and done.

Might be time to pony up for the end weighted vibrinators and take care of all the vibrations.

It might also be my grips that are causing some of the vibs, as they are more sport bike like than the originals. Either way, glad to know there is something out there that is worth while.

Used bar snake in the past - the liquid stuff - works ok - eliminates about half the vibs.

Just put in the Vibranators and already have bar ends - no long distance rides yet, but they do work better than bar snake - reduce about 80% or so of the vibration.

So far, happy with the Vibbbrannnatorrrrs :eusa_dance:

Mike

Thanks for the help so far guys...the Ricor Vibranators look like they might be a good investment...figure a good set of end weights are going to be $40-50, throw another $35 into a bar snake, and you've got about $100 when it's all said and done.

Might be time to pony up for the end weighted vibrinators and take care of all the vibrations.

It might also be my grips that are causing some of the vibs, as they are more sport bike like than the originals. Either way, glad to know there is something out there that is worth while.

I have no experience with bar ends, snakes or "vibranators"(??..!), but I can attest to the fact that adding extra mass will eliminate or reduce vibration felt thru the handlebars.
Prior to changing out, the stock bars on my 03 would vibrate the mirrors and cause my hands to go numb, or tingle, following an hour or so at highway rpm's. Syncing the carbs helped a tad, but no amount of tweeking of the handlebar clamp bolt tension, or rubber-mounting of the mirror stems, would eliminate the vibration completely.
In any case, I wanted bars with a bit more rise and pullback, but without any extra width. Nothing that suited my fancy was commercially available, so I bought some surplus "ape-hangers", cut off each side to give the rise and pullback needed, and then welded them to a piece of solid 7/8 " round stock . The mirrors now stay clear at all rpm's, and my hands don't tingle.
I don't suggest you go to such drastic steps, particularily if you are happy with the shape of your present bars, but by all means experiment with adding extra mass. Ain't gonna hurt!
Cheers, Miles

In years past I always used the foam grips and I found they helped a lot, they didn't look as fancy but they helped a lot. Of course now I am going for looks and not using them ......lol go figure

Back